Sad

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by abcd5, Dec 1, 2019.

1. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

I feel sad and depressed during winter months, specially November and December. Every year during winter time I feel the same and nothing helps me at all. My hands and legs are dry and bleed during winter and I get headache often. What can I do to improve my mood and energy? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

humidifier ? Have you one in the house ? Pets also help.
    [​IMG]

abcd5 likes this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Where do you live?
    You may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Please educate yourself and review this as one possibility among others, especially if the symptoms are reproducibly seasonal.

SAD
    Light Therapy
    Choosing a Lamp

abcd5 likes this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Many does as this weather is such a mood dampener. ‘Winter blues’ is a common term during that season too.
    Few things to try,
    Keep yourself busy with a tight schedule, this includes work/ house / social / friends / family
    Plan a vacation during this period to a nice sunny place preferably
    Sun exposure, Walk or stand out when the sun is out, everyday
    Healthy eating n sleeping on time
    Exercise n meditation routine, everyday, even dancing to good music
    These pointers have helped me during winters too.
    As above poster said, check out SAD too.

Apply a very intensive hydrating moisturiser (preferably with doc recommendation) or Oil the skin 2 to 3 times in a day, it can be any oil that suits your skin like coconut, almond, olive, etc. This has helped me during winter skin bleed.
    Headache - dehumidifier has helped me, try steaming, smelling of medicinal oils or inhalers. even getting out or keeping busy helps if I know when or what triggers it.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Get your bloodwork done and see if you have any vitamin/thyroid deficiencies. SAD is real so look into that as well. Stay well-hydrated. For your dry skin you need to moisturize well. When your skin is still damp from the shower put on some body oil and then follow it up with a rich lotion like Lubriderm or Cerave. Do this every single day and your skin will improve. Keep some hand cream at your desk and apply frequently throughout the day.
    Exercise may also help you feel better, even just a brisk walk. I hate these cold dreary days too and always feel brighter after the winter solstice as I know the days will slowly get longer.

6. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

This happens all the time. Till last winter I was in apartment where all three side will closed and dark. This gives me bad mood all the time. I get angry, scold my kids or husband all the time, hate to cook or do anything. This year we moved to own home and thank god all side we have windows,so I always keep the windows blind open.
    I would suggest, keep the blinds open(if it is secured) , invite or go to friends house on weekends ,play cards or any game you like. Go shopping, which will make ladies happy. I do indoor gardening in winter to change my mind. Join in gym or Zumba class in winter, so u will get to see some people daily. I like cooking so choose new dishes and try to cook to make me happy n family too. If you have xbox or any games, you can play some games as family. Keep the house always bright and neat. This gives you good mood.

anika987 and abcd5 like this.
  7. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

Thanks, I will try humidifier. I have a small Pug mix and he is always being there for me through my ups and down but now he is 11 years old and he has arthritis so most of the time he sleeps.

8. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

Yes, I think I am suffering from seasonal affective Disorder. I live in Michigan and moved here few years back from south. I didn’t have any of these issues when I was in south. I hope one day I can move back and settle down in FL or NC. I never heard of light therapy. I will look into it. Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions

anika987 likes this.
  9. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Understand winter depression is common due to lack of vitamin D.

Use light therapy.

Second,have warm NOT hot baths and apply moisturizers.

Do not forget to drink water.

Dont resort to junk foods.Eat warm,homemade fresh food which hugely helps.

Start one hour workout everyday.It creates wonders.

Do yoga and pranayama

Wear thermal socks,warm clothes even at home.

Good sleep is a must.

Watch good movies and do things which you like.

Try all the above and you will surely feel better.

Mehana and abcd5 like this.