1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Respect For Diversity :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

To be one, and to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is may be even greater

We can't expect everyone to think or act exactly like us in this world. Because people have different experiences, life styles, growing up, and exposure to think and act differently.

Even two siblings may not be the same. A mother can not expect her children to think or act like her. That's the reality.

As someone rightly said, difference is the essence of humanity. It is the accident of birth, and that shouldn't be the source of hatred or conflict. The answer to such differences is to respect them.

There is a story behind every person for who they are and how they behave. Intimidating them for their choice is foolishness.

There may be questions in this forum about why I chose to teach everyone who shows disrespect towards diversity. I have options, either to ignore them, or silently leave this forum. But I chose a different route to educate those who don't know what is respect for diversity.
    Fortunately raising awareness on various manners, including attitude changes is part and parcel of my human development career. So, this comes naturally, though at times I lose my cool.

Of course, this one is a very tough path. You gotta hear a lot of criticism and false allegations from those who resist it. Many times, they are vocal, and have a voice in any forums when the neutral others go silent.

I grew up in a country, studied in a different country, married to a person from another country and worked in so many countries in the past 12 years of my career.
    Which gives me a lot of exposure and experience with varieties of people, and cultures which are very different from the unique culture that I have.

I have a number of encounters where I had questioned other's faith, and thought they were superstitions.
    But I didn't know others may have the same thought when I had certain faiths and practices. Gone are those days, when I was so naive, yet thought I was intelligent.

Similarly, what I think as normal may not be normal for someone else, and vice versa.
    Because we are different, and there is a reason behind why we are different.
    Just because we are different, doesn't mean one of us is always right and the other is always wrong. What important here is, the ability to find a middle ground, understand the matter through other person's eyes, and to respect for diversity. This is what completes you as a human.

Giving dowry is still a common practice in our part of the world. But that's not something unheard among the youngsters in the west.
    Africans do give dowry too, but not the brides. Grooms give dowry, and it is for their respect to buy a wife.
    From their POV, we Asian women buy our husbands through hefty dowry.
    But here in Asia, we still have people who rightfully demand dowry, and think it is a pride to ask.

Chinese still eat snakes and certain leeches as their main food. For us, it may be "eee"
    But for them, eating full plates of rice using hands may seem "eee"

Before marriage I always imagined of a great relationship with my MIL. Because that's how MILs are in my FOO.
    But mine was different, and we never had anything good in terms of relationship.
    After seeing my difficulties, my sister was indeed afraid of her future MIL. But she was blessed with another mother in the form of MIL.
    What we think is what we know. But it doesn't mean what it is. Hence we should be always open to new things.

Therefore arguing, criticizing, blaming, labeling, or ganging up against a person's choice of life, or choice of words, or choice of belief is NOT going to help.
    They may be different, because their paths are different their experience are different. Try to understand why they are different from you and learn from it.
    If you can't understand their POV, respect it and move on.
    Don't push them to change it, so that they match with the rest.

Someone's faith in God may disturb an atheist.
    Someone's superstition may disturb an intellectual
    Someone's belief may disturb an unbeliever
    It doesn't mean that "someone" is wrong. It means, you have zero tolerance to other's choice.
    Unless and until they poke their nose and force you with their choices, there is nothing that should disturb you.
    If at all, you are disturbed, you should introspect your tolerance level and seek assistance to improve it.
    But it is unacceptable to expect that "someone" to change their choice because of your problem.

PS: This thread is open for all. But if you think that you have nothing to contribute here, kindly leave it.
    If you don't agree with the content, kindly post your disagreement respectfully.
    If you feel intimidated by this thread or the choice of words that I have used here, please report. The mods will take care of it.
    Please don't dig through my old threads, and old conversations here to divert this thread. Because stalkers are not welcomed here. Thank you!!!

startinganew and hridhaya like this.

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Hi SGBV,

Diversity has always been my subject of interest. Especially when a person is exposed to more diverse environments, his/her maturity grows and they become humble because they realise what they know is very little and what they are yet to know is a lot.

This one line sums it all up.

Maturity to remember that there is a story behind everything is the fundamental basis for respect in diversity and unity alike.

Couldn't agree more! When we do not know the entirety of the reasons behind something, the best thing is to avoid criticising and labelling someone's choice - be it words or anything for that matter. What someone does might not match our definition, but its their choice and we should have no business to criticise or brand them for it. Lets not judge people based on our definitions.

deepthyanoop and SGBV like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@sbonigala for your wise words.
    I agree 100% with what you have quoted below.

It is important to question whatever the differences in a decent way

The probing questions of 5 Ws & H (Why, What, Where, When Whom & How) can clarify almost all the questions you have regarding the differences.
    And that's the best way to sort things out.

Problems arise when someone assume that they know everything; hence the other person who has a different view must be wrong; thus they accuse them for having a wrong choice.
    When there is respect for diversity, there will never be any conflicts

4. rgz

rgz Gold IL'ite

A rose by any name is still rose.
    Similarly bullcrap by any name is also still bullcrap.
    I think we should discern that.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Exactly. It is important to see things for what they really are and not for what you want them to be. That's what maturity and respect for diversity is. Thanks for your wise words!!!

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A peacekeeper's job is not a very enviable one. Nevertheless he has to carry on in the larger interests of all. Nothing is dearer to me than the total bonhomie in the community. With that in mind, I close this post. May peace, perfect peace reign supreme in our community.
    Sri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.