Starting Food Business

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by Ramyarc, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies
    I am planning to start a small food business. I live in Canada and I have seen people starting tiffin box business but fizzling out later. I want to start something small and get some experience. Something I had in mind was like opening a stall in some event or farmers market happening around the city and selling some simple food (like medu vada, batata vada, kesari). Anybody tried anything similar? What was your experience?

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

No first hand experience in the above industry. Friend(being an excellent cook) of mine tried this business at home, but over a period of time it was more draining and not worth the physical labor compromising health. Not to discourage you but indian cooking is more strenuous. Sticking to limited options while maintaining quality will help you establish a successful business.

At the same time I am impressed with this Dosa man Good luck.

3. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Start something easy.Indian cooking need lot of planning , time, ingredients,vessels etc.if you are aiming at events start something like lemonade selling.you acn lemons , cups,filter water etc in bulk from costco.there are good quality industry standard lemon squeezer online.you just need to prepare sugar syrup and ice cubes in advance.look for nearby lemonade sellers.any food business need city permit.indian snacks will be a hit during winter time..

Ramyarc likes this.
  4. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

In the city I live in, a lady has a FB page through which you can put in an order for food - breakfast/dinner. Only pickup. It is as expensive as restaurant food, but the food isnt as homey as I would like. Plus I cannot uber in my food.
    Tbh, I dont think she makes a lot of money per order.
    Another colleague sells dosa batter, chutneys, ready to eat rotis, pickles, sweets and savories etc. I am not sure about her pricing, but she says she charges the raw material costs as her labour charges and that it's been ok as well.

Ramyarc likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I have seen a friend try a home based food business in the US. It is a lot of effort for a small financial gain. Start small and see if you like it.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You won't know how successful you can be, till you try. I think you should go for it if you enjoy cooking. :thumbsup:

Good luck @Ramyarc! I'm rooting for you. :beer-toast1:

SinghManisha likes this.
  7. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies
    Thanks for your suggestions!!
    @AppuMom and @SpringB - agree you you. I am planning to stick with simple stuff. I read about Dosa man. Thats a cool idea! I am also planning to stick to simple yet yummy food. I am thinking of pani puri :tongueout:. One thing I have missed so much here is a decent plate of pani puri.

@pocahontas , @SinghManisha and @Amica thanks for your rooting :cheer:
    Here in Canada, I sometimes get irritated when people think that Indian food is all about butter chicken. My neighborhood is mix neighborhood, very few Indians. I want to change the face of Indian food here. Lets see how far I go. :innocent:

Nuzhath, SinghManisha and SpringB like this.
  8. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Good luck Ramya! I am sure Pani puri Bhel or any chat items will be a hit. Definitely go for it

SinghManisha and Ramyarc like this.
  9. Nuzhath

Nuzhath Silver IL'ite

Good luck!