Are You A Vegetarian????

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by nimitakain, Jan 31, 2017.

Are you a vegetarian????

1. Pure veggie

55.8%
  2. Veggie but takes egg

15.4%
  3. Non veggie

28.8%
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Now I am a pure vegetarian after understanding the concept of being in the highest form of life (human), I need to perform highest form of service as much as I could to the well-being of the world taking the lowest form in the food chain. I was born in Tamil Brahmin family but I explored all kind of non-vegetarian food when I was young until I came to this realization.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I used to be vegetarian until around 8 years ago. Now I eat all meats and I do not regret it:blush:!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. sunchiajju

sunchiajju Bronze IL'ite

I am a pure non-vegetarian

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Interesting. But the OP @Anusowmyan is now-a-days MIA. Others @Viswamitra too not seen in action perhaps busy in hospice.
    2. We have some animals which are vegetarian & their dung good for soil.
    3. That reminds one that man & of course women too - are rational animals.
    But birds or love birds are omnivorous.
    4. In flight to Frankfurt the experience of passenger like OP WOULD BE DIFFERENT. YOU order veg breakfast and the contents on platter include some non- veg. Definition of veg & non veg widely differs in different altitudes and airlines besides latitudes & longitudes.
    5. For Bengali vegetarians staple food besides rice is FISH - yes river fish varieties. I happened to be unconsciously non veg and can hazard a guess how & when.
    6. My Bengali pal accuses that veg people among Hindu Brahmins are the reason for the alarming rise in PRICE OF EGGS of Namakkal. He said Brahmins consume eggs in various forms. They use egg white and yellow for baby bath besides making parlour products at home & double omelette with generous sprinkling of butter, finely chopped onion & mirchi & fried ready capsicum.

7. “Kya? Tum Non-Veg nahi khaate ?”
    Wow. I just said I'm a vegetarian. Did you figure that out all by yourself? How would I get body’s vital requirements of varieties of proteins. I said from U tube. if you're a vegetarian stuck in a land of meat-eaters, I bet you've heard same question.

upload_2019-9-1_14-2-24.gif

8. Is it religious belief that decides one about what to be. Veg or non veg or omnivorous or - eggeaterian! Irreligious among orthodox Hindu Brahmins & Jains stealthily consume non veg upsetting demand supply curve . But the converse also be true. I mean if all turns to be and remain vegetarian , the non veg group would find non-veg food for them turn cheap.

9. In a beer session my two friends B & C after two bottles , ordered food veg for me and for them their favourite chicken. Inter alia they discussed food.
    B: which is healthy veg or non veg food?
    C: of course - no doubt non veg is .
    Me: if they are healthy, then think what the animals eat to survive and remain healthy till they reach the abattoir. Goats and cows & buffalo eat grass and plants. If animals eat plants then why humans eat vegetarian food which all plant Based?
    10. It is said sathvik food is good for sound mind and body and keep the person balanced. Non sathvik recommended for soldiers so that the warrior quality runs in their blood stream.
    11. Wars invariably ( not Iran - Iraq or any Muslim dominant country) are fought between non sathviks.
    So my vote is for VEGETARIAN.

5. Viswamitra

I am a vegetarian by birth. Born in Tamil Brahmin family, eating vegetarian food, celebrating the festivals with right rituals, chanting Slokas regularly, Prayers at the time of Sunrise, Sun at the peak and Sun set, etc. were very regular for me. I used to chant 1,008 Gayathri Mantras on Gayatri Japam days and never used to miss Upakarma (Avaniavittam).

When I went to the college (staying in hostel), slowly, all of these rituals disappeared and then exploration of non-vegetarian meal began. Fish, chicken, egg, etc. have become favorite food. Frankly, I became very healthy with balanced nutrition and a lot of work out as most vegetarian meal served in the hostel canteen were mostly carb with no balanced diet.

Then I got married. My wife is a pure vegetarian born again in Tamil Brahmin family. Their entire family are big Sathya Sai Baba devotees. Having noticed some great qualities with her such as being very considerate to poor people, treating them with respect, teaching them moral values, helping them educate, her practice of vegetarianism and the rationale that every human being should contribute the highest value to the community and for the source of energy should access only the lowest in the food chain, etc., I was very impressed. I started reading Sathya Sai Baba's teachings and began a big fan of His teachings including vegetarianism. I still strayed every now and then into non-veg food and after reaching a certain age, I decided either I need to practice the teachings or lead a life away from the teachings. I decided to practice vegetarianism and read a lot of philosophy from various sources. That is how I became a vegetarian again and a deeply devoted spiritual being. I am enjoying this life.

Do I believe that those eating non-veg can't be spiritual? Of course, not. Frankly, I needed to stop eating non-veg to eliminate my animal qualities. I even believe the food has to be cooked with love, vegetables will have to be bought from a fresh market where the produces are properly bought and not stolen, clean thoughts during cooking, etc. are essential for the food to bring the best thoughts in my mind.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:Just read this thread to refresh.
    2. It is a healthy topic but I am disappointed participation a far & few between.
    3. I though my post here would de truncate and newcomers would peep in.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.
  7. pinkpeony

pinkpeony Senior IL'ite

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:This indirectly establishes that food has feelings!
    If only chefs and other housewives or house-husbands cook food with noble thoughts in mind ans serve it all with love and affection among their family members or clients, the world would ever remain a happy place.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God- for some - food is medicine & medicine is their food.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

If you look back a few generations, the women used to cook food in the morning after having a shower and reciting Vishnu Sahasranamam, Thirupavai, Aditya Hridayam, Lalitha Sahasranamam, etc. They buy vegetables from a fresh market and/or the regular vendor who brings vegetables to the residence. They sincerely practiced what I said above. Whether the cooked food has feelings or not, powerful thoughts, emotions, and feelings have significant energy and will transfer to the food cooked similar to the ingredients and the heat energy that is used to cook.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:Yes. I had seen my mother observing all these. The last job in the kitchen for her is to keep the cooking corner cleaned and morning first job in kitchen is to put Kola with rice flour on the oven and simultaneously chant the Slokas day that you had stated above.
    Thanks and Regards