Missing The Food In India..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Dec 19, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Special mention to the best all seasons drink in the world..feast for the eyes too!here I have the filter and use coorg brand .I also drink in the vessels shown below...:) According to me..no Starbucks/coffee day/ Dunkin can even come close to the aromatic,simple coffee which takes me to a whole new world with just one sip...I can sense the feeling while am writing.the moment I drink it..my engine is geared up for the day!!!Sip by sip,little by little..watching the morning sunrise.. B355E1F0-A4D8-41B5-BCD5-328FB25EC84F.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's the knack you have. : ) See the good, side step any thread getting diversion, and back to food pictures and legendary restaurants lists. : )

=====
    I felt it would be appropriate and right to report back here that after 2-3 days of strong yearning for the food, fruits and vegetables that I remember from my time in India, things are now getting back to track. : ) Got a gift yesterday - collection of 12 oz jars of organic jams/preserves from a mom & pop store. Had it on bread. Then, ran out of bread, and had it on roti.

anika987 likes this.
  3. IL86

IL86 Silver IL'ite

Avrekalu season is best, I miss avrekalu season every year, my mom prepares tasty avrekalu uppittu ( upma), hichkavrekalu saaru. I wish I could have gone during the season this time.

KashmirFlower, anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Recently made hitKidbele Saru.
    Have you tried frozen section at Indian stores? Although the taste is not as great as the ones we get at Blore but atleast to curb the cravings you can try.

IL86 and anika987 like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. We have been having it this month
    We got frozen ones from Costco.
    Comes out crispy in air fryer

anika987 likes this.
  6. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

The title was exactly what i felt when i was in Singapore 2 yrs back. In singapore i never ever liked the quality of fruits n vegetables they were all always frozen while in india i get all fresh n local varieties. They taste heavenly i must say.
    I was so upset after 4 months that i can not get those chats on road. I literally felt to runaway to india for this. For a big foodie like me it was a big torcher. Now back here i still control the cravings even if it is easily available.
    Recent update got a party from best friend in restaurants all items were like to die for so i thank god for keeping me at my home city. Given a choice now i will never leave my city for this. As this is what money cant buy

anika987 likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello::hello:thanks.
    2. tunuku reminds my late mom.
    3. Avial for Touch - I wish I had mentioned that but in my home avial for adai is rare.
    But in hotels like saravana Bhawan (t nagar) vasanth Bhawan ( gn cherry street) they provide that combi and they are good for pessarette too.
    Hotel maya at adayar proximity to anantha padhbha nabha swami temple is excellent for wide variety of south and north indian dishes and their buffet food with twenty and odd items is a steal.
    4. In New Delhi at Parliament Street lane near Canara bank was a rendezvous for spouse and I during office lunch time to have varieties of Garama garam halwa of carrot, sappota alias chikku with nuts generously sprinkled decoratively during winter august to jan in 1976-77. Their jilebi is delectably joy to eat tepid hot. All served in dried up palm leaf.
    A full description of this halwa is available in post
    3s-spouse, Shawl & Sister-in-law

5. You are our chief guest. Here you take with all members of your family bestowed with enormous taste buds:

south indian dinner images - Google Search:

Thanks and regards.

God besides nectar and ambrosia is felt in warm halwas of Thirunelveli & Punjab

anika987 likes this.
  8. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

@anika987 only you can think of such easy flowing topics in the same vein as some very serious thread topics and then start the thread effortlessly like everyone said above .
    i am a foodie but i never craved anything as such ever but once during my pregnancy. i so badly wanted to eat moong dal ki kachori , aloo kachori , raj kachori basket. gangaur sweets and chat shops were my favorite for this one . i could never find that tasty kachori here ever . then sitafal , sugarcane juice , palm fruit , jack fruit ,pootharekulu , mamidi tandra i miss those here a lot (last 4 i used to wait till summers to go visit my grandparents to eat it ) ...i think the most important indian variety i miss is goli soda in those dark green glass bottle with lemon , orange , coca cola flavors . nothing like it , i used to drink so many goli sodas everyday while i stay there .

Mistt and anika987 like this.
  9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Anika, loved the thread and the entries.. thank you for opening this! Who doesn't love talking about food? When compared to others, I'm a bit lucky as I have few South Indian restaurants near by my home. Though the taste never matches the dishes we eat anywhere in Tamilnadu, we can at least quench the cravings every now and then. Next to the taste, I have one big problem with the restaurants here. In Tamilnadu, when we order idly or dosa , they leave the bucket of sambar/chutneys on our table for us to serve ourselves! In a non veg restaurant I went recently, they serve 2 big bowls of chicken and mutton Salma for the table first, that's not billed. I'm used to having dosas soaked in sambar, or parotta soaked in Salna. Here in UK, they serve a 2 feet long paper roast in a plate that has 3 small partitions for 2tbsp sambar and half TSP each green, red and white chutneys! Seriously! So they don't expect you to dip the dosa in sambar, but just show it over the sambar , front and back , catch the aroma and eat it. When asked for "extra sambar", the waiter does brings it, but not after observing the plate, in a world's tiniest kinnam which again won't hold more than 2tbsp of sambar!
    In Tamilnadu,parottas never come without salna, right? You only ask "2 parottas", and they give you with salna. But here you have to order separately, that's not the problem, but the dish it comes with is a problem. Its designed in such a deceiving way. The vessel looks like a bowl, but only when you dig in with the spoon you realise it's just a slightly deeper plate! You bend down your head to analyse the bowl, it is deeper at least 4 inches high on the outside, but the inner part is Max of 1 or 1.5 inches deeper! How sad!
    I shouldn't even start on Meduvada. It's called "medu"vada for a reason!
    My comfort foods when I go to Coimbatore are the Masala puris, Roadside Kalaan, onion samosas, And of course paper roast soaked in Tiffin sambar or parottas soaked in salna - not too soaked to lose its crunchiness, but perfectly soaked so the pleasure of chewing increases when the sweetness of the parotta and the hot salna talks to each other.. Aww, heaven! And the Meduvada, so delicate that you carefully hold it for even a mild pressure from your fingers would crumble it.
    And yes the filter coffee! They do make it with milk, but the smell of the milk doesn't overpower the aroma of the coffee beans. That's one time I don't feel guilty in welcoming extra servings of white sugar! The tiny tumbler the coffee comes with is not a problem here. As Santhanam says, "coffee epdi irukkanum theriyuma? Kudichuttu vechaa maari irukkanum!" - as long as it's strong and aromatic, the quantity doesn't matter.
    All this discussion reminds me of the song "indha porappudhaan Nalla rusichu saappida kidachadhu" from Un samayalarayil movie! The song mostly covers everything we talked here...
    Thanks again for starting this thread Anika... Reminds there is so much goodness in the world, and good food is among the important ones.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Saravana Bhavan...when I was in my 7th grade,I had gone to vadapalani and saw this restaurant advertising about “14 idlis with ghee”..That was their first branch and out of curiosity we went there and the taste those days was just heavenly!!! You can’t just have one plate!! It was that addicting.

Nowadays..the taste level has gone way down..

and there was a hotel called “Adithya” in Pondy bazaar and now it is taken over by balajee bhavan.

Adithya hotel served the best sambhar Vada!!

Thyagarajan likes this.