1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Tried Or Trying Intermediate Fasting

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by deepthivinayak1, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@deepthivinayak1 Your fasting window starts at 7pm. It is the end of the meal to the start of next meal.

deepthivinayak1 likes this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

What do you all eat during the eating period? Do you eat rice, roti etc?
    Or skip them and eat only healthy like salads/veggies/quinoa/fruits etc.

I recently had my blood work done and my Insulin was a little high.I was really shocked!
    Doctor has told me to strictly follow healthy diet along with exercise.
    Although I’m unable to cut rice completely I try to have it 2 or 3 times a week.
    But damn those cravings or those parties :neutral:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    nuss likes this.
  3. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    Mostly I try to eat low carb diet esp for dinner. I eat three meal in this 8 hr eating period ,only then u won’t feel hungry during fasting period. If you attend parties, try to eat early or have long fasting next day. It might help. If u feel hungry,eat almonds. If u crave something eat in limit and have a habit that if one meal u eat junk food,have long fast or next meal healthy one without carb.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

the good thing about it is no restriction on what to eat. You can eat what you want but eat within the eating window

I would suggest you consult dr and don’t start IF due to your insulin issues . You need to follow the diet suggested by your dr

shravs3 likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks.
    Yes I had already spoken to my doctor that I was on IF when I went for annual exam. She said it’s good to do IF.
    Actually during holiday season had loads of sugary stuff I somehow feel it was because of this.

7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

The fast time begins the moment you are ‘done’ eating.

Weekend Challenge !!
    Weekends are the biggest challenge for many, including myself. Since my fast skips dinner n most of the events are in the night, the eating time goes topsy turvy due to weekend social events.
    Few things I follow:
    I won’t eat until unless I really, really like something.
    I don’t eat for the sake of eating even if there’s many things in front of me.
    If I ‘must’ eat, I pick less or healthy n eat that plate sooooo slowly that it lasts the whole night for me .
    My self control is pretty good here, I won’t eat just because my other friends are eating in front of me, it developed over a period of time n they will keep taunting / teasing me about the food in front of us, won’t bother me.
    So half of those events are manageable.

But when the other half of when I do want to eat or important events where I have to eat happens, the balance happens in the next two days by either extending my fast time or eating very healthy food.

Does this mean that you can’t eat any sinful food ?
    No way. All this doesn’t mean I am controlling my mouth all the time, I do piggy out during my meal time. I love junk, have a big sweet tooth, I love good Italian n desi food. I am basically a foodie. N this lifestyle helps me to maintain weight n still let’s me eat what I want.

IF with a combo of very healthy food, makes you lose weight.
    IF with regular food (with maybe even a lil junk), maintains weight.
    And these weight stays off too until unless someone eats a lot or eats high calorie food.

Does it work ??
    Out of the million things I tried to lose n maintain weight, by far this has been the easiest (not when I started), best n the healthiest for me. N I can see myself doing it even in my 80s or 100s :roflmao:

After I started this, I realized my mil has been doing the exact same thing since she was young, she has no clue about IF. It was a lifestyle she created for herself, if she eats one heavy meal, she skips the next meal. She fasts so easily n frequently, like IF. She’s in her 60s now n touchwood, she looks like she’s in her 40s health n activity level wise. That was a live example for me to see.

Rihana and SunPa like this.
  8. NaiveLady

NaiveLady Senior IL'ite

I've had an interest in fasting for at least a few years, after having attended a yoga retreat and learning about a juice fast there. Although I've never done any particular practice of fasting, I did participate in a one-day solidarity fast for Ramadan and found that to be more doable than I had expected it to be. Regarding keto diet, I have also heard others (besides yourself) mention that they lost weight while following it. I honestly don't think I have the willpower to follow the keto diet though I admire those that are able to stick to it (I am also a vegetarian) so don't beat yourself up for your "laziness" as you put it.

As for intermittent (I think that's what you meant when you wrote intermediate?) fasting, I have read that that is good for the body and giving the digestive system time to rest and recover, since energy doesn't need to be used in performing digestion. As a surviving cancer patient who has recently finished treatment, I have learned that intermittent fasting also starves cancer cells. Of course, with any major lifestyle choice, there are pros and cons to consider; pros as I see it would be that besides what was just mentioned, one can focus on eating lighter and easier to digest foods (e.g. fruit/milk fast) and even have some leeway when one eats depending on the type of fast (e.g. suppose you follow an 8 hour diet, in which you only eat within an 8 hour window during a 24-hour day, you should be able to theoretically eat whatever/how much ever you want though obviously the more balanced/healthier the better). Of course, you have to consider your current health/well-being before consider embarking upon a fast.

9. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Past one week I am trying intermittent fasting.i follow 16:8 hours. I eat three meal in this 8 hr period and also make sure I am having enough fat and protein in this period. This works for me. When I try diet, I follow for certain period ,I lose weight but when I start to eat normal food, I gain weight again . But if I follow this fasting as my lifestyle .i hope I can lose weight and also maintain my weight. I have my last meal at 6.30 pm. My fasting start from 7 pm to 11 am. I have black coffee in morning and drink lots of water ( one thing I am happy that I am taking water than before in this winter climate). I also drink warm water whenever I can.

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Guys, thanks to all for the interesting information, links and the questions and answers. Been thinking about trying this for a while now.

Not a brave soul myself when it comes to a hungry stomach, I started with really baby steps - advanced dinner time by 20-30 mins each night the past four days. It is quite an experience to hang around at the dinner table when others are having food and I am done. More regular and disciplined attempt from February 1st.

Got "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Jason Fung. Looks like he has a new book coming out in April: Life in the Fasting Lane: How to Make Intermittent Fasting a Lifestyle