1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

@viswa sir, so sorry to hear that you are closing the thread. It's from your posts that I came to know of this concept of hospice, and had the desire to render service to such patients in future sometime maybe as I feel it would be difficult for me. You are doing a good service to people in their vulnerable and important time, and also making people aware and more sensitive . Certain readers may be disturbed by seeing this thread as it's a grim reminder of realities of life , so they might have had such a harsh reaction to your posts. No doubt, your sincerity and genuine desire to help the patients comes across.Hopefully you will continue writing and inspire others to render services to humanity.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    startinganew and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hello Uncle ,

its really sad to see that you have decided on not updating your experiences here . I didnt expect this at all . Though I dont come to comment often here , only reason being i dont have anything profound to say for the solemn volunteer service you do at the hospice . i do read every post you make here hoping someday if and when i decide to go for it many years into the future these experiences stay in the back of my mind. actually from your post only i learn about such a volunteer opportunity and many details about it , its not for everyone . not sure when the time comes if i would be able to do it or not actually but your sharing of your work there was very useful. please do come back to post here if you feel like later on.

startinganew and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@nakshatra1 and @Caughtinbetween,

I appreciate your responses. At least for two of you, I will continue to post my experiences here in IL and I am sure many more are reading it regularly as well. Thank you for letting me know that you are regularly reading the updates in this thread.

SCA, nakshatra1 and Caughtinbetween like this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

thank you uncle .. glad to hear that you will continue writing . i am sure a lot of silent readers like me read your updates regularly and everyone would be happy to see this .

5. Viswamitra

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Senses Data: 19 patients - 4 deaths during the last 24 hours - 4 admissions

I have carefully reviewed the senses data and found out nearly 11 patients were suffering from terminal illness. The rest are visiting hospice due to age-related illness, specific illness which is not considered life threatening. It is painful to see people in the age group of 80 are suffering MRSA because of their frequent visit to the hospital. Hopefully, some solution will be derived to eradicate MRSA especially those who needs the service of the hospital.

We had 3 volunteers including myself. I was the youngest at the age of 65. A couple visited the Hospice only to see the facility before the husband's father was going to move into the Hospice care for a prolonged period of time. He expressed satisfaction by stating that the Hospice facility is better than the hospital. Only one patient came in during the duty time and I waited near him until the medical staff came to take care of him.

One of the volunteers sent me an article about the language of the dying people and the subject was intriguing to me. I am yet to read that and I hope there would be something in that article that I would be able to relate while serving the patients.

I am waiting for a period of time to work in the care center before I take other responsibilities like Rekii, family care, Veteran care, children's ward (This requires some more courage), life-time legacies, patient transportation, home visits, etc.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, I'm interested in hearing about this. When you read the article, please share some points here. A snippet or post, if you can make the time, would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. Viswamitra

@Amica

Thank you for your response. I will read it leisurely and post the highlights here in this thread.

Amica likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Monday, November 25, 2019

18 patients including 1 new admission and 1 new admission canceled - In the last 24 hours, 7 eternal departures, 7 admitted in the last 24 hours and 5 discharged. Like what happened a few months back, one of the patients who was about to be discharged left the Hospice in his motorized wheel chair and 30 minutes later, the nurses came looking for him. We didn't realize he was a patient about to be discharged. Then I went out in search for him while the transportation company was looking for him in different direction. Finally, we found him parked near a lake and asked him to complete the Hospice discharge procedure before he left home. This time it was not a runaway but he was relaxing in a nearby lake before discharge and we mistook as a runaway.

7 patients had some sort of cancer and others were suffering from age-related illness. The patient who came in was unconscious on arrival. The Ambulance staff shifted her carefully to the bed and the medical assistance took care of the rest. I was told to stand near the patient until the medical assistance are free to attend to the patient.

Those who are wondering, why it is dated Monday instead of Saturday, last week, I have requested for a change in the shift to make it easier for me over the weekend which the Coordinator readily obliged. I happened to meet a buddy of my mine who delivers medicine to the patient I used to meet in book-review meetings. He was happy that he could see me every Monday now. There were only three males in the book review meetings and the third one is a pastor.

The shift was uneventful. Two of my co-volunteers were over 80 years of age and has been volunteering for a while. They told me an incident that took place last Monday when they ended up pressing the panic button. The two visitors were in a fist fight inside the premises as well as outside. It looks like the cops came and took both of them to the Precinct.

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This thread is closed at the request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.