Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

True that. It's also equally fascinating for me to observe the fans (mostly Lotr) discussing the best and their favorite parts, every bit of that world to the finest details coming up with maps, visualizations, art, music, and whatnot. I'm a ghost reader in the fan forums, just hanging around lazily whenever but anytime I may there is something new to pick up, the intensity and passion of the fans? I'm super impressed! Maybe...maybe I will finally get down to read the series after all, so when it arrives on Prime I'm ready! Lol. Don't you "Ahem" at me now! :sweatsmile:I know It's going to take forever for me but I'm willing to try. :tongueclosed:

Btw, I'm close to finishing the Chernobyl book you recommended. That's something, right? Yayay! Put up your recent reading list and the reviews already, I 'll figure out what's my next from there! :grin: Hehe!

Wowie, I'm hooked too! Right from the first note! Very otherworldly, yep, I feel "Viking vibes" if you get what that means. Love it, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Amazon LOTR series will not be based on the events from the main books/movies. They will focus on the events of the Second Age of Middle Earth —the banishment of Morgoth, the rise of Sauron, the creation of the Ringwraiths and the forging of the one ring. Honestly I am not sure how well this series will be received by people who aren't part of the fandom. If they can simplify the lore and focus on a narrow subset of characters, like Beren and Luthien, it could work. *fingers crossed*

Go you! :cheer: Voices from Chernobyl was one the best books I read this year, and I read a lot!!! I haven't updated my reading list yet but I probably made it past 50. :number_one:

Not surprising that you feel 'Viking Vibes'. Tolkien drew heavily from Norse mythology and Viking culture for creating the peoples and myths of Middle Earth.

If you liked Misty Mountains, check out the Song of Durin,

Kohvachn likes this.
  3. Gauri03

I've always imagined Santa as a diligent postal worker, safely dropping off packages come snow or shine. But he does have those elves who make the toys, pack the gifts, feed the reindeer, load the sleigh and generally slave around for him. Don't think they get paid either. Hmm, perhaps Santa is Jeff Bezos after all. :grin:

Speaking of Jeff Bezos, The Expanse season 4 is on Amazon Prime now! Only seen one episode but it is as epic as ever!

Methi dal on steaming hot rice with a little mango pickle soothes the soul! Have you tried methi kadhi? It is equally awesome! :hearteyes:

By the way, yeh OTP kya hai? I remember the OLA wala in India asking me for it before every trip. Not same I assume. I googled it and discovered it also stands for: One True Pairing, "which signifies a person's favorite fictional romantic relationship." More in line with the K I know. You have a favorite imaginary romantic pairing on IL?! Lol! What?

Kohvachn likes this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting, inspirational women and reading their achievements made me re think about my dreams which lost somewhere in this life journey. Thank you for sharing here.

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Whhh...t! I thought this could be my easy ticket to finally jump into the Lotr fanship! :crybaby2:
    :tearsofjoy: And, Santa is just one brand, one of his kind as well in the market so technically that's monopoly business, very much like Amazon! But nahhh, Santa ain't one greedy capitalist. I had like to assume he pays the elves something reasonable with agreeable working hours and suitable compensation during Xmas days from whatever royalties he may get while the products made in his warehouses by the now paid elves are distributed free as gifts in the spirit of Christmas! Hmmm, Santa leans to the left then! :wink:
    Go away! They haven't added anything after S1 here. I'm tried of streaming (most) stuffs from the internet only. :relieved:

I couldn't fully grasp the science and the logic of the last three episodes of S3. I felt it was hurried much and too much to take in over a few episodes for a slow brain like me. :smirk:

Enjoy the new season, I will try to catch up. Meanwhile, I'm torturing myself with an odd foreign cult based dubbed series just for the heck of it. :flushed::sweatsmile:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Kadhi(s) are more of my husband's thingy, to make as well. Will let him know. :tongueout:
    Go you too, babe! :beer-toast1:
    Wh...! Even your little rascalas be eye-rolling at you for this! Lol. But seriously, what planet you are from! :buenrollo: Tumblr survives mostly on P@rn (well, they have banned it now), next best thing? OTP shippings! :facepalm:
    It's a "Who" btw! Also imaginary isn't the word. Fans ship RL (often celebrity) couples too. This frenemy thing here on IL is going on for a while that it's not even subtle anymore and in plain sight too. The(ir) love-hate-ship is getting stronger day by day, interesting to watch the developments any day. Why part is still a mystery to me. And, wouldn't say of romantic nature but I'm curious to see if they will ever end up as a female version of bromance or something or frenemies forevers! In fandom culture terms, my "headcanon"! So...will they or won't they?

suprotp.png

:lol:

You are welcome to join the ship(ping) with some rum and hot chocolate! :wink1:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

...in other words "Surveillance Capitalism"! :triumph::mask:

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 - Whats in your reading list for 2020? I'm thinking of re-reading the LOTR series. I might do the Hemingway list. I have books 5 onward left in the expanse series. I'm also going to adding in some good historical fiction to the mix. I only hit 20 books this year. Hoping to do more. W&P took up three whole months so I'm planning on doing heavy reads towards the end of the year.

9. Gauri03

Here's wishing 2020 is the year you chase and capture those dreams! :beer-toast1:

Mistt likes this.
  10. Gauri03

You are awesome for getting through W&P in three months. Took me six and I barely read anything else the rest of that year. I might reread LOTR too. It's been a long while. I did half the Hemingway list this year. Will try to read the rest of it next year. Shouldn't take much time as I have already read the two tomes in that list: Brother's Karamazov and Anna Karenina. I am waiting to look at The Economist's books of the year for 2019. Their recommendations set up a big chunk of my reading for the following year. Our President's unashamed violation of the constitution has inspired me to turn my eyes backwards in time. Planning to read the letters of the founding fathers and other writings of John Adams, Thomas Paine and Hamilton's Federalist Papers. The rest I will pick up from the major book awards as they get announced over the year.

Laks09 likes this.