1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are we a noisy people?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear uma,
    Thank you for the fine FB.
    I don't even want to think about the schooling days of mine when I used to struggle to study in the midst of this thamasha.
    love
    mithila kannan

2. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear mithila,
    As responsible people let us educate our children to talk softly at home.Good habits start at home.Educate our relatives and people who are close to us, not to clear their throats in that loud and ugly fashion in hotels,unmindful of people sitting near the wash areas.

nice topic about noise pollution.i too agree with u.....
    in temple , nalla swami pattu than ketkirathu but,kalyana mandapatthil, after 10 p.m ,janvasam annikku,nalla sound paatu vaitthu kolluvanga...when we were in Tambaram sanotorium .after 10 p.m it should be banned......
    You should visit Bombay during Diwali. The noise is deafening, horrible. Inspite of requesting citizens to enjoy with noiseless crackers, they continue to burn the noisiest ones. The old "Sutli" or "Atom Bomb" is the most noisy. The new crackers explode in the air and the noise spreads. All this is done after 10 pm. No one can stop this. Apart from the noise, a foul smell hangs in the air leaving us with a sore throat the day after Diwali. So we can't eat the sweets. Instead go to the doctor and get a big hole in your pocket. So on one day you burn the money with noise and the next day you are forced to spend silently. I am sure there are better ways to celebrate.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila,

Each to their own.If any one wants to do Bjana and Kirtans, do it quietly, but in any which way there will be noise.That is why I don’t like it.Otherwise anything to do with God is fine, but we must do it privately and quietly.

Regards.kamal

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear MK,

We are not only noisy people but also nosy people… hahahahahahaha…. I have been brought up in a place where there are lot of temples… It starts from Adi masam and goes till next year beginning… Adi masam, navarathiri, karthigai, Ayyappan bhajanai etc… So.. It used to be full of blaring songs…

I used to enjoy all those songs… Espcially LRE blaring her… The thiruvilayadal vasanam and all… Even today I remember some of those songs, bhajans etc… The greatest advantage used to be that the people will be awake to change the songs etc and there was no fear of robbery or safety… They used to enquire if they find anybody new in the area etc… The lights used to illuminate the whole area…

Today, I am in a place where even vehicle honking is wrong and not allowed unless it is necessary… But the place is so silent… sometimes we feel whether there is anybody alive in the buildings etc… We get so engaged in our own work, we don’t even know our neighbours and next door people… We feel it is nosy and poky… We will not know, even if something happened to our neighbours, till somebody comes and enquires us…

So, everything has its own plus and minus… Today, I miss all those noise… feeling lonely and secluded… hahahahahahahaha… Enjoyed reading your post….

Veda

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mithila,

Noise during festivities does not worry me or give me any headache, but if a neighbour plays his music loud (it can be full 250 PMPO) just to show he owns ONE! irritates me! Repeated noise of a water droplets from a tap irritates me, water falling on the asbestos sheet of the balcony of a flat irritates me, children using the building corridor to play ball and shout 'OUT" irritates me! The irritation depends on from where and for what purpose the noise is!
    A lady standing at her door and talking on top of her voice, disturbing all her neighbours (check my story - savvy lets run) irritates me!
    I have to mention the noise of crackers blows my head and mind! Patients in hospitals, small infants in cradle, oldies at home all shiver with the bang!! I would go all out to ban the noisy crackers!!
    Any noise that breaks my sweet morning nap irritates me! I have made a separate box for the Newspaper vendor, Garland Vendor (for God), Milk Vendor to drop it there and no ringing bell! I have told them clearly!! I get a headache, if I do not wake up naturally!! No cups of tea or pills can cure that hangover!!

If I sound strange, you know the reason of me being single till date!

6. Jayalakshmi Mohan

Jayalakshmi Mohan New IL'ite

Hello Mithila
    I went thro' this thread only today.
    We are also affected party like you as our house is in a junction and all nearby temples place the cone speakers in the junction facing all direction.
    My husband used to tell those people when they come for collections.
    He would go several times to the person operating the system to reduce the volume.
    But 'ellam sevidan kaadil oodhiya sangu' daan!
    No one will respond. I wonder why no one other than us resist this. I feel like running away to some other place.
    We also make it a point not to attend marriage reception if there is a light-music is arranged for that event. Else, we will stand outside the hall, away from the noise and return home as early as possible.
    Moderate noise of children playing, music played and people talking doesn't affect us. Only when it exceeds the limit it's poison.
    I used to enjoy the sounds of early morning train whisling, church bell and MS music or MLV thiruppavai during margazhi played in a low intensity.

7. mithila kannan

My dear jayalakshmi,
    Sorry for the delay in replying your FB.
    There are some sunds that we enjoy listening to,for eg the cry of a newborn baby.That reminds me,when we were at Delhi children of my maid who lived in the servant qrters used to make noise.One afternoon I told them to keep quiet since my husband was nappingh.But my husband said,"Don't tell them to keep quiet,the noise that they make is like music to my ears.I can't nap without that."
    There are some sounds like the blaring horn and the loud music from speakers taht bewilder us.
    Thanks for the lovely comment.
    love
    mithila kannan

8. mithila kannan

My dear mals,
    You only are capable of expressing even your anger in an entertaining fashion.Thats a good idea keeping a separate box for milk vendor and the flowerwallah.
    But that should not deter you my dear from tying the knot,because you will have some ne to open the door in the middle of afternoon on a saturday or sunday to receive a courier.You can train the DH,but alas,I have not succeeded in that dept.
    Thanks for the lovely,lively malspie special FB.
    love
    mithila kannan
    PS:My mil passed away,hence the delay n replying the mail.

9. mithila kannan

Dear saikrupa,
    Sorry for the delay in replying yur fb,due to unavoidable reasons.I do agree with you,wrong music at wrong places at wrong times irritate us no doubt.
    love
    mithila kannan