1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Specific

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Nov 22, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

One evening, when I was just tired of being planned and organized.

I: “What shall I cook for dinner? Chapathi or rice?’
    Hubby: “Anything ma”

After much thinking and a talking to myself (I am always talking to myself these days … do y’all think something is wrong with me?.. that’s a snippet for another day) ‘I have some side dish left from yesterday’s lunch, I’ll make some hot rasam for this cold weather, and a quick potato roast, all can be done by the time the rice cooks’. I make a decision and,

I: “OK, I’ll make rice, rasam, potato roast, and “yesterday’s vegetable””.
    Hubby: “Mmmm... I don’t feel like having rice again”
    I: “Grrrrrr ...” I mutter under my breadth, “why couldn’t he be specific the first time I asked?”

Of course “yesterday’s vegetable” got a different avatar and I called it “sabzi”. My way of taking a revenge.:D
    -----------------------

Another day (two days after Deepavali to be specific) another scene (this time with my mom, to be specific)...

Evening coffee time.

I: “Amma, enna sweet venum (what sweet do you want?) Ladduva, Jangiriya, illa Paalkovava? (Laddu, Jangiri, or Paalkova)"
    Mom: “Edhaavadhu kodu (Give anything)”
    I: “Sari Jangiri tharen (Okay, I’ll give you Jangiri”)
    Mom: Illa, venaam, paalkova kodu (No, I don’t want that, give me palkova)”
    I: “Grrrr…”… I mutter under my breadth “why couldn’t she be specific the first time!”

(Add this “constant muttering” to the “constant talking to myself” syndrome)

… And so goes on, where I am going about my daily life, with the conviction that everyone in this world is very vague.

“Why can’t they be specific? “ I would think. This line would remind me of the song from 'My Fair Lady,' “Why can’t a woman be like a man?”

Quickly forgetting the non-specific nature of humanity I would smile recalling Eliza Doolittle’s antics and then my mind would wander to Audrey Hepburn who played that role.

Then I would be reminded of her movie, 'The Roman Holiday' and then my mind will switch to the handsome Gregory Peck…. and …. “thud” be brought back to this world by the regular phone ringing, or smart phone pinging, or my smart watch buzzing to remind me to get up and walk!

Geez, I am surrounded by “smart” everything nowadays that I feel I am dull. Not good for my morale.

What? I am rambling? Oh yes, I am. I better get back to the specifics.

Well, since the past month I have been made to realize that I myself, the pompous me, had made that “huge mistake” of not being specific. To explain this I have to take you all back some years, no, many years, to be specific.

When I was just a little girl … oh, now I am reminded of that lovely Doris Day song, “When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother…”

Oh well, when I was a little girl I wanted to be a doctor. As I turned into a teenager, I was also turning into a “pretending to be very sophisticated" snob, that I would tell that I wanted to “pursue a career in the medical world” as if just saying “I want to become a doctor” was something to be looked down upon.

God had other plans and the medical world I saw was only as a patient.

Years have rolled by, but God never forgets. He finally granted me my wish and the past few weeks I am experiencing the “medical field” as nurse assistant, massage therapist assistant, dietitian, and general aide.

The initial days were hard and while wallowing in the “why me?” self-pity, it hit me suddenly that this is what I get for not being specific!!

Hah! What revelation that was! I suddenly felt free and was very happy to take on all those roles, because this is what He had planned for me all these years!

Will I ever grumble at others when they are not specific? Nah! Nevah!:shakehead:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: This snippet is written purely as a way to relieve me from the tremendous physical and mental stress I have been, and going through, to help me reset the “stress” button. Not intended to hurt anybody’s sentiments.

My spouse is getting better, albeit slowly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a serious note: My past weeks stay in the hospital have convinced me beyond doubt how important every job is, and I have an even greater admiration for all the nurses, therapists, dietitians, technicians, and everyone in the medical world, along with the physicians!

sindmani, SunPa, periamma and 11 others like this.

2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

@kkrish As usual, a snippet with tons of wisdom and humor interlaced. Please take care of yourself and keep writing( and share them when time permits). Best of wishes for Anna to get better and wish you the best to keep self deprecating humor and sanity together. Yes, continue to engage in physical activity to get a break from routine.

kkrish likes this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi @kkrish ma'am
    Happy to see your snippet after long time and came to know that Sir is getting better.
    True, every job is important and we have to respect all the job holders especially who are in medical career.
    Take care of yourself and hope your physical/emotional stress will reduce soon.

kkrish likes this.
  4. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Good to see you back. Hope all gets well soon. Take care of yourself too. Loved the simple examples you gave for being specific. Being specific is really important only if one really knew. Recently when I had to order home delivery for mere groceries due to unavoidable circumstances I realized the value of instacart shopper. Yes no job is anything too less

kkrish likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Greenbay
    Will certainly try to write. My "humor" muse like to go into dormancy very often. That's the problem. Thanks for your wishes also.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Mistt
    Yes, not just medical career. Every job in every field is important.

Mistt likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

thank you @SpringB
    This was just a light-hearted snippet smiling at life's idiosyncrasies. We just have to look and they are everywhere we can easily move on in life accepting some hard times with much more resignation and ease.

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish! It's good to see you again — although I wish it was with better news.

Sorry to hear your DH is dealing with health issues. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I wish a speedy recovery for him and loads of strength for you. Take care.

kkrish likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Good to see you back, @kkrish. Lovely snippet. I am glad that your husband is getting better.

kkrish likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamala,

So nice to see you here and that too with a snippet! Not that I have been active but something drew me and it had to be you :) Glad to hear things are getting better. You are a woman with a lot of patience and I have always admired you.

To be specific, enjoyed reading you after a long time!

kkrish likes this.