1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What Helps Inflammation And Swelling In Knee? Anyone Tried Dry Needling?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, Nov 20, 2019.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have been dealing with knee pain for past few months. I have been diagnosed with Patellofemoral pain syndrome and quadriceps tendonisis. My patella is misaligned a little and some inflammation with swelling above my knee cap.
    My Ortho prescribed PT. I have been going to PT for past 2 weeks. My PT treatment plan was for 4 weeks. I have been going to PT twice a week. I have swelling above my knee with burning pain.
    I don't see any improvement in the swelling and the burning pain. It's still the same. The swelling is same for past one and half months. The PT said that I can try dry needling on the swelling area. It might help the swelling and inflammation to reduce. She said it's my wish to try it or not. I have been dealing with this pain for past few months and I don't want to make it worse.
    Do anyone tried dry needling before? How was your experience? Did it help?
    Thank you.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I have not personally had the experience -- my own knee-swell had a different cause, and I went through a saline flush and vacuum (arthroscopic) procedure to remove debris from the joint .
    I had to look up the anatomical terms in your post, because of my interest in what else could happen in the knee.

A friend (vietnamese woman, mid 50's, living in USA) went to an acupuncturist for knee/leg pains. And she found it very useful. I had lost touch with her in recent times.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
    I am in USA too. I cannot go to acupuncturist now. I don't know any acupuncturist nearby. My Ortho told me to get PT (physiotherapy) since my muscles are very weak and I need strengthening exercises.
    Meanwhile, I have to reduce my swelling and burning pain too. It's giving me a burning pain whenever I rest or lie down. I am just keeping up with icing now.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Pain when you lie down/rest ? That is horrible. :coldsweat:
    X-ray, CTscan, MRI -- any of these radiological procedures done ? And explained to you ?
    If you have a community swimming pool nearby, you can go there during the adult hours (mixed, or children hours are noisy) stay in waist deep water, and walk around. This is low impact exercise for the leg, back and buttocks muscles.

When we have pain... we reach for OTC pain killers, like ibuprofen. I am sure you are taking one of these or something stronger under a prescription ( no need to list them if you happen to see this /respond).

Get well soon.

gknew likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    Yeah. I did x-ray and MRI. I am taking ibuprofen and got prescription for anti inflammatory gel.