Mild quake hits UAE!!!

Discussion in 'Indians in UAE' started by sujakalyan, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

Dear Ilites,

This afternoon around 3.08pm mild tremor hit several parts of UAE mostly in NOTHERN EMIRATES. I didnt feel it but my neibor said it was a terrible experince and felt the shake. More info from GULF NEWS below

<TABLE id=article_edit cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TD class=Heading>UAE hit by tremors after Iran earthquake

By Aftab Kazmi, Bureau Chief, Al Ain
    Last updated: September 10, 2008, 15:33
    <TD class=ArticleBody>
    <!--maxlength:1596-->Dubai: Severe tremors were felt in Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman and other parts of the emirates at around 3.08pm local time forcing people to flee from homes and office.
    First tremor reports were received from people located in parts of Deira and Bur Dubai, Captain Sultan Al Merri, Dubai Police Operations Room, Duty Officer told Gulf News.

The tremors first struck off the coast of Sharjah, measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale.
    The jolts were so severe that they were felt by the people living in the first and second floors of the building. Police and Civil Defence department has not reported any material damage or causalities.
    The quake sent a wave of panic among the residents and most them rushed out in the open and safe places. <HR>
    <!-- BEGIN ADVERTPRO CODE BLOCK --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--document.write('<SCR'+'IPT src="http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/view/banner/javascript/zone?zid=22&pid=0&random='+Math.floor(89999999*Math.random()+10000000)+'&millis='+new Date().getTime()+'" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></SCR'+'IPT>');//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/view/banner/javascript/zone?zid=22&pid=0&random=78383431&millis=1221057140078" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!-- NOT VISIBLE CONTENT --><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- END ADVERTPRO CODE BLOCK -->​
    <HR>

The National Centre of Meteorology and Seismology (NCMS) is currently collecting details of the earthquake.

People living and working in Al Quasis, Bur Dubai and Dubai Media City said that the tremors lasted for a few seconds. Residents in Sharjah reported their buildings swaying.

“My office is in Al Quasis. I was so scared. All the 28 people working in our office ran out of the building," said one worker.

The jolts were caused by a powerful earthquake measures 6.2 that occurred in the south-west of the Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas. The epicentre of the quake was 43km west of the Qishm Island in the Arabian Gulf.
    According to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre, the depth of the quake was some 50km in the earth.

also pls share your experinces and information

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear all,
    Yes..even I felt the tremor while I was in the office. My colleague was sitting tight in the office, but I saw her shaking from side to side. Even at home, the children could see the computer, chairs etc shaking.
    Later I saw on an Indian TV channel that the earthquake measured 6.1 on the Richter scale.
    Though not very serious, it ws a memorable moment.

Regards
    USHA

3. leenasher

leenasher New IL'ite

Hiiiii Usha!!!

Long time..:wave

Oh my I remember I was in the office and at 3pm..I felt drowsy, and I thought maybe cause am fasting but then, oops..people starting getting up from their chairs. Our papers started moving and the boss said, lets leave!

Me, with a high heel shoe, and so terrified, we have to run down 18 floors from this glass staircase, was a horrible experience..and people were rushing to get down, even pregnant women were hurried out. My legs were swollen for 3days!Drowning

Then we were told its the affect of the Big Bang the scientific experiment going on, but the next day we heeard it was a real one..yes 6.1 on the rector scale!

Anyway, alls well that ends well and happily typing this away!!:clap