1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Living With Husband As Single....need Advice Please

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Anusri13, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In addition to what Laks has suggested and cautioned, here are some things that you can do to buy time and change home environment so you feel less "the world is ending" kind of panic and can give it cooler thought while also making it more bearable for your daughters.
    The decision to talk is actually a smart one. Go about it a little differently. Don't approach husband any more about it. Start to de-link your issues, his silence and your call to MIL. Make that damned call. Just talk to her and be done with that silly issue. Choose a time when neither you nor she will have too much time to talk. Have some solid excuse ready or have your daughters nearby and give them the phone to talk.

One thing at a time. Get that phone call out of the way.

Then, slowly start to get a grip on yourself. The turmoil and rollercoaster of mental anguish that you have been through would weaken the toughest of people. Take time till at least the end of this academic year. (Isn't it often the case that we measure time by school-year events!).

Should you decide to really go for a divorce, and see that decision to the end, do not start by telling him. He is already being secretive about his coming and going. You can also be secretive but not in the childish way he is going about it. After the call to MIL, be calm and cool for a day, as calm as you can manage. Just let the day happen to you. Don't engage in long discussions about what happened. Tell him that you are reflecting on the past few months and need time to do that. That is all. Don't mention divorce, his mother, his silence, etc etc. Be somewhat pleasant, not passive-aggressive, be predictable but don't express too much of thoughts and feelings. You need some weeks of semi-normal life to be able to think through things like divorce.

When you are really ready to take the step of divorce, things like "don't want to give an impression that I am being stubborn...." will be the smallest of your worries.

First priority is to calm yourself down a little. Then, steps towards financial independence and researching divorce in your state. Google is your friend. Be careful with browser history. Even in private or incognito mode your browsing history might be logged in your internet-service-provider's admin menu or somewhere like that. Don't put anything in writing and not even in phone text or voicemail. Not to scare you, but just match his silence a bit. This page for example shows how property and alimony in Virginia can be impacted by the judge's view of "bad" behavior or "spouse at fault".

And lastly, do remember that posts on IL are mostly not delete-able after your edit window is past. There is no such thing as total anonymity on the internet. Frankly, things in your case will not come to a divorce, but, better to be aware that what you write here can be read by anyone, any time.

I am sorry you are having to go through this. You will have to be your biggest strength. Try to calm down a little and think through things a little coolly. Meanwhile, husband letting daughter watch too much TV and bad-mouthing you are minor things, let them be.

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anusri,

I read your post and wanted to say a few things-
    1) your husband has shown you what kind of a person he is in 12 years. He will not change. So I think your choosing to divorce him is a good idea.
    2) absolutely do not go telling your husband that you want a divorce.
    3) google for a good divorce lawyer in your city and meet a few of them.
    4) get your passport (preferably your kids too), documents together in one place in your safe keeping.
    5) most important thing- try and record your husband when he is telling your daughter bad things about you or when he is talking badly to you. I cannot underline this enough.
    6) US courts look at parental alienation as a very serious thing and what he is doing now will land him in big trouble custody wise.
    7) start saving some money.
    8) get copies of last 3 yrs tax returns. Also of bank statements if you can. This is important because chances are your husband might hide some money when he finds out that as per law you are entitled to half of everything he has earned during marriage.
    9) you will be entitled to alimony and child support.
    10) don’t be scared about leaving a horrible marriage. Don’t listen to people who tell you to keep adjusting and compromising with nothing in return. They are not living your life and have no idea of the impact it has on your psyche to suffer emotional and verbal abuse on a daily basis. Choosing to walk away from a highly toxic dysfunctional marriage is absolutely the right decision to take.

Message me if you need more advice but please get away from this abusive man at the earliest.

Take care and all the best.❤️

rachaputi, DDream and senorita2019 like this.
  3. agdimple333

agdimple333 Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I also went through your post and all the suggestions, they are great and very practical, biggest of everything is you have to think a long term with patient and calm mind set such as ability to handle it emotionally, financially etc.

