1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Buy New Outfits?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Feb 9, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have clothes since 2005 and am not kidding..clothes have been through zillion laundry washes but many still looks quite good.not even worn out..
    the negative is I am not able to buy new clothes.I have a closet full of clothes but am not able to throw many stuff out coz they still look good.When I shop,I feel like why buy new clothes?

Reasons:

1) In USA,we go and come by car and also no matter what we wear,half the time it is covered with one jacket coz of weather.

2)You do not have peer pressure to look good.Hence,don’t give weightage to buying clothes as often.

3) Being a homemaker, mostly in house clothes.Even when I was working,I used to wear office type clothes and nothing fancy.

4) Do not have many social events and even if I do,wear sarees or sale at kameez and honestly do not mind repeating.

5) I have given many clothes to charity but since some are still so good that mind wavers.

How often do you guys buy clothes?How many times you get to wear your new clothes?

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

I buy if there is any sale or if I am going on a trip.(new cloth for new photo shoot)

QUOTE="anika987, post: 4174328, member: 353311"]I have clothes since 2005 and am not kidding..clothes have been through zillion laundry washes but many still looks quite good.not even worn out..
    the negative is I am not able to buy new clothes.I have a closet full of clothes but am not able to throw many stuff out coz they still look good.When I shop,I feel like why buy new clothes?

Reasons:

1) In USA,we go and come by car and also no matter what we wear,half the time it is covered with one jacket coz of weather.

2)You do not have peer pressure to look good.Hence,don’t give weightage to buying clothes as often.

3) Being a homemaker, mostly in house clothes.Even when I was working,I used to wear office type clothes and nothing fancy.

4) Do not have many social events and even if I do,wear sarees or sale at kameez and honestly do not mind repeating.

5) I have given many clothes to charity but since some are still so good that mind wavers.

How often do you guys buy clothes?How many times you get to wear your new clothes?[/QUOTE]
    I

gknew and anika987 like this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

So I was this person who goes to mall or some shops and buy when ever I see anything that fits me or on sale or whatever may be the reason. But since 3-4 years, I before I buy I ask myself, do I want this or do I need this? Is the answer is yes to the need question I will buy. Also, I have been following the new minimalist videos/articles and such and it had inspired me to buy less stuff, use what I have as much as possible. Now I own only stuff that I need. It helped me use my closet to fullest. Definitely lesser pieces than I had when I was in India or even 5 years ago. So answer to your question is I buy only when I think I need something. I go and look at my closet before I browse online or go to stores.

4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I am a hoarder in terms of old clothes. Cant let go of them easily.. since they still spark joy..

I buy something new every month, but it may sit in the closet until the perfect day arrives to wear it.. looking at some ppl and how they can dispose off their clothes to make room for new ones makes me think why i cant do the same.. new clothes new me!

I am in same scenario as you OP until
    I see my friends in new fashion clothes..i feel like changing my wardrobe.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Clothes shopping is my favorite hobby . I buy clothes every month. I am good at donating my nice clothes that I don’t feel like wearing anymore. My rule is one piece of cloth in, one out.
    I have three categories (other than Indian clothes): 1. Casual/weekend/ travel clothes- mostly jeans, tees, maxi skirts, strapless and maxi dresses. Clothes that I won’t wear at work.
    2. Business casual- Every day work clothes. Mostly pants, button down shirts, silk blouses, pencil skirts, knee length skirts, nice dresses.
    3. Business formal- suits that I only need may be twice a year but need to have. I often wear formal dresses so can use dresses from business casual.

I am petite and it’s not easy to find nice, well fitted clothes. I mostly order online, try and keep what I like. I do wear 80% of my clothes...20% are the ones I like but don’t really wear often (and they do spark joy so can’t donate them). I fluctuate between sizes 6 and 8 so need to have both sizes.

Trying to do a no cloth shop month, haven’t succeeded yet.

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Me too..when I was you g
    I love new clothes but don’t feel like wasting old ones..so these days I splurge on pedi/mani or a spa treatment..makes me feel
    Good:)

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Women and shopping go hand in hand.
    Atleast when I was in India I used to buy clothes for every festival, birthdays, family weddings etc. Sometimes even online shopping too.
    But here whenever I feel like I buy clothes don’t need any reason...
    Afterall I love shopping :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nov-Dec of each year is when all closets get cleaned [ items "not sparking joy" - go out ;)] and we invite the trucks from Goodwill, Salvation Army, Veterans of America, etc.. to come and get them. This is also the season for shopping for new things on sale too.

We have a rule about for X-items tossed, we get to buy Y items, where Y is much much less than X. That way we get new things, and yet our home/closets get more room.

And for those people who are sticklers about record keeping, there is also the form 8283 from the IRS for assigning some value to all those non-cash contributions and claiming a deduction in your tax returns for the year gone by.

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  9. Sri2196

Sri2196 Silver IL'ite

I love to shop for clothes. I shop every month. But i have my budget fixed. Max 1000rs per month.
    So mostly 2 kurtis.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I like clothes too and used to buy a lot when younger but now not many places to go or maybe
    In a way,have to agree new clothes makes us feel fresh and energized:)

pinkydarling and shravs3 like this.