1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my behaviour correct ??

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by golden, Sep 13, 2008.

1. golden

golden New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone is enjoying their lives with their li'l ones. I have a 21 month old baby gal. My daughter is very active besides being naughty. Everytime she wants to be with me. I am also trying to wean her from breast feeding , it's only while sleeping she takes b/f, rest i give her milk in cup at regular intervals .

From last couple of weeks am really tensed regarding one thing.Although am a full time mom these days,but sometimes i get so sick n tired of my routine that i get irritated on her and scold her for her small mistakes,like spilling water,or throwing toys and the like. I dnt know if this is correct behaviour of mine in front of her. Just wanted to know,that how u moms cope with this kind of situation. Pl write ur valuable suggestions so that i can also get some tips on raising her better.

Regds
    Golden

2. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi Golden,
    I can very well understand what you are going through.
    My son is 2 and half years old and I am a working Mom.

Thankfully, i am staying with my parents who are taking care of him when i am away. And as usual, pampering from grandparents has made him a little stubborn.
    though initially his tactics were only to my mom, recently he has been showing his stubborness to me too.
    Like rolling over the floor until i come and pick him. But when i calmly talk to him, he does understand and gets up on his own and comes to me. but sometimes when i am back from office and he does so much of fussing..i really get pissed off and lose my patience.
    These days i am trying my best to keep my temper down cause , kids are really smart these days and smart enough to replicate what we parents do!

And what u are going through is just what every mom goes through! nothing to worry...but let this not continue!!
    Constanlty keep thinking how ur temper will affect your kid...so take a deep breath next time your kid does something swanky and look at her and just think "she is just learning" and this will drive away your anger!!

But i do understand that not all time we have the patience to think and act! but after all being a mom is not that easy! :)
    and cheers to motherhood! the best phase of our life!!
    Happy Parenting !!

Luv,
    Jaya

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Golden,
    You might want to look at this - much of the discussion is very relevant to toddlers.

Vanathi.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Golden,

I typed a looong response to your question but my internet connection failed and i lost all that i typed:( I'm redirecting you to the same link as Vanathi has mentioned http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/34469-how-do-you-reinforce-good.html

We discuss similar issues and you'll get lots of tips. I think you are only overwhelmed with handling a soon to be 'troublesome two' kid. It's very natural and every parent must go through this phase. Patience is the key and try to first segment what are not at all accepted behaviour and what can be just ignored. This is will help you a lot in controlling your temper as well.

From my own difficult experiences with my boy i realised that restricting a child on every thing only makes them more aggressive. If she likes spilling water, for example, tell her she can do that in the bathroom and not anywhere else because she might skid and hurt herself. Insist that she'll pick up any toys that she throws. All these will not work over night but i assure you that these tips have worked very well for my boy (he's now 3.5 years old)

And don't worry.. it's only natural, we're also humans, to loose temper. But we must only remember to correct ourselves and make things better the next time. After all the child learns most from observing it's own parents. If we keep that in mind we'll be very careful with our own behaviour as well.

Latha

5. golden

golden New IL'ite

Dear Jaya,Vanathi and Latha,

Thanx a lot for the replies.am so very relieved to hear that am not the only person going thru this phase. I read the articles in the links provided by u all,I'll definetly try n implement them while handling tantrums of my daughter.

Cheers
    golden