I want to put light on some of the things that you have mentioned:
    I have 2 year old and my husband is not talking to me since then. We talked in between only very few times. Things became really bad when my daughter's 1st bday came and i had big plans and he shut everything down by accusing me that his parents are not coming because of me (i did more than a dil should do for his parents but his mom has done lot of damage to our relationship by smartly manipulating things, she tries to be nice infront of him but want me to be killed behind). Anyways so i start looking for different apt etc. and then in some time i figured out it would be hard to live without him emotionally. (I have a job and also manage to keep my paychecks in separate account. )
    Last year i again got a chance when his parents were here for 2 months, we started talking and i did more than i should do for his parents but as soon as his parents left , the SILENT TREATMENT started again. Plus he does 0 for our daighter. He doesnt know where is her daycare.
    I have told him few times that i am going to leave but he has taken it too lightly.
    I feel hurt , used and cheated and i know that nothing is going to change. So getting strength emotionally is biggest thing.

So trying to say that talking to your mil may be something you may want to do but that doesnt change men. If they have no feelings towards their wife he would purposefully come to you listen to you instead of abandoning you.

Please think with peace of mind, and take some counseling if needed. You need to be very strong to take the steps instead of doing soemthing in anger.
    All the best! May God give you lot of strength and peace while dealing with this mess.

SCA likes this.
  4. hino

hino Silver IL'ite

I really liked your suggestions. Lets see the case in a different way .
    A) OP had fought with his parents and husband got irked by the parents complaint about wife and her parents.. He got angry and may be expecting Sorry or more than that. The situation is not clear, who started the fight or how it leaded? . The silent treatment is better than abusing each and every action. Some where and some one will understand and be together. With limited knowledge about the situation, who are we to give suggestion of getting divorce with little 2 cute princess.

B) OP never said about divorcing her husband. We are all here to raise the voice and giving tips to go for divorce and save her financial help. The trauma she will go through 2-3 yrs after divroce, no one can imagine.

Advice should be positive to make turn her life fruitful . The laws, regulations & alimony is not sufficient to live peacefully.

If she asked , how to take divorce and etc, your points are 100000% valid . dont conclude and give suggestions how to secure to get divorce advices.

I am signing off this thread even though you agree or disagree.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Please read her reply #32 in this thread about her decision on divorce and request for more information. Also read replies given here by Iites before and after that post. OP only knows her situation better and what is best for her, others also suggested not take any emotional decision. It should be the last option. The suggestions here are based on her own replies and request for feedback.

I like to know male perspective. What a woman should do if stuck in an unhappy and emotionally abusive marriage. What if she tried her best and still its not working

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    hino and SunPa like this.
  6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I think , inputs from OP will be more useful to proceed any further.

7. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Hino,

The OP had very clearly asked for advice on how to go about getting a divorce in an earlier post-
    Let me add something here - from the info given by OP herself, she is going through enough trauma right now. She has tried to adjust and get along for 12 yrs. She is deeply unhappy. Her husband has been emotionally abusive and trying to alienate her kids from her by bad mouthing her to the kids.

Not talking for a couple of days to process something is one thing but this is something else. I understand how deep rooted this phobia against divorce is in our culture and where you are coming from. I have been there and experienced it myself. First of all, I do not think the OP is talking about it lightly. It takes a lot for an Indian women to even think and then consider divorce. It is not an easy decision. Instead of trying to shut OP down by - she should at least know her options. She is an adult and can assess what meets her needs and what does not. To not give her any info is I think extremely cruel and siding by her abuser. What does it say about us - "yes, we will listen to your pain and be here for listening, but if you want to take any concrete action and walk away from the abuse, that makes us very uncomfortable and we cannot help you then. We would prefer you rather stayed in a miserable marriage because that way at least you and I are both in our comfort zones."

