1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Do Vipassana At Home

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by SuiDhaaga, Jan 20, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

So far I meditate 20 minutes when I wake (still lying in bed), and 20 minutes before I sleep (still lying in bed).

How to do Vipassana for hours at a time. Can I do this once a week, say on Sunday.

Goal is to meditate for several hours at a stretch at least once a week. I have few free hours every Sunday.

Please help.

heron and KashmirFlower like this.

2. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Vipassana means to develop "insight". Insight into yourself, your actions, your thoughts. In order to do Vipassana you continually hone your self awareness. Be aware of yourself. Your body sensations and thoughts. By being constantly aware of yourself you become a witness to yourself. Observe your body sensations and how mind and body are inter dependent. If possible go for a Vipassana retreat to learn the technique formally. Check out www.dhamma.org.

heron and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much ....... now when I do tasks, such as washing dishes, I try to only focus on washing dishes. If my mind wanders, I say, "uh oh, wandering rabbit, lets get back on track".

Just today I tried chanting "om" just to stay focused at the present moment (helps me stay awake during meditations!).

Next, I'd like to try body scan of myself .... I hope one day to go to Vipassana retreat.

4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

:)... need to be in this club

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Anytime your mind wanders don’t verbalize that it has wondered. Just be aware it has wondered and bring it back to the present moment. Practicing mindfulness during daily activities is also a form of meditation. When you are breathing be aware of your breathing and body movement. Where do you live ? I can suggest some good meditation centers to learn meditation.