How To Handle Work Place Jealousy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jas82688, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies .. the title itself gives you the idea of what prob am facing ..

Little background .. am working for full time in US last 4 years .. 5 people are there in my team ..

There was a senior resource when we joined who helped us .. I have worked really hard to keep this position and learn new technology at present job .. grabbed all opportunities when ever they asked .. worked most of the week ends .. never took off for vacation But general two weeks vacation for health related issues ..

I lost my work life balance to finish my projects on time worked more than 10 hours a day ..

My team was really great and very supportive until last few months ..

The senior resource left few months back then my manager preferred me as senior resource since I took all challenges without a push back and completed them successfully .. I have never mentioned them I worked for more than 10 hours since it’s my headache to complete it ..

So I got promotion after4 years of hard work .. from then I started seeing the jealousy of the other team mates ..

We used to share work before .. these days I see a long face if I share work also they stared asking me why I am giving them work .. it’s not like am bossing them I just shared work that we used to do as a team even before ..

We used to go for lunch break and coffee break all are stopped .. if I initiate also getting back the ans like we atleady had it or not hungry or we will go later like that .. I can seee the dissatisfaction in the face ..

In work we used to help each other a lot now they don’t even reply me if I ask them a question ..

It’s not possible for me to handle all the work I need their support .. but they are jealousy because I got promotion.. I don’t want to take it my manager..

They work great on technical side but when it comes to taking challenges They step back that made me diff from them ..

Not sure how to handle these people professionally.. I loosing mental peace at work .. since 3 people are a group now am left alone ..

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I dont know about your field. Deal it professionally. Everything in written form. Send emails on the work they have to do. If they dont respond, next time , cc your manager too. Take it easy, focus on your work. Bb positive, cool and behave like you normally do. We cannot control others response, but we can control our response.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

congrats! don't try to please them, get more busy and do your work and have your coffee or lunch at desk. Be more professional and show them the difference that where you are now is because of you working hard and for being on top of the things.

As said by ddream handle the work assignment professionally by involving their managers.
    After few months they will forget/tired of being jealous and get busy with their work.

4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to share something about lunch breaks, coffee breaks - that's a time for a lot of people to unwind in a casual setting in between a hectic work day. The "casual-ness" is very difficult to have with a manager/team-lead in the midst. Sorry to put it bluntly - it's OK once in a while - but I personally wouldn't prefer it. :) Lunch with the team + manager just feels like another meeting. :)

I had this experience recently - we all were a small team and worked very well together. We had lunch together everyday. One team-mate got promoted (rightfully so and so no jealousy/ill-will existed). We were all very happy for him. But after that - it became quite uncomfortable to get together for lunch - where we chatted about direction of company, concerns, worries, too-little work, too-much work, the un-said directives from higher-ups, payscale, who is looking for other opportunities, who is attending what meetups to keep their network open, etc. And gradually the manager-turned teammate seemed to find others to have lunch with - others in people-management positions, his "circle" changed. He would join once in a while (once in 2/3 weeks, maybe) and those days (I would still feel uncomfortable) but he took it as an opportunity to open up and share as much as he could - to make the situation less formal for everyone. I got reminded of how organically the dynamics changed in our team - only after thinking about it parallel to what you are describing in your post.

Adding my experience to say that the lunch/coffee dynamics changes even if there are no negative-vibes due to one teammates promotion.

Also in all my workplaces, we used to have after hours "leaf-node only"* get togethers or evening out. We could share this with the manager with a smile - to simply convey he/she was not invited. :) Some could take that this is normal - and also joke about it. [*"leaf-node" term coming from the typical organization-chart].

Rihana likes this.