1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 Years Old Almost On Milk Only

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Jas82688, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

hello ladies

Please advice me how can I help my 3 years old with eating habits .. she is not interested in eating any solid food .. no rice chapathi idli dosa upma pongal noodles pasta .. I tried diff verities too but she is not having 3 spoons also .. she cries out of hungry literally screams a lot and finally just drinks milk goes to sleep .. she is still on bottles..

So am worried if she is getting enough vitamins or not .. she may eat quarter banana or 2 strawberry in between .. or small cup of cereal .. but still drinks milk 3 times in a day at night twice .. 8 oz dory time ..

I have her pediatric appointment coming but wanted to know how can I help her with this issue from experienced moms ..

My elder one too picky eater ..they don’t like anything other than pizza or junk food .. it’s driving me crazy .. to make them eat two spoons of food I have to do a war ..

Am full time working mom so getting too tired to make all these efforts and it’s affecting my health too..

Any tips or tricks or natural substitutes to increase the appetite ..?

Thanks a bunch all your advices are very important for me ..

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

i hided bottles and told then my 2 1/2 year old son, that new baby (some friends baby) needs bottles, he is small, he is hungry, so he took your bottles.
    later he used sippy cup for long time and then now drinks boost in a cup,
    start with bland like boiled egg whites, if you guys eat.
    totally no chillies green and red, single pot rice varieties, peas rice/pongal etc
    give them raw vegetables like carrorts, fruits like oranges, apples, watermelon. for few days their taste buds get used to eat natural food.
    no junk food at all at home, so they have to eat what you make for them.

lot of patience and giving quality tme with hugs, they listento you more.
    if they don't eat leave them don't give something else, so that next time they have to eat with what is left.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

It sounds like he’s having too much milk and hence not hungry. He is soo used to drinking milk that he isn’t used to eating regular food. Be careful. Being on bottles after 1 year old will affect speech and teeth also too. Decrease the milk. Like previous person said after one milk should come after solids. It can not replace food. So hide the milk. After a week she will eat something. Once she has eaten give her one cup of milk only. Slowly get her onto food first then milk. Then slowly increase the milk.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

My brother had similar problem. One day being sick of it, my mom jus threw it out of a moving car right in front of him saying it fell n that there’s no more milk bottle. N if he wants to drink anything anymore, use the cup. He cried n whined, but she held on n when his hunger hit him, he went for the cup. Because it wasn’t that convenient to drink like in the feeding bottle, his eating habit improved too.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Honestly, stop the night time bottles first. A three year old doesn’t need night feeds and must sleep through the night. It’s a comfort factor. I would offer only a little cup of water after dinner, if I were you.
    Once you stop the night time bottles day time appetite will increase. Move her to a cup and only twice instead of thrice. That should help with the eating.
    Toddlers are generally picky eaters but there may be a favorite food. Is she getting a lot of snacks? If so, reduce that and make it only two snacks, one mid morning and one in the evening. It’s best to remove junk snacks from the house and offer fruits and other healthy snacks. It’s ok even if she doesn’t eat snacks, she will be hungry enough for lunch/dinner.

For making meal times fun, I let my tot roll out their own rotis, make shapes from cookie cutters and fried puris for them etc. They usually love to eat what they cook. I’ve made dosas with veggie eyes and mouth etc to make it more fun to eat.
    Don’t worry too much, once the milk intake reduces she will eat. I would bring it up with the pediatrician for more tips.

Good luck!

SinghManisha likes this.
  6. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Am trying this method .. but she is crying uncontrollably for milk bottle .. I tried giving in glass it’s working during day time but night she is screaming out of lungs for that bottles .. since it’s dusturbing everyone’s sleep I finally give her bottle .. am full time working from 9 to 6 .. I will not be at home my mother in law is taking care of her .. she told me kid is not interested in eating food at all so she giving bottle to her every time when ever she is hungry ..

7. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

She is drinking in cup day time but night twice she will ask for bottle .. she is not eating solid food since by the time I reach home from work 6.30 my mil feeds her milk so she is not interested in eating any food I make .. I told mother inlaw not to give milk but she is failing to do so since she says kid is screaming .. I don’t know how can I solve this issue ..

8. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Yes my last time pediatric told me same thing to offer water but not milk since she is worried about cavity .. but how can I manage kid if she cries loud until we give her bottle she won’t stop crying .. I gave her water she is not ready to drink water and keeps asking for milk if we dint give it’s a huge drama everyone at home will say why are you making kid cry why dint you give her milk ..no one understands my point ..

9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

It is tough being a working mom and having to deal with all the drama about letting your child cry. 3 year olds are generally temperamental and emotional. But the good thing is, they forget about things quickly- if you are firm about the change. When I say quickly I mean, it could take 2-3 weeks for your kid to move on, but it’s possible.

Throw out all the bottles, so that your MiL cannot give a bottle. And encourage her to take your kid out, so that she can run out all her energy. They need a lot of physical activity and distractions, so that this change wouldn’t feel so drastic. The extended time periods between milk intakes, would help overall.

Good luck!

10. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I also encourage you to put your kid in part time school/daycare. They learn a lot from their peers and it would give a daily regime that you cannot maintain in your house right now.