1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diarrhea In 3 Week Old Breastfed Baby- What To Eat

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Positivity02, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Positivity02

Positivity02 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I am a first time mom of a 3 week old. I am exclusively breastfeeding him and he has been going through diarrhea since morning. His temperature is also borderline high.
    We took him to urgent care and doc advised to feed him frequently and in terms of my diet, asked just to refrain from milk.
    I have been following normal indian diet after delivery and I am really worried about eating anything as it can make my baby sick.
    Can you please advise what foods I can eat that would help my baby recover and not make his diarrhea or fever worse?

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Hai Positivity,
    some times babies develop lactose intolerance during diarrhea, thats generally temporary only, that could be the reason doctor might have advised you to refrain from milk. Along with that refrain from dairy products too. You can supplement your intake to some extent with home made almond milk. Once the diarrhea settles down, slowly increase your milk and diary products intake to the earlier quantities.

However to supplement lactogenic foods for you to maintain milk supply drink barley water (barley 0.5 cup + 1 spoon fenugreek + 1 spoon saunf with 4 glasses of water boil well, filter and drink warm, It helps greatly for lactation), try to take few pieces of garlic (too much of garlic can cause colic in some babies), jeera+fenugreek+curry leaves powder with warm water also helps in maintaining your supply. During diarrhea you need to feed the baby frequently, hence it is important to maintain the milk supply very well.

Further, regarding the diarrhea- though as a mom its common that you get worried a lot that too with few weeks old baby- but passing loose stools in small amounts few number of times is not something to worry too much, keep the baby hydrated. You need to panic only if the baby is passing loose stools in large quantities for more than 7/8 times in a day.

pediatrician might have already advised you medication also - there is Enterogermina oral suspension medicine which can be given twice a day (its a probiotic) along with Z&D drops (its generally given for 14 days with the prescribed dosage based on baby's age). It will settle down soon, don't worry.

3. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

If your baby is passing loose stool then it's normal.ebf babies always pass loose stools. You should worry only if the stool is fully watery and passes more than 8-10 times per day. Did your baby pass watery stool or loose stool??

Don't worry just feed your baby more.. so that baby won't get dehydrated

4. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

If you feel baby temperature is above normal, pls ask your doctor for paracetamol drops. They will prescribe you.

Reg your diet, you can have everything. Since your doc suggested to refrain from milk better avoid it.. try to avoid cold items too. Try to maintain your supply, first six weeks is very important for your body to know how much milk needed for your baby..so mostly feed your baby on demand.

5. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

You can have probiotics like home made curd, buttermilk, kefir etc. The Dr would.have prescribed probiotic medicine for your child too. Actually since the baby is breast fed you need not worry about the loose stools of its not more than 7times as others mentioned.

6. Positivity02

@Pallavi4me thank you for all the tips. I have been feeding frequently and he is feeling better today..I'm going to make barely water as you said, thanks!

7. Positivity02

Hi, he was passing watery stools continuously more than 15 times yesterday which got me worried. I stopped eating oil spicy masala stuff since then and he seems to be doing better. His stools frequency has gone down now and not watery as yesterday.

8. Positivity02

9. Positivity02

Hi, thanks for responding. My MIL has advised not to take curd saying baby will get cold. I have not eaten curd/buttermilk since delivery.
    He was passing stools more than 15 times yesterday and it was frequent but in small quantities. That's why I got worried and took him to urgent care.

stayblessed likes this.
  10. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Hope your baby is fine now. Actually home made curd and buttermilk are very good both for yours and your kids health. In fact it will boost immunity so you wont be affected by cold. Also helps in calcium intake.