1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

I Am Getting Ocd About Periods And Cleanliness. What To Do ??

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by EagerForInfo, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

you can use squeegees. I dont like them. I use regular tub cleaner and scrub them wearing gloves and rinse and then use bleach. using bleach keep it very clean and shiny which I like, and kills germs (I think).

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

After reading your account I feel all this to do with your recent childbirth. That is why you never noticed it before. Interestingly I had similar kind of body changes after my second kid. But not with first. So it varies even from kid to kid. My body felt different, heavier, smellier, bathing regularly became a must whereas before I barely sweated and bathing used to be merely to cool off or fresh up not because I actually felt dirty. Yes there may be a smell, your sense of smell is probably still magnified from the recent hormonal changes. Do you have vent fans in bathroom and kitchen? Run them regularly and air out the house regularly. Try not to go overboard with the measures and remember this is temporary. Drink lots of water and take a multi vitamin.
    Lot of changes happen around this time. Some temporary some permanent hard to tell. Even my taste preferences changed. I used to love spicy salty then after birth I was preferring sweets in quantities.
    All this continued for a good 18 months after the child’s birth and gradually tapered away. Discontinuing feeding and switching to solids and bottle at one year mark caused a slow change back to the normal, well what was normal for me. So hang in there.

lazy and startinganew like this.
  3. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

But why these feelings ? After taking a shower after periods the whole shower feels dirty for me. I locked the bathroom so no one uses it. Till I get a chance to clean it. I never had these feelings before. Now I wash my hands and legs before coming out of shower just in case the floor and tap and door are still dirty. All kinds of crazy thoughts. It’s ok ... but it takes waaaay too much time and is tiring doing so much. I am just posting here for solutions. This is my only issue otherwise on Normal days period free days I’m fine. It all started when I noticed smelly hands one day and the other time I noticed a red spot on my thumb finger while cooking during my period. Obviously now I clean my finger tips and each and every finger after using the restroom now. I just want to be clean without driving myself crazy. Sheesh.

4. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

And yes ur right after having second child periods are waaaaay heavier. Without knowing only I’ve changed my habits. Two underwear’s overnight pads for regular use. Every 3 hours do a change. Day or night. That is fine.

But it is this hand washing and clothes washing that is killing me. But I will get it checked out too.

But why these feelings ? After taking a shower after periods the whole shower feels dirty for me. I locked the bathroom so no one uses it till I get a chance to clean it. Bathroom is full of clothes that I need to hand wash. I never had these feelings before. Now I wash my hands and legs before coming out of shower just in case the floor and tap and door are still dirty. All kinds of crazy thoughts. It’s ok ... but it takes waaaay too much time and is tiring doing so much. I am just posting here for solutions. This is my only issue otherwise on Normal days period free days I’m fine. It all started when I noticed smelly hands one day and the other time I noticed a red spot on my thumb finger while cooking during my period. Obviously now I clean my finger tips and each and every finger after using the restroom now and under the nails and between the fingers. Sheeeshh. . I just want to be clean without driving myself crazy. Sheesh.
    And clothes also I noticed a red spot. Since then I can’t get peace of mind till I hand wash all clothes worn during periods. How will we have time on US for all these things ? If anyone can suggest some alternatives for some peace of mind without hours of labor and effort I would really really appreciate it.

I’m ready to start a job and I guess just getting showered and ready will send my blood pressure up the roof in the morning. That is the reason for this post.

5. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

You should definitely see a gynecologist. With so much bleeding, are you not feeling any weakness? Get a physical done, Pap smear too if necessary. The doctor may give you some supplements if necessary. Maybe you are going crazy with the heavy periods. It happens sometimes. At one point, I too started getting wary of going to restaurants, started developing OCD like symptoms, even now I do, not in terms of cleanliness but some other kind of thoughts, like if I see something gross, I tend to think about it too much, at least for 2-3 days till I decide to forget about it.

6. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

omg.. With all this work to do I ended up with more work to do ?! Please help. I have never stained the mattress in all the years I’ve gotten my period. I wear more than one underwear to prevent leaks. But you know what???? I stained the mattress 2 days ago !! I usually have a mattress protector to protect it from kids accidents but my son spilled all his juice on it so I just took it out to clean it and I got my period the same exact day. I have never missed prepping myself for periods that Is I wear a pad when I’m expecting my period but I too was not prepared. HOW TO CLEAN THE Mattress. I tried a couple of tips online but it didn’t work. Problem is I was soo tired that day so I kept rolling over the bed so I have smears and small stains all over out mattress bed. Sheeeshh. Why are my periods causing such a havoc all of a sudden. I’ve had heavy periods since my son was born so it’s not new.
    Please help me clean my mattress. ?!

ive gone to Gynaec who gave me a pelvic ultrasound. She said now i need a biopsy. I guess I’ll create a new thread for that but first how to clean my precious mattress???

And what do u guys do if u you touch the tissue role with dirty hands ?? I usually cut pieces ready for me even before sitting on the seat but this time I accidentally touched the whole toilet role with dirty hands. Feel like throwing it away but I can’t cause I already took 3 roles out this period. I just need answers now cause I too have a daughter and I need to be able to give her answers too. Omg. Sorry for long posts. I just don’t understand what I’ve done all these years. Why suddenly sooo many doubts. But first please give me tried and tested solutions to clean the mattress. I used to dream of the day when my son would sleep through the night play by himself during the day and go to school. But now when the day has come i have no time washing cleaning this period related clothes and junk. I feel overwhelmed.

Ok ... I’ll stop rambling. How to clean the mattress ? Sorry I feel embarrassed but this is a ladies forum. Hope I have not offended anyone.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

You are definitely having ocd symptoms.
    Talk with your doctor regarding these thoughts also.
    If it's an old mattress, just dump it.
    I use resolve to remove tough stains on clothes.
    Spray on the mattress stains. Let it soak .
    Wipe it off.
    Wear Gloves when doing this.

8. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Hi. Use a mattress protector for any leaks. And have u heard about menstural cups, it’s in my mind but never used and am planning to give it a try. If you have all these issues firstly as other gals suggested dr visit is first priority evaluate what’s happening w ur heavy flow. Then do some research on menstural cup which has been lot advertised nowadays. Also check w your gyn about the same. This can solve ur hygiene/ocd concerns once u get the hang of it’s usage. It might take many trials and end up w accidents but once u figure out u r safe. And u don’t have to deal w sanitary napkins, use disposable gloves to discard and reuse and not have to see in shower or restroom unless u want to remove after 10-16hr period. Which is a good time gives u a break from all these thoughts. Hope it helps.

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  9. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

It’s just period blood just like pee. Don’t over think and spoil ur mood. Just do what is required at the time for the hygiene. After few yrs of cycles one must have figured out ways to how to maintain cleanliness despite having a period. Use perfumes and keep a freshener at restroom if the smell bothers. And use gloves if you don’t like to touch. And the problem is solved. Once u have a solution, u will eliminate unnecessary thoughts. But medically u shouldn’t take easy on ur body. Ocd is just a mind set and there’s nobody watching what ur doing in restroom. Get everything done and be out of bathroom ASAP to stop ur mind to think.

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    It’s clear that you are physically in a highly depleted and weakened state due to your recent childbirth and present ongoing issue. You are probably anemic also due to all the blood loss not to mention the depletion of vitamins and minerals. A healthy mind needs a A strong body to fight off all these strange cravings, feelings, and morbid imaginings. I would suggest
    1. Follow up with the gynecologist, do the biopsy and fix the heavy period issue once and for all. It could be fibroids it could be improper cleaning of afterbirth heard this is very common in India. Later this can become bigger issue so take care of it now.
    2. Pay attention to your diet and daily rest. Eat healthy, regular meals, and EVERY DAY take your vitamins d3 and iron to replenish your body. If your home environment is stressful try to relax and destress regularly.

3. It will take an effort but try to snap out of it! Divert your thoughts, think of something else.

Personally though I never had ocd feelings I developed craze for chocolate around my heavy period time for few years. It went to extent that people were warning me about diabetes. Due to an unrelated reason I started taking daily vitamins and supplements and without my noticing all my chocolate and sweets cravings disappeared after a period of time. I now feel all these cravings and imaginings are the body’s way of early warning about diet depletion of one essential component or another.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    MalStrom likes this.