1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Entertain Kids In The Weekend?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Dec 8, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @SGBV for your clarification.
    As an "only child " let me provide some insight into our lives.

From the above quote I understand that you are viewing the "only child" from the perspective of one who has a sibling.
    I am sure when a sibling is not home there will be a feeling of emptiness because one is used to having the sibling around.

However, we, the "only child" folks, never know what it is like to have a sibling at home. We are used to having just mother and father, (maybe other relatives) and for us that is our family.
    Everyday, when we come from school it is the same environment. So, it is nothing different during school holidays or weekends.

We do not miss that sibling whom we never had in the first place. What we do not know, we do not miss. There is no question of emptiness.

Also , just as siblings can be creative and roll up a paper ball to play among themselves, we too can roll up a paper ball and toss it into the air and catch it, and spend hours trying different heights, different sizes etc.

Let me reiterate what i said earlier - being alone does not mean we are lonely.

Trust this helps clear up another part of the life of an only child.

I will stop here. Perhaps i need to write an article from the perspective of, about the "only child" .

2. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala mam , when you write the article kindly do tag me as I don't want to miss a single word from it. I didn't know you were an only child, and I so badly wanted to hear the positives of being only child. Anika, sorry for deviating from the original topic, I will stop here and just wait for kkrish's new article.

Greenbay, kkrish, mangaii and 2 others like this.
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Lovely ideas Rihanna, I have already ordered the self adhesive sheets to turn the wall into white board area I can envision the fun times we would have.

Noted down all brilliant ideas from other moms... Thank you all.. :worship2:the much dreaded term holidays doesn't look so bad now... Haha

kkrish, mangaii, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

100 likes :grinning:

5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

i cant wait to read that article :) i see my baby who almost always plays by herself , talks to herself when at home alone :blush:

6. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

My kids pair is an extrovert introvert pair... so they figure it out who wins... my introvert teaches the other one to have me time and the extrovert teaches the other to be a social...

I usually take them to park on weekends even on cold days as they should not stay home just because its cold or damp ( its a damp country here!)..
    My husband loves gardening and he always asks kids to join and they love the dirt so yeah...

Weekdays are a bit ... you know they spend time at clubs but I work from home 2 days a week so it is not bad... we do painting , moulding and stuff like that..kinda random...
    If its a big streach (3+ weeks)we book and go elsewhere and use up all the leaves ( that is the point right).

I do make playdates but don't depend on them...

@ Single children... I have not seen iota of difference in any of them really... I have seen a bunch they are all fun and nice. A single social kid will find himself literally 100s of friends to make them happy and a quiet single child will find 100s of books to make them happy...
    They have the ability to find a way to make them happy...

Siblings are two INDIVIDUALS under the same roof... just like a single child...she/ he is an INDIVIDUAL. Each one finds options which are equally impressive!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    SinghManisha, Rihana, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  7. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

@ILoveTulips

Such cool mum!... she will heart fully thank you with a big smile for all the precious time you have given. The moments you shared and the memories you made.

Dont worry she aint alone... she got you!.. and more than that.. you got her (back)!.. lovely :)

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I think in a way being only child helped me to survive in US away from my family :tongueclosed:
    No doubt I miss them but atleast I somehow got used to it after few months.

Roar, SinghManisha, mangaii and 6 others like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys...

Am going to digress my own thread:)
    Summer camps..yes it’s only December but I was told good camps get booked earlier..

What is the cost of summer camps?
    Full time?
    How early to book?
    My kid is 7 years old.
    How do you entertain kids without summer camps?

10. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Beg to differ sir.

Not trying to attack SGBV , only using it as an example.

I read the comment and it was hurtful to read.

Might not be hurtful to everyone, but to any parent who has one kid, your heart skips a beat when you read a comment like that. ( mine did and Mangai rightfully called it out, although, I normally ignore and move on )

It would be better for people to be mindful of what you are trying to achieve with your message. I didn't see anything useful in the comment ( which honestly should have been a mind voice and not made it into the forum ). If you feel your kids are fortunate to have a sibling ( feel thankful and move on, instead of patronizing those who don't ).

I am no moral police and am neither trying to change anyone or show I am superior than anyone else. I wanted to show my support for @mangaii and to appreciate her courage on calling out what she felt was wrong and she was not the only one who thought that way.