1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“you Are Old, Father William The Young Man Said”lewis Carrol

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 1, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Clamming up when required to speak up and non stop recall of anecdotes at inopportune moments is a sign of old age.Nothing can be done about it.On a similar occasion when the son in law took over Doctor said that he would like to hear from the patient directly.In fact friends seek my advice for simple ailments as they know that every part of my anatomy has been subjected to medical scrutiny .Seniors are not worried about when but deeply concerned about how.
    Happy New Year and Regards
    SLN

satchitananda likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sln uncle (I hope I am qualified to call you uncle as I am 65 years old myself),

Thank you for presenting all your visits to the hospitals for procedures and treatment with such a sense of humor. Your acceptance of life is something contagious and I wish some of that I can learn from you as I get older and older. Your enthusiasm to keep your mind unaffected by your health issues is something that is needed to keep yourself healthy.

I am learning a lot from your snippets to prepare myself for getting older.

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    It is my privilege to be addressed as uncle."Ke sera sera whatever will be will be,the future is not ours to see,ke sera sera" [DORIS DAY IN THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH].Fretting and Fuming will make matters only worse.Looking at humour in every situation makes us feel lighter.Idukann vandhal Nahuha-Thiruvalluvar said to learn to smile in difficulties.Ageing gracefully is an art and can be cultivated with conscious efforts.My months are numbered but still I am making investment in seven year bonds.You write well and that should keep you happy particularly when you get encouraging FB.You are too young by current standards to think of ageing.All the best.
    Regards SLN

4. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

SLN Uncle,
    Thank you for writing this snippet. It is a great attitude you have about aging. Imagine so many years ago, thiruvalluvar composed those lines about dealing with adversities. And to think - that some take good situations and whine about it as though there is a ‘real adversity’. Thank you for the positive approach to life.

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear @sln Sir (I am taking the safe approach - Not Uncle or Thatha :)
    There you go again!
    Your sense of humor is fabulous. If there another superlative to this word, consider it said.

The past two months I have been exposed to the medical world as a caregiver and I was visualizing everything you wrote with my own experience during the stay in the hospital and the post visits.

"Idukkan varungaal Naguga" ... yes sir. Humor is the best lubricant that can oil and keep our lives running smoothly in the world of human idiosyncrasies.
    There is humor everywhere in this world. I have found out that once we begin looking at everything from that angle, even irritable situations turn out to be funny.

Thank you once again for a wonderful, smile inducing article.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

One way of looking at old age,is that as we reach the summit, we have world at our feet.Thiruvalluvar had simple solutions for complex problems if only care to read what he has said.SLN

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kkrish,
    Thanks for endorsing my view.My brothers wife complained that her husband had laughed when she slipped and fell down.My brothers reply was that is what Thiruvalluvar had suggested.
    When some one fairly well off complained about exorbitant hospital bills back came the reply "count your blessings-you can afford it". There is a positive side and sometimes offshoot of problems bring about long term benefits like quitting smoking,drinking etc.
    Regards SLN

satchitananda and kkrish like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Unfortunately both are not humor sir. This is a clear case of understanding the message at a tangent. :)

Actually I don't like laughing at other people's misfortunes or at others expense. That is cruelty.
    It also does not mean one should never worry or feel sad.

In fact people with a sense of humor also are very caring and very sensitive to other peoples needs and they often provide strong emotional support when and where needed.

Also folks with a sense of humor know the discretion on when to use it and when not to.

Here is a good article on sense of humor: A good sense of humor is a sign of psychological health

Mistt likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You are right.You cant have humour at the expense of others particularly when they are in difficulties. Humour must be spontaneous and suited to the occasion.I will have a look at the article-in the meanwhile you may wish to have a look at my snippet"ON SPONTANEOUS HUMOUR"posted years back.
    Regards.SLN

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sure, will do Sir.