Few Clarifications, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by dhivyacc, Sep 13, 2019.

1. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

Am decluttering the pantry stocks, please help with some ideas.

1. I have some unused roasted / unroasted all mixed - rice flours - which we use for idiyappam and puttu. can i use it to grind idly dosa batter?

2. Often we end up wasting wheat rava because of no one likes it - is ther any alternate recipes using wheat rava except upma / kitchidi etc

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I won't recommend for dosa /idli batter because for that coursely ground flour works and not fine ground one.
    Try Amminni kozhukattai for a snack one day,akki rotti, kodubale from this rice flour. I'll share recipes of these 3 below.

This rava works well in dosa .

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Rice Flour is a thickener. Use it in any sambar and cut down on the amount of dal-paste. It would make your sambar the same viscosity for a lower cost (rice cheaper than toor dal).

Rava is good in dosai (thanks @Anusha2917 ). And fortuitously (lucky that it so happens) the recipe would use up both rava and rice flour.

dhivyacc, SinghManisha and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

You. An make dosa using wheat Rava,it will be yummy. Just soak the rava, grind with onion,green chili and curry leaves .squeesh all water. Grind without any water. Grind coarsely . After grinding, you can add chopped veggies ,cilantro,hing. Mix and prepare thick dosa and serve with coconut chutney

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    dhivyacc, SinghManisha and joylokhi like this.
  5. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

For the second part of your question - you can use wheat Rava (Sooji) to make Sooji halwa/Rava kesari,Rava dosa, rava Ladoo,Rava uttapam (Instant rava uttapam | Suji uttapam | Breakfast recipes - I had personally tried it and loved it).

You can add little Rava to your dough while making poories, it keeps the poories puffed up for a long time, it is also used as a main ingredient for making puries for pani poori.You can add some rava to your left over idli batter for making punugulu.

6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

You can use the rice flour with coconut milk to make dosa. I think it is called neer dosa , a very thin dosa that goes well with chicken and fish curries .

I use sooji for coating fish/ vegetable fry , thickener for dosas( MIL’s valuable tip).

dhivyacc, Sunshine04 and Anusha2917 like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Another dish made with Sooji is Hyderabadi tootak which is a starter, it can be made with veggies or minced meat. The veggie ball or meat ball is wrapped with a Sooji dough and fried.

dhivyacc and Anusha2917 like this.
  8. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

Great tips :clap2:

Anusha2917 likes this.
  9. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Now let us know which you tried and succeeded so that in future we can keep that in mind when we decide to de clutter our pantry stocks. :smiley::smiley:

10. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

:grinning::grinning:

i did that small balls kolukattai for todays morning snacks and packed for the kiddos.
    yesterday Idiyappam +M.gravy ...

for kolukattai - Added idly chilly powder for first time
    second batch - with chicken 65 Masala ;)

While i took the wheat Rava.. children cried .. so could not experiment much using wheat rava.

Anusha2917 likes this.