1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Sublime Franck Pourcel

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Franck Pourcel (1913-2000) was a French composer, arranger and conductor of popular music and classical music. More than the sublimity of his music, what stole my heart more was that he got married to Odette Michel in 1939 and remained extremely devoted to her till his death in 2000. He was a very discreet man, who never played up his personal or professional life. He was proud of his trophies, but didn't talk about them. He smashed all sales records for the Europeans orchestras without fanfare or boosting. Of his violin, he once said 'For me the violin is the instrument closest to the human voice.I don't play it I make it sing'
    A show-biz star, against all odds, concerts all over the world, around 200 LPs recorded, more than 3000 titles in his repertoire, this was Franck Pourcel.

Nice music I had not Heard in a long time so much I had forgotten it. This is the sort of music I like and want to hear and so I shall hear it frequently now I have found it again after so many years. And the video is good too so it is both a joy to hear and enjoy watching. - A fan of his

"What A Gorgeous Idea!" … Music And Plant Life Together … Brilliant Video … And Powerful Music … "Very Beautiful Idea!" … I Love Your Work My Prince K E M A L …" -A fan again

Mister Lonely. Says a fan 'I love to be lonely with his music'

This is so beautiful soothing and stimulating for my eyes....ears....and soul , an amazing composition

Kyoto Girl. A very touching piece

Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Amica, Mistt, Amulet and 1 other person like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Listening to these one after the other made me realize that I had read a review of this long long ago. With the help of google, I got to that review....

here is an excerpt from it:
    There are so many songs out there that if I listened to just one I’d never know whether it was Muzak or not,” McKelvey, who is twenty-six years old, and has the kind of soft, persuasive voice that would sound good on late-night radio, told me. “But I could tell if I listened to the flow of a few. The key is consistency. How did those songs connect? What story did they tell? Why is this song after that song, and why is that one after that one? When we make a program, we pay a lot of attention to the way songs segue. It’s not like songs on the radio, or songs on a CD. Take Armani Exchange. Shoppers there are looking for clothes that are hip and chic and cool. They’re twenty-five to thirty-five years old, and they want something to wear to a party or a club, and as they shop they want to feel like they’re already there. So you make the store sound like the coolest bar in town. You think about that when you pick the songs, and you pay special attention to the sequencing, and then you cross-fade and beat-match and never break the momentum, because you want the program to sound like a d.j.’s mix.” She went on, “For Ann Taylor, you do something completely different. The Ann Taylor woman is conservative, not edgy, and she really couldn’t care less about segues. She wants everything bright and positive and optimistic and uplifting, so you avoid offensive themes and lyrics, and you think about Sting and Celine Dion, and you leave a tiny space between the songs or gradually fade out and fade in.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

While on google, I wanted to see what sort of music is played in various nationalities' shopping theaters. There are very few videos with the natural sound of the shopping mall; usually the video's original soundtrack is superposed with some other music. However, I was able to find the natural sounds of the world's oldest shopping mall -- at piazza del duomo, Milan, Italy.

Is the muzak different in a Delhi mall than it is in Chennai ?

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Then, here's one more for your collection, Cheeniya - you may know it already, but some of your readers may not! :beer-toast1:

Zoltán Mága, making his violin sing.
    Shostakovich, second waltz.

And, Clara Cernat. Csárdás by Vittorio Monti.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Amica, Cheeniya, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    Music is in everything; everything is in music. No one with an ear for music would say that noise in the Milano piazza del duomo is sheer cacophony. Listen to this Traditional Inuit chant of the Eskimos.

Look at the ecstasy on their countenance. I see it as soul filling as a classical Indian music.

Amica, Amulet and sokanasanah like this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    I was once listening to Luciano Pavarotti in total bliss when a friend of mine, a carnatic music aficionado, walked and when he heard Pavarotti, he grimaced and closed his ears with his palms. He couldn't accept that people could listen to such 'offense noise'.
    Pavarotti was not part of the seven basic notes!
    Here is a small piece of Pavarotti for you:

Amulet likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Though I can’t even pronounce the musicians name properly, the music was absolutely stunning and wonderful. I listened to all the songs and each one was an absolute gem. Thank you for a beautiful compilation.

Agatha83

8. Cheeniya

@sokanasanah
    My taste for western music could be attributed to my listening to Blue Danube of Johann Strauss. That was one of the earliest disk that I purchased. Almost all the music troups deemed it a great honour to play it. The song has been featured in several movies and notably in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey. Blue Danube is featured in many Walt Disney movies.

sokanasanah likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    Your appreciation is indeed a shot in the arm for me. This enthuses me to write more about Global music.
    Thank you
    Sri

10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

For me, it was a happy accidental encounter with Eine Kleine Nachtmusik when I was about twelve, from a record that belonged to someone else. Yes, 'Blue Danube' is probably the most famous waltz ever!
    If you like Strauss, and you like opera, then perhaps you also have heard Ingeborg Hallstein singing Strauss? Here she is, if not for you, then for others who may not know this most perfect of voices. If you do not know what a "pure" voice is, then rest assured that this is it. Utterly and completely without blemish, Ms. Hallstein's coloratura has an other-worldly power. It is hard to believe that this is a human voice - it is beauty distilled!

Voice of Spring - Johann Strauss II. Ingeborg Hallstein

Una voce poco fa - Rossini, Il Barbiere di Siviglia (sung in German). Ingeborg Hallstein. (the image, with bindi 'n all, is from Lakmé, not Il Barbiere ...)

Lakmé - Léo Delibes (sung in German). Ingeborg Hallstein. The recording is a bit weak on this one, but the beginning solo voice without accompaniment is remarkable nevertheless!)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Cheeniya and Amica like this.