1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement Homes In & Around Chennai

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by confused4sure, Jun 29, 2019.

1. confused4sure

confused4sure Silver IL'ite

All -

wanted to check if anyone have heard of good retirement homes in and around Chennai?

Some background: my parents are very much like Tom and Jerry, and within 3 months of living together, end up with a huge episode of fight/drama/runaway attempt from home/name calling sessions on phone to me etc...

they usually expect me to resolve the problem, by talking "sense" to the other person and making the "other person" understand their "lifelong mistakes". This has been going for decades now, and the last episode was so bad that mom moved out to her sisters place with plans to leave to USA immediately. Well, the only problem was, my MIL was in USA and had 4 more months to go in her planned visit. It was a very hectic 4 months, with mom always asking when she can come, she has been reduced to living "homeless" "can't you talk sense to your dad"; Aunt subtly hinting about prolonged stay causing privacy issues, and DH saying, no way his mom would leave early! Fast forward 1 year, mom is leaving to india in July after 1 year with me. (I will need to go and drop her in Chennai, talk sense into my dad).

The present intent of finding retirement homes: Dad's health is not doing great (lifelong smoker; 35% lunch capacity left). Mom will be returning to India and I am worried that the same old fights will start. so DH has been suggesting that I just rent out the house and put them both in the same retirement home, if needed, in 2 separate 1 bed units. This will hopefully keep them close-by for any emergency situations. This will also give them some independence in case of medical emergency, since I am the only kid, living thousands of miles away. We have tons of family on mother's side living close by, but after every help, I need to hear few hours of, we are only ones who come to help. "why doesn't your dad understand this? why does he act like no one helped him" My dad on his side would also act the most ungrateful and spiteful after taking help from ppl and use bad words to their face.

Any thoughts... or feedback? did any of you have to forcibly move parents to retirement apartments for better security, medical facilities and social atmosphere?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019

2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

There are many retirement homes in coimbatore and Chennai
    Kumaran illam in Chennai. But it's has its own pros n cons.

3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I was going to suggest Coimbatore too. This is a good idea to keep them separated and busy in a good retirement community.
    The fact that your mom is comfortable staying away from unwell dad for a year , says a lot. Let them both have peace of mind .

4. confused4sure

confused4sure Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been in touch with Ashiana Shubam in Maraimalai Nagar. It seems like a good option. SinghManisha: Agree with you. the fact that they both never once bothered to call and check on each other tells a lot.

5. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I am also looking for a retirement home for my parents.Any feedback confused4sure.
    Thanks