1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saas Vs Saap

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

There is a subtle difference between Sainthood as a Service (SaaS) and Sainthood as a Profession (SaaP). Those who really delve deep into themselves with the help of studying the scriptures, cleansing their body and mind, adhering to the austerity, lead a life to set an example, share their knowledge with an intent to make the world a better place, unassuming in their demeanor, remain in the society with a specific intent to pray for the well-being of the society, etc., have demonstrated qualities of SaaS.

However, many choose study the scriptures with an intent to play one up with the rest, pretend to have cleaned their body and mind, lead a luxurious life despite their claimed position as a saint, lead a life that is distasteful, share their knowledge to build their individual wealth, pretending to be a realized soul, remain in the society to attract as many people as possible to serve the saint to increase their name, fame and wealth, etc. They can be classified under the category of SaaP.

A true self-realized saint doesn’t promote himself to earn a living out of his knowledge. He leads a simple life of austerity and let the society find him. They don’t promote their knowledge through a set of disciples/followers to find more disciples/followers. They don’t build wealth for their personal good but everything they receive out of love and reverence (not forced), they redistribute to the society to serve them. This discrimination is essential before anyone makes a long-term commitment to listen to the teachings and to dedicate the life to serve those saints. A true saint doesn’t like to possess wealth but give everything he has, to serve the people in need. They are rich in their heart and not in their wealth.

A true saint lives in the trust of the followers and not out of the trust set up to collect wealth. A mere setting up of not-for-profit organization and the amount of wealth the saint receives and accumulates doesn’t reveal the true intention of the saint. Before anyone contributes, he should look at for what purpose such trust money is applied for. Religious beliefs should not blind anyone to commit themselves, their families and their wealth to a saint. On the contrary, one who is a true saint should have a purpose of transforming the individuals and redistribute wealth to the needy and not transfer wealth to the saint.

Any saint who is suggesting to blindly follow him and his teachings without a proper inquiry is misleading the aspirants. Before accepting anyone as a spiritual guru, one should understand the true purpose is to find a way for self-transformation that leads to self-realization. Saints must always suggest one to make inquiries, remove desires and attachment, hold every possession with a mindset of a trustee (not contribute everything to his trust), remain unaffected by pleasures and pains and most importantly set his lifestyle to be an example of everything he preaches others.

There must be a law passed to make every trust formed by the saints into a public charitable trust involving the prominent independent citizens of the society monitoring the source and use of funds. Any saint who has been found guilty in a court of law should be stripped of the trust funds immediately and a court appointed liquidator should redistribute the contributions made to the trust equitably. Until vast majority of the citizens can discriminate the difference between SaaP and SaaS, the law should be strictly enforced irrespective of the religion such saint belongs. The saints contributing money for political purposes and politicians becoming enablers of saints should be prohibited.

Religious belief can’t be used as a tool to promote wealth, name and fame for individual saint or hatred towards other religions. The government should build this awareness across the entire country and they could do it only if they themselves don’t discriminate one religion against the other. Religion should be kept out of politics and for promoting individual empires by saints. Religion should be practiced only inside homes and inside the place of worship without any disturbance to the society.

girvani, kkrish, Agathinai and 4 others like this.

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Viswaji, Title confused me. I was thinking that for most women on this forum SAAS = SAAP . Then I realized this was a post about saints, nothing to do with mother in laws !

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I thought the same :p

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Viswamitra

@SinghManisha & @Sunshine04,

Thank you for your responses. I am not a frequent visitor to Relationship Forum and unfortunately, I am not familiar with the terms SaaS and SaaP with reference to MILs. Please enlighten me.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

+ 1 on this one . I completely agree to what @SinghManisha said uncle . I read this snippet in the morning itself and thought the same about the title . But I had this little doubt that am I the only one to think like this . In the absence of any meaningful contribution to the actual subject , I didnt want to just focus on the title so controlled my itching.
    Just for enlightenment purpose :facepalm: : Saas in hindi is MIL . Saap (shrap in hindi) (saap is snake too) is curse . Hence the curiosity :tongue: Sorry for moving away from the actual topic of the post .

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

@Caughtinbetween,

Thank you for answering my question. It is always a pleasure to receive your response to my snippet. Therefore, SaaS = SaaP in @singhmanisha’s response means MIL = Curse/Snake. I am enlightened now. :worship2:

Caughtinbetween and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Like the comedian Vadivelu I would like to say,” Neenga Engeyo poyiteenga.” We the ordinary mortals, watching our daily share of snake serials aired on the TV have the habit of looking at everything- you know it, a saaph.
    Scores of Mutts under different names, are sitting on a huge pile of money, most of it unaccounted, the Heads - enjoying all the comforts of a crorepathi. It’s the people who ought to be blamed , for their utter foolishness, for their lack of faith in God, and for their running after these saamiyaars, in the fond hope that their problems will be solved forever. Most of the Mutts have powerful political connections, without which they wouldn’t survive. The moment there is an IT raid these samiyars are off to exotic islands, to spend their leisure with their beautiful devotees. So much for religion and God! Candid write up. A Happy New year to you and your family.

