1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help- New To Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Sansa, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

I live in US -California and I would like to start gardening in apartment balcony with easy to grow plants initially. Any idea would be helpful. No idea where to start, what kind of soil, fertilizer to use. Appreciate the help

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would start off with a "money plant" or real name Pothos plant.
    pothos.jpg

Home Depot sells jasmine plants year round that bloom for 3-4 weeks in early spring.

Or look around for "mogra" flower plant. The closest I could find was this Arabian Tea jasmine plant:
    arabian jasmine.jpeg

Oh I just remembered: check out the Drop-n-Bloom options at 2-3 local Home Depot's. Easy way to get started with container gardening. You can ask the staff at Home Depot for advice on what soil to buy. Once you have bought a plant, google its care.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    joylokhi and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rihanna. Any idea on vegetable plants like tomato or herbs ?

4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Tomatoes and herbs like pudina, can be grown very easily in pots with the usual potting soil. Just squeeze after cutting open at the top, a very ripe tomato on the soil and spread a layer of soil, a half inch in thickness above.
    Pudina sprouts very easily with just the stalks planted from pudina got from the market. similarly you can grow methi too , by sprouting it first and then sowing . Try in the beginning with these easy plants, and you will very soon get comfortable and experiment with more. Do let us know the results of your efforts.

shravs3 and Sansa like this.
  5. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much. I’m gonna try this weekend and will let you know definitely