1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

I Am Getting Ocd About Periods And Cleanliness. What To Do ??

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by EagerForInfo, Dec 9, 2019.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

My periods are so heavy nowadays. Even if I wash my hands they smell. So I wash my hands 3 times after using restroom and before cooking. My baths during periods are now taking 45 minutes cause I feel the soap is dirty then I wash the soap obviously washing hands again before touching the tap etc etc. I feel what’s if the washing machine fails and I put periods clothes in washing machine then all clothes will become dirty so I started washing every piece of clothes that I wore during periods by hand. I live in the US. My parents are not too superstitious. Never told me any restrictions except not to go into temple or pooja room during periods.

We used to go to school by 6:45 am and jobs by 7:30. Now with all these habits I’ve developed as my periods are getting heavier I’m just confused about how I’ll manage if I start working. I have been in a really long maternity leave.

This all started when my hands were still smelly before I started cooking food one day while I was on my period. I can handle washing them again and again but it’s just taking much time!

How do u guys manage washing ur clothes worn during periods and baths. I feel once I use the restroom I need to wash my hands after touching the underwear as it too is dirty. Then again I wash them after wearing my clothes. Ughhhh . So when we go to public restroom I use tissues to touch the door etc etc since i have not washed my hands and it just takes sooo much more time. I don’t know what i did before all these years !!!

Any advice please.

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

It is going on the OCD side, nip it in the bud.

Check why you are having heavy periods, iron supplements, and some herbal supplement (called something like lighter periods) might slow the periods.

Try to use sanitary napkins in such away that you do not have to touch the soiled part. Wear tight underwear and overlap napkins.

Wash your clothes separately from others in household with a little baking soda and vinegar. You can use bleach in whites.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This will not help with the actual problem itself, but might provide some respite from the repeated hand washing and smelling them again and again - use sterile gloves whenever you can. Also called examination gloves. I use them routinely when cooking. In between, if I need to "wash" my gloved hands, like before opening the fridge or tapping on the cell phone, I simply wash my gloved hands in the sink : ) or wipe them on paper towel. The gloves are quite strong and last me a 2-3 hour cooking session or 1-2 hour house cleaning.

I buy them from Costco. Check the size so you are not left with a huge box of too small or too big gloves.
    https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-nitrile-exam-gloves,-400-count,-size-small.product.100127801.html

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Go see your ob-gyn to find out what is causing your heavy periods and if there is anything that can give you relief. There should not be any odor even on heavy days. First make sure there are no medical issues.

BhumiBabe and Angela123 like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Did you get your physical done ? If not please approach the doctor with above questions

6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

you have got good advice above for hygiene and supplements . i would agree with mangai's response above ... do go to the dr. and get a US scan done to rule out any issues . i had the exact same issue few years back when i didnt think of it as any issue and much later got a scan that showed a big fibroid which grew that big because i didnt notice heavy flow as an issue . after i got it removed , it improved a lot . and do take iron pills . not to scare you but a gynaec checkup would help i think to find out about heavy flow.

7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Yes. Please go see the doc. Because, if you have heavier or longer periods it is best to go see doc and hear what the doc advises. Like caughtinbetween mentioned above, i have a close friend who thought longer or heavier periods were ok and now she is diagnosed with the same issue - a fibroid, that too a good sized one. So if you notice anything out of the ordinary, it is best to go to the doc now than later.

8. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

How are you guys washing the shower place after taking a bath. I just realized in India we have buckets and mugs to clean the floor after taking a shower but how are u washing the bathrub in the us with no mug and buckets. Sheesh. I’m driving myself crazy. We have a door in the shower area. After my shower that also feels dirty. How to handle all these things but we just have a shower. No mugs or buckets.

9. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Of course now I’ll go and buy some buckets and mugs

10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

@EagerForInfo, you should seriously consider visiting the obgyn and getting checked for any kinds of infections. Having heavy periods is not serious (although you might want to consider a hormone test for thyroid), some women have heavy periods, but smelly period is something to look at. One of my relatives visited us and whenever she would use the bathroom, she left a very strong odor behind in the bathroom and she was on her periods. Seeing our reaction, she went to the doctor and came to know she had a very bad infection. The outcome was not so pleasant for her. Had she checked it earlier she would have got cured of the infection. Though it may look like hypochondria, there is no harm in getting checked once. Not to alarm you, but just letting you know.