Does any body know how to make JUNNU?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tejudatla, Jan 4, 2007.

1. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

Today I made JUNNU with junnu powder which my brother-in-law bought it from India. It came out very good. But I added more pepper...I should reduce this next time.

Regards
    srilak.

2. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Srilak,

Cud u plz let me know where ur BIL bought junnu powder??? My frns r coming from India next week here ( CANADA )so that if I ask them to bring... my MOM n DAD can send tons of Junnu Powder 4 me......Appudu kani naa aasa podu...

So Junnu Powder is available in INDIA. It's true ... Good News just 4 me n Junnu Lovers ..... :yes:

Thanq Thanq Thanq Srilak to let us know about Junnu Powder...
    Tej:wave

3. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,
    My BIL bought junnu powder from Vizag. On the top of the packet it says KAMADHENU junnu powder. He said it is avilable in all the dairy farms in VIzag.

If your friend coming from Hyderabad, they can search there in dairy farms. Now it is a popular item in all cities. In some marriage festivels also they are giving junnu as a desert. So u can imagine that it became a common and popular desert in household.

Regards
    srilak.

4. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Srilak,

My MIL's family is also living in Vizag n her sis is coming to our place next week. Thanq to let me know about the name of Junnu Powder. Wow !!! I am very glad to hear that it became the famous desert in all occassions... then from now onwards no body need to wait for oroginal Junnu milk....:2thumbsup:

Luv
    Tej:wave

5. Akanksha

Akanksha New IL'ite

Dear Teja,

I am also very excited like you. Yes it does became very popular in Indian functions. I love Junnu so much and you reminded me about my childhood memories. I have no idea whether I can get Condensed Milk or not. If any one from India heard and can get about that plz let me know wjere can I get. Because I can't wait for Original Junnu milk as it surely is seems to be very easy to make with c.milk.

Regards
    Akanksha

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I think milmaid is your solution. milkmaid condensed milk is available in all stores.

Happy eating junnu

shanthi.

7. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

Here my aunt sent me the recipe for Junnu using China Grass...

"Junnu" is a typical delicacy enjoyed by the people of Andhra. For original dish, first day milk after the birth of a calf is normally required. However, every body cannot get this milk, particularly in big cities. For such people, there is another method of preparing "Junnu" by using "China Grass". Given below is a receipe of making Junnu with china grasss. Chine grass is manufactured by a firm in Chennai (Madras) and is available in some of the stores.

Ingredients:

1. China Grass (A packet of 10 grams)
    2. Milk (One Liter)
    3. Ilachi (Cardmom) - 6 pods - powdered without shells
    6. Pepper - 6 or 7 (optional) - coursely ground
    7. Couple of fruits like cherries for decoration
    8. Sugar - 2 cups (a little more or less per taste)

Method:

1. Grind to powder cardmom after removing shells

2. Coorsely grind pepper seeds

3. Boil milk

4. Takeout china grass from packet and wash it in cold water to remove traces any preservative. After thoroughly washing, drain the water.

5. When milk starts boiling, add washed and drained china grass. The China grass melts in the boiling milk in 4 to 5 minutes.

6. After addging china grass, add two cups of sugar and stir constantly.

7. After china grass and sugar melts, add cardamom power and coursely ground pepper. Stir well for a few seconds and remove the vessel from fire.

8. Allow the mixture to cool a little. Then you may pour the mixture in separate small mounds like ice-cream cups or leave it in the vessel itself.

9. Place fruits (cut to suitable size) on top of the mixture in each mould or sprinke these pieces in the vessel.

10. Place the moulds or vessel with the mixture and fruits in refrigerator (not deep freezer).

11. In about one hour, the mixture solidifies like ice-cream (or Junnu - if you have ever seen it). After it becomes solid, it will not melt like ice-cream.

12. Fruits are only optional and without them also, this tastes good. If moulds are not available, pour the mixture in a deep plate, so that you may cut it into squares or diamonds after it becomes solid.

13. Similarly, pepper is also optional. Please note that after it become solid, Pepper and cardamom power forms a sort of layer at the bottom.

14. This tastes exactly like Junnu.

15. If less quantity is required, you may use only 5 grams of china grass and half a liter milk.

16. If not kept in refrigerator, consume on the same day. In fridge, remains edible for two day...

8. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

This is called 'Kadambu paal' in Tamil.
    In Hindi they call it "CHEEK".
    In Marathi they call it "Kharwas" ...

9. Shummy

Shummy New IL'ite

Hey Ladies,

I have joined just now. Iam very new to this site. I heard about this site thru my friends and just registered. Here really I am sunned by all your cooperation at each other. I am feeling great to be the part of this nice community.

I too liked Junnu since my childhood and I would like to share my recipe also with you ladies. hope you all enjoy it...

Ingridients:

eggs - 2
    whole milk - 2.5 cups or 20 oz
    sweetened condensed milk - 1 can or 400 ml
    pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
    cardamom powder (elaichi) - 1/4 tsp

Preparation:
    1. In a bowl beat 2 eggs with a hand mixer or with a fork well.
    2. Now add milk, pepper powder, cardamom powder to the egg mixture and beat for 1 more minute.
    3. Finally add the condensed milk to the above and beat for 2 more minutes.
    4. Now pour 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and place this bowl covered with lid.
    5. Cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for 45 to 50 minutes on medium flame without whistle.
    6. Junnu is ready.
    7. It is good if refrigerated after 5-8 hours.
    Please Note :

Note:
    • This recipe can be prepared alternatively with the lactating milk of cows or buffaloes, but all times lactating milk is not available.
    • The steel or aluminium bowls are pressure cooker safe. So u can actually mix and cook junnu in the same bowl or transfer into small steel desert serving bowls and pressure cook in them.
    • If u don`t like to have the pepper powder and cardamom powder to be cooked and chewed while eating, u can actually boil the whole milk with these pepper and cardamom powder for 5 minutes, and then cooled and strain before adding it to the beaten egg mixture, so that the flavour of pepper and cardamom is absorbed by the milk
    Ofcourse you all know about this recipe by now. But I still wanted to give my contribution.

I also would liked to know about China Grass . If any one know that where should we get it in India kindly share with me.

Thank you Tej for starting such a yummy thread and let us understand in all languages.

Yours
    Shummy

10. Shummy

Shummy New IL'ite

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0>My partner loves this recipe very much. So I collected diferent recipes for him.
    Here is another one. It's diffrent method doen't add eggs. But I think she didn't add condensed milk either.

junnu <TR vAlign=center><TD width="50%"><TD align=middle width="50%">Preparation Time : 30 mints
    Cooking Time : 10 -12 mints
    Serves / Makes : 4-5

Ingredients

musk melon seeds(dehusked) - 1 cup
    sugar - 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cup
    milk - 3+1(for grinding)
    water - 1 cup
    elachi powder - 1/2 tsp.-opt.

Method

1.soak the melon seeds overnight.
    2.drain the water add one cup milk nd grind in a mixie.
    3.in a pan take the ground paste add all the ingridients except elachi.keep stirring .cook until the mittai resembles curdled milk.bring down.mix in the elachi powder.
    cool nd serve.

User Comments & Tipsif musk melon seeds or not available replace it with red pumkin seeds.
    this is a traditional a.p. mittai which is easy to make and is healthy to eat.

Yours
    Shummy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007