How Many “homemakers” Are There In Indusladies ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Aug 24, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My confusions being a homemaker abroad has been divulged in many threads.Flexibilty of vacations to India is one of the reasons but apart from that Right now, honestly though am not career driven am trying to find a job coz I know my emotional health is taking a toss.

Am Also worried that someday my kids my also comment on me being a homemaker..

Finding it tough to get a job but hopefully I will get one soon..

Just out of curiosity,how many are homemakers abroad and how do you manage it confidently and are completely okay with your decision?

As kids grow older..more free time one gets how do you spend it

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I am from today :sunglasses:

After 9 years of job I'm taking a break and going to enjoy my time being a homemaker.

Yesterday was my last working day.

Mehana, Rampuri9, Thyagarajan and 9 others like this.
  3. Anusha2917

They would complain about working moms too . I have seen my manager sit and regret at office how her kids wants her to be at home.
    So both ways are possible Anika.

Yes you will. Good luck with it.

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  4. Positivity02

Positivity02 Silver IL'ite

I'm a home maker in US but only because of h4 visa. I do feel my qualifications and previous work experience in india are getting wasted by not working.
    However, during this break we planned to have a baby and I'm currently pregnant. With all the health limitations I feel good staying at home for now. I still have few more years on dependent visa which is good for me to take care of my kid.
    Later on planning to do a certification in my field which will help me update myself and in joining the work force.
    In my opinion, having a career and financial independence is important for me and my family's future.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

If you don’t mind me asking,how old are your kids? Is there any particular reason like kids growing up for why you quit job?sorry if it was personal..coz many also say kids need them as they grow up..hence asked

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. Anusha2917

No. Kids Anika.
    This break is for me to take up some course in my field. Doing it with a job was difficult for me to handle travel studying and a hectic office job..

So I'll be back to work in a few months or maximum one year.
    For you I suggest take up a certification in your field. You can still explore new courses not related to your field and take up job related to that.

Few other ideas : you can ignore if you don't like these ideas. Since you are in the US these things may work there.

1) if you are interested in baking take up a baking class and learn different types of baking. Try to use "healthy baking " USP by using whole wheat flour etc and start taking small orders from friends.
    2) if you are connected to Indian families there and you can take up idli dosa batter business. You can take orders from your working friends and do it for them as and when they need.
    3) small cooking orders you can take from Indian families.
    4) A small parantha joint where there are Indians .
    5) think of taking up franchise of some juice /ice cream shop .(not sure how this works in the US)
    6)Learn tailoring and help your friends wilth stitching dresses / blouse.

If you think of some sort of business on these lines then your travel to India will not be affected. You can travel when you need to.

I'm assuming From your other posts that financially you don't have a complusion to make certain $$ in a month. But having something small for yourself and earning small/big amount will definitely up our confidence.

Good luck. Career doesn't always mean sitting in a fancy company and slogging. There's more one can do individually as a passion and make some money at the same time be with kids in their growing years..

I'm editing to add that it's absolutely fine even if you are a homemaker. Nothing wrong in it dear.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

:worship2:

Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

well said. And besides if there is no daily/weekly/quarterly performance appraisals ( by some live-in pest) anyone can do that job.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    gorgeous23 and Anusha2917 like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The Parable of 3 Thieves
    I am sure this Telugu story is also told in Tamil, Kannada etc.. This is about 3 thieves who had been "casing" a little Ganesh Temple on the edge of town. There was a good sized sapphire gifted by a wealthy merchant in town, and it was embedded in the bellybutton of the Ganesh idol. The Temple had scant defenses. A large lock, but only 4 tumblers, estimated one of the three thieves. Easy peasy. Once past the lock, there is nothing much between them and the sapphire.

On one amavaasya night, the thieves go to the temple, wait till the priests locked the gate and went home. And then they go to the temple. The lock-man gets them through in a few seconds. The thieves listen for any sounds inside the temple. Nothing. They sneak up to the idol. All they had to do is to pry out the cement around the stone, and lift it. One thief feels around the stone. Unfortunately for him, papa-Scorpion was out foraging, as he always does at night. He sees the fingers coming towards him, turns around, cocks his stinger, and gives the thief a good injection.

The Thief springs back in pain. However, he didn't want to let the other two know that he had been stupid to let something in the dark sting him like that. To the other two hissing at him "What..what ?" in the dark, he replied:
    "It is an amazing feeling, so large, and so cool. You must feel it before we start prying it off", and stepped back to let Th-2 get at the stone.

Th-2 goes forward, reaches in to feel the stone. By this time, Mrs.Scorpion had joined her mate to investigate why her dH is angry. And she can see why, as the fingers of the Th-2 came up within the scope of her stinger. She gets double angry, and showed it in her response to the marauding fingers. He too stepped back holding his fingers, and even though tears streaked down from his eyes, it was too dark to see his face. When he collected himself sufficiently, Th-1 and Th-2 both addressed the third. "Yes..mate; you've got to feel the stone, and see what an experience that is..." And Th-3 started wondering whether he too should step forward and enjoy the feeling that the other two had enjoyed... [In the story, Th-3, being only as clever as his mates, steps forward to enjoy the hospitality of the Scorpion family, and when he falls back in pain, all three yelp out in agony]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Parables are told as moral lessons for life.​

10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Mothers tend to imagine that there is the choice of either Stay-at-home OR be-employed-for-a-wage. For those who are wage-workers, in the reality it works out to be "earn a wage AND do all that a stay-at-home mother/wife might do as well".

Anika is the lucky one who could afford to stay home, and engage in the sweet task of keeping home/inmates happy, without having to bother with doing that at a place of employment as well.

Here is some relevant discussion-entertainment to watch:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    jillcastle and Lalithambigai like this.