1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Tried Or Trying Intermediate Fasting

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by deepthivinayak1, Jan 22, 2020.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Tried last year along with Keto diet. After a week, my weight started decreasing like 1kg a day. After I lost 6kgs, I stopped. Didnt gain that weight later. My body is now adjusted to new weight.

Would like to do only IF now and not Keto, means I am going to take less carbs. But find it difficult to lose the 7am coffee, DH makes for me :) . I can have my dinner at 6pm. if I have coffee at 7am, window is only 13hrs.. is it still worth?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Happy to help!

My husband and I are in academia (professor) so we can make our own schedule. During the spring semester (Jan-May) I teach at 8 and like to be on campus by 7:30. It takes me ~15 minutes to walk from parking to the class. So, in the spring I leave home at 7 am, drop my daughter at the daycare (on the way) and get to work by 7:30. We live about 10 min drive from the campus. I work until 6 on MWF and till 2:30 on TTh. My husband picks up the kids (one from the school and other from the daycare) on MWF and I pick them up on TTh. On Friday my son takes after school classes and my husband picks him up at 5.

Activities. We have only two main activities. Martial Arts half-hour class thrice a week (any day) and gymnastics (1 hr class on Thursday). My son takes Tennis and music classes on Friday- both after school and the teachers/coaches come to the school. My daughter also does Martial Arts but the teacher comes to the preschool and we don't have to take her anywhere. My son (first grader) goes for Martial Arts on MTW and depending on who is picking up (my husband on MW and me on Tues), we take him to the studio (8 min drive from our home). My daughter does gymnastics on Thursday and I take her there. My son does his homework for an hour when we are at the gymnastics. My husband drops our son at the bus stop (8 AM) and then leaves for work.

Homework: In first grade, homework is still not a whole lot. We do 30 minutes reading and whatever extra homework there is. Our son reads at night before bed and then we read to them. He is in advance math and gets quite a bit of math homework. Usually does his homework in the morning after my daughter and I leave and my husband helps him with the homework for 30-45 minutes. We have a full hour at the gymnastics so he gets good 3-4 hours during the week. On Sunday, I teach him Hindi, we do a 30-45 minutes class. No homework on Saturday but we play a lot of card games and board games to do math and critical thinking.

In the fall, I teach at 11 AM so thinks are a bit different but I still get to work by 8 AM. No classes in summer but our son goes to summer camp (9-5) and we keep the same schedule. My husband does all his teaching in the fall and it works out for us quite well. We switch days in the fall and he picks up the kids twice a week and I pick up three times.

Kids go to bed at 8:15/30 and wake up at 6:30. We give then bath at night. In the morning, just change and have breakfast. I usually pack an extra breakfast for my daughter to eat at the preschool. I am not big on breakfast, I just eat a banana or an apple and get a coffee from the cafe in my building before the class. For lunch, we pack a lunch for our daughter and our son gets a hot lunch at the school. My husband and I usually pack our lunches or buy a sandwich or soup at work. We have a few very good local restaurants for healthy choices on campus.

Dinner- Whoever picks up the kids fixes dinner. Since we use a lot of salads, veggies, and fruits, it's always a salad, homemade bread (my husband bakes his own multigrain bread- set up in the breadmaker overnight; sometimes I make roti or stuffed paranthas), and a protein (chicken/fish/beef/ lentils/beans). Kids drink milk at bedtime and then off to bed.

We spend 2-3 hours working after kids go to bed and if we need to catch up on things at work, we go to work over the weekend. One of us takes the kids to the local science museum (we are members and go almost every Saturday), library, or a park while the other gets the work done or we all go to the museum/library. We have a lot of hiking trails in and around our city and we are still exploring.

We are a team. My husband does most of the cooking over the weekend and I take care of the laundry and dishes. I rarely cook a whole meal. I help with the sides etc. If my husband wasn't helping, we wouldn't have been successful.

kkrish, SunPa, Vaikuntha and 7 others like this.
  3. beingmom

beingmom Silver IL'ite

Love seeing your schedule. can you share your husband's recipe for multi-grain bread? thanks!

nuss, anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

:clap2:

anika987 likes this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you @nuss for your response . I have been trying this on and off and have to find a suitable window for me . I am trying different combinations of two meals a day only and controlling the portion sizes , if i know i am not eating for a while i end up eating some more :D and that too carbs ..i really think i wont be able to survive till the next day . Lots of self control to do here :wink1:
    also i read your response to anika's schedule request...omg i can only do this :worship2: to you . superb management . i got to follow it.

nuss and anika987 like this.
  6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I have been doing it past two months. I do 16:8 , basically boils down to meals a day and I eat between 9 to 5 which works best.

I used to basically drink tea in the morning and most days no breakfast or very late breakfast because of drive to work or meetings and most days my lunch used to be late. So I kind of made into a pattern and pushed my tea time from 7:30 to 9 and my lunch time to around 4 and I end by tea at 5 . I feel full and don’t feel like eating after 5

the most benefit is that I stopped eating all junk and limited myself to two good sized meals .

Vaikuntha, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

you may want ask husband to push coffee by 15 minutes every day till you reach the time you want else you can ask him out it in a flask.

in general if you stop eating by 6 it will eliminate junk food intake so it will help to some extent

anivijay and anika987 like this.
  8. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    How do you calculate the time frame.? The time u started eating food or time you finished food?

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you have to do 16*8 means you have 8 hours window for eating so you can pick start and stop time which ever is feasible to you.

If you cannot do 16* 8 , you can start with 14 *10 or 12*12

Rihana likes this.
  10. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

I am doing 16:8 intermediate fasting. Should I start my fasting time when I start eating last meal or when I finish my meal.? Ex: in evening, I have my last meal at 6.30 pm(start eating) finish eating by 7 pm. Should I count my fasting time from 6.30 or 7 pm?