1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Half Saree Function In The Us

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Angela123, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

What's the need for helicopter in a puberty ceremony??

Vaikuntha likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The old "signaling" scheme to let the extended clan know that there is a marriageable woman in this household would also include signals of their wealth. They don't want any yahoo off the street coming up the front door, to ask for her in marriage.

Big name venue, large number of invitees, lavish parties, and whatever else they can throw in, to achieve that "stay away, you miserable poor lot" message would be just right.

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Or just simply because they want to. They can afford to and hence they do!! Like anyone choosing to go to an exotic vacation or buying a Tesla instead of a Nissan Leaf.... etc etc.

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

DD who has attained puberty should be on notice that helicopter parenting will continue, and probably intensify. :neutral:

startinganew, suasin and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I didn't know the puberty ceremony (that's how it is called in Sri Lanka) has another name like half-saree ceremony.

The puberty ceremony is celebrated mostly like a wedding, depending on the wealth and comfort of the parents.
    It is not celebrated immediately after attaining menarche, but definitely around that time marking that event.
    Like if a girl attained her menarche in February, and all her uncles and aunts living in abroad could only make a visit after June, then the function will be held in June or July depending on their comfort.
    But definitely not before she attain menarche or several years after that.

And Sri Lankans don't just make it only as a fun event, but include a lot of fabulous traditional essence it it.
    Like bathing the girl in a scented water in a pool of flowers. Making her maternal uncle do certain rituals after that, and allowing all the close buddies extend their blessings and wishes one after the other.
    All will be video graphed, and the event will be covered like a mini movie with BGM and all.

Never heard of Dhoti ceremony, but it is indeed fun!

Laks09 likes this.
  6. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

In telugu clan (andhra states), half saree function is done when is girl is in 11th year and puberty function, when her menstruation starts.
    We do celebrate both the functions equally and now a days nothing less than a wedding.

Have seen dhoti functions too from many years(not so elaborate as Half saree functions) where it is similar to half saree function in 11th year.

But if they have 2 kids- male and female and they both are in odd numbers of age (11/13) they would have a single function for both in grand way

Laks09 likes this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

That's a great idea.
    I have 2 kids, boy & girl aged 8 & 6 respectively.
    For the girl, I am planning something like puberty ceremony as it is common for all the girls here. Though I don't like the heart of this function, I would want something fun like a half-saree function along that time.
    The idea is just to invite all the relatives, and friends for a gala family time. It's been a while since we hosted a big even other than both my kids' first birthday functions.
    With the hectic life-style of ours, we need something like this too.

Nevertheless, I am worried about my son. Because he will not get anything big as such. Its a dream for every kid to be the center of attention in big functions like this.
    Also not sure, whether they will chose grand weddings or simple court marriage or living together option as they grow. So, I simply like the idea of celebrating something along with traditional as well as fun line.
    And this Dhoti ceremony caught my attention through this thread.

I am happy that I could do something like this, though it is not at all common in Sri lanka. Never mind, who cares...

Btw, we Roman Catholics do celebrate the first holy communion of our kids elaborately. I am also planning to do the function for both my kids together in a grand way.
    But sadly, these functions are very religious and typical western traditions. I want something along with our roots.

startinganew and Laks09 like this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In some cultures, the coming of age ceremony is a teensy bit worrisome for boys than girls. However, there'd be suitable recompense in various manners.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:​
    Bar mitzvah (Hebrew: בַּר מִצְוָה) is a Jewish coming of age ritual for boys.
    Bat mitzvah (Hebrew: בַּתמִצְוָה; Ashkenazi pronunciation: bas mitzveh) is a Jewish coming of age ritual for girls.

According to Jewish law, when a Jewish boy is 13 years old, he becomes accountable for his actions and becomes a bar mitzvah. A girl becomes a bat mitzvah at the age of 12 according to Orthodox and Conservative Jews, and at the age of 13 according to Reform Jews.[1] Before the child reaches bar mitzvah age, parents hold the responsibility for their child's actions. After this age, the boys and girls bear their own responsibility for Jewish ritual law, tradition, and ethics, and are able to participate in all areas of Jewish community life. Traditionally, the father of the bar mitzvah gives thanks to God that he is no longer punished for the child's sins.[2] In addition to being considered accountable for their actions from a religious perspective, a thirteen-year-old male may be counted towards an Orthodox prayer quorum and may lead prayer and other religious services in the family and the community.

9. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

In my families we do celebrate saree function and half saree function.. But seriously I feel embarrassed.. I was just wondering is their any rationale or supersitious reason for this (like blessings).. Will we get any harm if we don't do it.

Also I dont' like my mohter in law.. Can I just call a priest to perform it? Is it common in the US?