1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memorable Train Journey In 2016

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jun 26, 2019.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

We all have train journeys but some train journeys become memorable because of the co passengers who travel with us , more when it is a lovely family . I also had a comfortable train journey with a lovely malayalee family consisting of Father, daughter and his two cute grandchildren Before I start writing about this train journey let me write about our train tickets Our train tickets were booked well in advance but still we got 2nd class tickets only. That time we did not feel anything because only now a days we are travelling by 3rd AC where as earlier we have always travelled by 2nd class only. My sis in law, her husband, my husband's nephew, his wife and son had agreed to come with us and my brother in law, my husband's brother , so his daughter booked tickets for us but later my sis in law and her husband said they are going by flight and also my husband's nephew and his family. So we three were left. Then when it became very hot here I was thinking how we are going to travel by train. I asked my son whether he will book flight tickets he said ok but when I asked my brother in law's daughter she said her papa cant travel by flight because he gets high blood pressure. I told her how we will be able to travel in this hot season and the time when agni nakshatram starts. She told me dont worry periamma we have booked again in 3rd ac but have not told papa because he will shout. Your return ticket is confirmed , for going its in waiting list but it will be confirmed before you leave. I forgot to mention we were leaving for marriage in Tripur of my sis in law's grandson on 9th May 2016. We were leaving on 4th May in the night and morning our tickets were confirmed. Evening me and my husband went to my brother in law's house and from there after having yummy dinner (Puri and Aamras) , me, my husband and brother in law left for th ejourney and his son took us comfortably by a cab. Though we were all Senior Citizens above 70 we got middle and upper berth only. When we reached the compartment in our compartment one loving Malayalee family was there. I told the lady that I need lower berth because of my hip bone fracture. Immediately she said she will sleep in the middle berth with her daughter and her son slept in the other middle berth and her father in the lower berth.

Morning got very friendly with the family. Her son was going to 4th std and daughter to senior kg. Her son asked whether I know to play uno cards(dont remember whether I have written correctly) because first time I have heard about that game. Another muslim couple were sitting in the RAC seat and the man there said that his wife knows to play that game. For sometime he played with her, then they played snake and ladder. Then her son taught me that game and we played , then I asked whether he knows to play another game were we have one person has to put right sign and the other wrong sign and if they get 3 rights or 3 wrongs in straight line or horizontal and crossed line that person will be th winner. Most of the time the boy only won. He was a very smart boy and his sister though still a kid was also smart . Sometimes they fought, sometime sfriendly. Then we played making word with the ending word. So did not know how our time passed. We got intot he train on 4th night and on 6th morning at 7 a.m. reached Coimbatore. My brother in law went to see his sister and we got into Sabari express after havingyummy breakfast in Coimbatore at 8.45. a.m. I was worried whether we will be able to get into the compartment safely as I am scared while getting into the train because of the gap between the platform and train. In that train also we had comfortable journey with youngsters. One lady was studying in Hyderabad and was going to native place for holidays and other two young men were there whom my husband entertained and did not think of getting down too because when my husband starts talking he is deeply involved in the subject, then I told him that we have to get down and train wont stop for long . The young man said he will help in taking our luggage , so we got down comfortably and after sometime my daughter, son in law, his brother and my gran ddaughter came and took us to hotel first for lunch where we had lunch with payasam and other items in a plantain leaf at Ernakulam. From there we went to Tripunithura to my husband's nephew's house and then in the evening to my son in law's house in the evening to Vaikom. Next day went to temple in the morning and night we had to leave for Tripur for the marriage. Early morning at 4 a.m. we reached Tripur and th egirl's brother came to take to the hall. We were the first one to reach the hall. About marriage and our return trip will write separately

peddadas and Thyagarajan like this.

2. iyerviji

My dear Anna(@Cheeniya)

I want this post to be deleted as there us no feedback

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes, it takes a while for people to come and see what is going on in the IL forum.

