Second Child After 40

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Ihavehope, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Ihavehope

Ihavehope Silver IL'ite

Anyone here TTC/conceived second child after 40?

If so what precautions did you take?

Thanks,
    IHH

startinganew likes this.

2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Since you seemed to have received no replies, let me share my story - which may not be directly applicable. But here goes:

I had my first child in my mid-30s. But I was so cautious (read: paranoid) with the society-ingrained belief that I was starting "too late" with everyone around me well into their second child by then.

Here is all that I did to be at the peak of my health - which in my mind meant better fertility and hopefully smoother pregnancy also. I could do it because I had no kids then - I understand it will be super hard if I were already a mother.

Reduced chemical exposure:
    - Stopped shampoos, conditioners, perfumes, moisturizers, deodorants completely. Replaced this with a very basic castille soap highly diluted and one that came with no added fragrances. (I Dr. Bronner's brand baby soap but there are many out there). For moisturizer, I switched to coconut oil fully.
    - No non-sticks and plastics in the kitchen. Moved to stainless steel, glass and ceramic.
    - Stopped using chemical hair color (switched to henna plus indigo)

Healthy eating:
    - Said no to white flour, white sugar, deep friend foods, or anything processed/refined food at home.
    - Almost no meat and minimal dairy. (I was concerned about the interplay of hormones and just wanted to avoid that could cause trouble even remotely)
    - Ate out once/twice a week.
    - Had home-cooked meals for breakfast and dinner. Tried to use organic nutritious veggies in every meal. Started washing my veggies with physical brush and diluted vinegar - if I can't get organic or if the price difference was unreasonable.
    - Chose salads at work on most days (except Friday's when I couldn't say no to all the treats available in the office cafeteria)
    - Lots of berries and vegetable juices with fibre.

Physical exercise:
    - Worked out every other day at least when there were no deadlines at work.
    - Made sure weekend plans included some physically-involved activity (hiking or long walks).

Ihavehope and Mehana like this.
  3. Ihavehope

Ihavehope Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your response startinganew! I love you name. Starting TTC all over again is scaring me...though I want more kids. Basically I want my kid to have a sibling. I feel I should atleast try to have one more. But there is a fear also about the health of the baby if by God's grace I do conceive again. I am so conflicted...