1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does Metabolism Slow Down Post 30?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Just a general topic..

i have heard so many ladies complaining of weight gain in their late forties during the pre menopausal and post menopausal stage which is perfectly understandable due to hormonal changes..
    But my doubt is whether metabolism slows down drastically once a woman completes 30 years?

So many of my friends and relatives have told me that during college days I.e late teens and early twenties they could eat all they like and Be slim while they are not able to lose a single Pound of weight once they reach late twenties and cross 30..like even early thirties..
    Or are there so many other factors involved , like maybe we more sedentary in late twenties compared to college days and more availability of junk food and more stressed out due to work pressures along with family commitments especially those who have kids?
    I saw some of my old college photos and felt so upset....those days even eating healthy was enough for me to maintain the weight..now many years later even eating healthy and doing excercise isn't enough for me to maintain my weight stable and stop from increasing...

Is 30 a magic number for slowdown of metabolic rate?is there any scientific basis for this.
    Please give me your opinions..

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True metabolism changes for every decade.It slows down.

However, with the right kind of foods and right exercise ,proper sleep,not having hormonal Imbalances one can rev up Metabolism.

Weight loss at any age is certainly possible.

Apart from exercise and strength training..
    Try carb cycling and intermittent fasting

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There is no "magic number", but there are averages for each decade of life. Genetics, physical activity, sleep, diet, all play a role. In general, your metabolic rate does fall as you age.
    Yes, there is. The metabolic rate can be measured. Usually, energy expenditure, whether resting or during physical activity, is calculated in terms of METs or "metabolic equivalents". If you have a university or a med-school near you, especially one with a sports team, you can contact their sports physiology department to assess your fitness level and calculate your body composition, resting metabolic rate, oxygen uptake (VO2 kinetics), lactate thresholds, etc. If you wish to increase your level of activity systematically and track METs, they can help you design a program. Services at universities are relatively inexpensive (~ $75 to $150 depending on the measures you want).
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. sokanasanah

Continuing:

Here are some examples of university labs that cater to the public:
    Stanford: Human Performance Lab
    UNC: Performance Center
    You can use the keywords from those pages to locate a lab near you.

If you find metrics motivating, then it's good to get such testing done - maybe once a year. An alternative is to simply use a calculator like this one to calculate your Resting metabolic rate (RMR). Free apps such as MyFitnessPal will automatically do that for you. It may not be what an athlete interested in peak performance might use, but for most people, it is quite adequate.

If you find numbers paralyzing, in the sense that they make your goal seem distant and unachievable, then start by paying attention to the quality of the food you eat, the macronutrients, meal times, sleep, and include modest exercise. Eliminate sugar to the maximum extent possible.

Small steps in the right direction can produce gains that may not be visible. Cosmetic gains and wellness gains are not the same. When it comes to health, the perfect is often the enemy of the good.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  5. Needtobestrong

anika987 likes this.
  6. Needtobestrong

I'm living in India...
    Not sure if medical colleges around my locality have such lab facilities to check METs etc..

7. sokanasanah

In the cities these days, there's some version of pretty much everything; but you're right - such facilities may be hard to locate in India. Just use the calculators then. They are designed to incorporate statistical information based on age.

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Answer to your query is a simple NO. Medical science recognises three different type of metabolism in humans and metabolism Rate varies daily including night a little, over the fortnights and over the four seasons (including rest periods in women) every person
    The question is general and omnibus. I presume it is free to render opinion irrespective of gender of the responder.
    2. It greatly depends life style and food habits that one adopts. The mechanism to make a person obese or slim and trim begins at tender age according to me .
    3. I make this statement after study sports persons and some celebrities life in various geographies.
    During rest period by adopting change in food habits retards or halts diminishing estrogen which has a bearing on metabolism.
    4. All Keralite sports women growth would vouchsafe for it. Tennis aces would lend credibility to my statement. Lazily following a fixed life style is not good for all time and all season all ages.
    5. In hindu practices it is prescribed when and when not to fast, how long to fast; and metabolism has bearing on waxing and waning of Moon, paths of sun periods, seasons change and the exact rituals to break the fast the following day .
    6. Ayurvedic, unani, homeopathy and religious rituals festivals in all geographies have all holistic approach and prescribed methods seemingly unscientific but couched carefully differently to help the humanity irrespective of gender. Women and men during their productive life were engaged between sun rise to sunset in various healthy activities that was beneficial not only to society at large but also to themselves in their avoiding afternoon nap, turning couch potatoes, sedantric life style!!!
    7. Thirty or not, one’s steady life style largely determines much much earlier in life the shape and weight to attain in later years.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God has given organs to exercise small hands to eat less and created night to sleep to ensure one produces optimal Serotinin & Melotinin.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Needtobestrong and messedup like this.