Agatha83

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A beautiful hilarious with sharp pointers to a besotted Nation & a vivid rational take on ochre or orange robes. I enjoyed the snippet.

Why additional a? It could be SHS- SAINTHOOD SERVICE
    (DSHS)
    SAINTHOOD PROFESSION
    (DSHP)
    Who knows? These abbreviations might denote diploma or degree or even masters all over the world. Indian yoga, Indian political science, Indian cuisine et al have all become academic PURSUITS & right now undergoing advance research in
    International renowned universities across the globe.

This captures the essence of few who recently shifted their camps to Havana & Honolulu ( aka kailayam)

In complete contrast to Adi Shankara, prophet Mohammad, Father Jesus Christ and so on, the so called followers manage their “modern gurus” funds with a cut.

They have stout heart for young ones!

• The Nation is in urgent need of guidance as citizens are beset with uncertainties all day & night and so in desperation turn to orange or ochre clad and turban-head with false rich-beard carrying cheque books and credit/debit cards.
    • Followers -read - disciples are in mundane world not bothered for self realisation or transformation.
    • Many are in need of magic wand, potions, to pass exam, TTC, foreign job, greener pastures beyond Indian shores, already rich life partner, financial stability and comforts.
    • They believe their belief in Many modern Saints would cause a miracle -that would fetch them what they need or desire without any hard work on their part.

I should tweet this idea to attention of those at helm so that like famous and popular temples’ trusts taken over by Tamil Nadu Government this saints turned affluent overnight cheating the gullible forget their profession once for all.

lol. mot juste.
    Thanks & Regards.

God- Hypocrites you know - but you wait for long to expose and punish them in INDIA

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I am always amazed at how many people are always seeking - it is our innate nature to seek, right? What is it we are seeking? It is best to not to go into the debate of seeking, but just like any other business proposition of the world, once a need/want has been identified, a model is built to fulfill that. It is as always up to the consumer to identify. At least this is what I believe. We recently had a debate about the same in a small get together and perhaps I was the only one who took a stand that if we do not believe in a person or his philosophy, we need not follow him by doing all the programs, question their way of life, we need not rubbish all of their writing/teachings - we can have it in us to see the divinity and move on. What I am trying to say and failing awfully is - say we want to buy fruits. We go to a fruit market but can we buy every fruit that is being sold by every vendor. Don't we carefully make a decision and get only what we need in the best of its state, even from a person who does not appeal to us? Discernment right?

I have always believed that faith is a personal thing, very personal, and should be practiced or not at an individual level. But both you and I know the effects of satsang - good company like in any aspect of life. People will do what they want to do but a seeker must continue to seek with discernment. I am not disagreeing with what you have written but trying to focus on the preaching on the likes of Ramana Maharshi and others or even living with a little self-enquiry, we can keep out what we don't need. If anything sir, my heart goes out to the followers - their eagerness. I wish I had some.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Agatha,

Wishing you and yours a very happy new year as well.

Thank you for your excellent response summarizing how Sainthood is practiced as a Profession. There are so many Saints sitting on huge pile of money leading a luxurious life and in the company of young and attractive female followings. I couldn't agree more on the foolishness demonstrated by them. The parents joining the mutt with family and all young children is atrocious. How in the world a parent can leave their minor female or male children under the custody of a Saint especially there is so much published about the Saint? These Saints appear to be having up to date knowledge about when they are likely to get a raid and how and when they are likely to be arrested from the government directly without which how can they plan to escape?

Even corporations find it hard to have multi-national presence but these saints do have presence in many countries. Money appears to be pouring into their operations both in India and overseas. Recently, I had a chance to see a You Tube video in which a young woman from a very affluent family, educated as a graduate from a premier educational Institution in India, working for a world class organization in the west coast of the US, decided to join the Mutt and went on to become the leader of the Mutt. Some of the Saints appear to bring in science over and above the religion to bring in more audience. It is very opt you commented with Vadivelu's language as one of the saints appear to be speaking in this comedian's tone in all his telecast.

I hope someday, the people will wake up and the government will be compelled to keep these criminals away from access to people and money but for that the government has to be cleansed without the criminals.