Indian train journey stories are always interesting. Children teaching older strangers how to play card games is a good one. Sometimes, people even discover very distant relatives in train journeys.
    Did you all share foods ? Train journey stories always have descriptions of the foods people bring along, and share.
    70+ people get lower berths ? This is new information. I must remember this for the next time I go on a train.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  4. satinder11

satinder11 New IL'ite

Your posts are always super Madam, why you wish to delete.
    Its a nice post. I also have many memorable train journeys from my school days. will share soon. Be happy and keep smiling madam, we respect you

iyerviji likes this.
  5. iyerviji

Thanks dear for the first feedback and makingme happy. Ya we shared our food.Ya for senior citizens liwer berth is available.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

When you put your head down sideways on the lower berth, even on a thick pillow, the sound of the train at a steady speed will sound like a mrudangam solo in a music concert. The change of the sound when the train goes over bridges, culverts, or slightly rotted out slepper ties the music will change.

You must come to @Cheeniya 's music thread, and hear (and see) what he has been posting. I think a recording of the sound of a train on a long run during the night would be quite good.

link to music thread: Music Around The World

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  7. iyerviji

Welcome to my snippet.Glad to know you like my posts. Glad you also have memorable train journeys. Waiting to read them. Glad you respect me. Thanks

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. iyerviji

Ya I have experienced.i have gone through his thread

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. saibaba171819

saibaba171819 Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji chechi. I loved reading your writing and my mind just went back to one of my train journey in 1988. I and my mother took the Jayanthi Janata train from Trichur to reach at Kalyan. The day we took the train I had viral fever. My Mother's seat was confirmed and mine was on waiting list. we were booked in Sleeper class. Being the month of May and vacation time the Train was fully packed and there was no chance for my seat to get confirmed. We got into the train and sat adjusting each other on one seat. Seeing our discomfort and my feverish face, the family sitting in opposite seat were kind enough to share their seat with us and thus we both sat a bit comfortably. I was very feverish and was dozing due to high temperature and from that sleep I could see a handsome man sitting in next opposite Parallel seat looking at me. I ignored him. after sometime he came next to us and told my mother to give me hot tea and I will feel better. So we purchased hot tea and drank as per his advise. After some time we got a little friendly and started sharing many subjects. We laughed, he made fun of me , I made many time fun of him. Thus our travel was going on. We could see the fields of sunflower on our way and he suddenly said see the beautiful sunflowers, just like you. I blushed. Thus we got more friendly and the time came for him to say goodbye to me as his destination was nearing and my destination was after 4-5 stations. My handsome friend was all dressed up as he had to get down. We both sat on one seat quietly as we knew we will not meet again. It was the time when there was no cell phones. We sat quietly and it was time for him to leave, he gently told me I am leaving, will you meet me again. I was confused. He asked me whether he can come to my house to speak to my parents. He saif he wanted to marry me. I was very happy and gave him my address. He came the following Sunday to meet me, he spoke to my mother that wants to marry me. My Mother said I have 2 daughters and this is the younger one, She has a elder sister who has to get married. So we are sorry we cannot go ahead with this proposal. He was very sad and while leaving asked me again will you come with me? I was confused one side my Mother who had sacrificed her life for us and one side this handsome boy looking at me with expectation, But I said No, I will not go against my Mother. Thus he left and never we saw each other. After 1 year my sister got married, and then after 2 years I also married , We both married the person selected by our parents. Today I am a 50 year old lady, got my daughter married and me and my husband are living a happy Life. But today also when a discussion comes of Train travel, my heart goes to those days and I remember that handsome boy. Today he might be somewhere in the world happily married. Yaadein reh jaate hain, baatein yaad aati hai. Viji chechi you refreshed my old memories.

Thanks .

iyerviji likes this.
  10. saibaba171819

saibaba171819 Silver IL'ite

If at all he sees this Post by some chance, if he is in India of any where outside, I would like to convey my sincere apologies for breaking his heart.We were not destined.

iyerviji likes this.