About the kids - they absorb the environment around us. You think they are not noticing the tension and toxicity in the family and getting affected by it? They are learning the same dynamics that they are experiencing and watching their parents do. Where do you think these behavioral patterns in Indian marriages are coming from even in 2019? The abuser or controlling person has watched it happen in his/her own family and is unconsciously repeating it. An unhealthy, toxic family environment is not what a child needs or wants. Sometimes its ok to stay separately and the kids see that both the parents are happy by themselves.

Here is some relevant information from a non profit for domestic violence-

"Am I Being Abused? (A Checklist)

Provided by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

Look over the following questions. Think about how you are being treated and how you treat your partner. Remember, when one person scares, hurts or continually puts down the other person, it’s abuse.

Does your partner…

____ Embarrass or make fun of you in front of your friends or family?

____ Put down your accomplishments or goals?

____ Make you feel like you are unable to make decisions?

____ Use intimidation or threats to gain compliance?

____ Tell you that you are nothing without them?

____ Treat you roughly – grab, push, pinch, shove or hit you?

____ Call you several times a night or show up to make sure you are where you said you would be?

____ Use drugs or alcohol as an excuse for saying hurtful things or abusing you?

____ Blame you for how they feel or act?

____ Pressure you sexually for things you aren’t ready for?

____ Make you feel like there “is no way out” of the relationship?

____ Prevent you from doing things you want—like spending time with your friends or family?

____Try to keep you from leaving after a fight or leave you somewhere after a fight to “teach you a lesson”?

Do you…

____ Sometimes feel scared of how your partner will act?

____ Constantly make excuses to other people for your partner’s behavior?

____ Believe that you can help your partner change if only you changed something about yourself?

____ Try not to do anything that would cause conflict or make your partner angry?

____ Always do what your partner wants you to do instead of what you want?

____Stay with your partner because you are afraid of what your partner would do if you broke-up?

If any of these are happening in your relationship on a consistent basis, talk to someone. Without some help, the abuse will continue."

Abuse is not only when someone gets drunk and hits you. It can have varying layers and forms.

Yes, one should work on relationships and try to nurture them and grow them. But one should also know when it is ok to walk away.

hino, SunPa and Laks09 like this.
  8. Anusri13

Anusri13 New IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    Thanks for all of your continuous support and knowledge sharing. That all helped me so much to think through the situations.
    To update on my current status and kindly please pour some feed backs and your valuable opinions on my decision and changes I made in my life.
    I have made my move similar to reply #41. I spoke to my MIL and cleared that issue. I took a U turn on my divorce decision and compromised with my husband for my daughter as I have been noticing my daughter's deep craving for us to get back together and that depression making her moody always, loosing herself in thoughts and falling behind on studies. After seeing this all, I am scared my divorce decision will make her situation even worst. After all I wanted a peaceful life with my kids and I couldn't see it when my daughter is not happy and no hope that she can take things and get stronger, understandable eventually knowing her as a highly sensitive.
    One thing I understood clearly is we can not make our life how we want when we tied up with kids, especially when they are pre-teenagers, their feelings and opinions plays a crucial role.
    Anyways, after clearing my MIL talk, I had a discussion with my husband and asked him that he need to make a call to my parents same way as I did since he fought with them too. When he denied on that and said it will happen after certain period of time, I firmly said we shall continue our life style same as it is except in our daughter presence until he resolves the call to my parents. The whole compromising thing is for my daughter, so we both decided to be just as normal as we were when ever she is with us.
    After all this as I am not interested whole heartedly and it was me who fixed the issue, who took the pain, who is thinking of our kids in a true responsible way and compromising for kids sake, buried my feelings and self-respect to see the 2 girl kids future in a family. I would take some period for myself to become normal with him on a day to day life style having a continues sense that he got nothing for me and I should have no expectation. But it turned out as a condition from my side because of his decision and I get to buy some time. Not for the divorce, but some time to settle myself, take care of my self peacefully aiming to built my self financially capable, get physically and emotionally strong just in case for future worst cases with him.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Gallant likes this.
  9. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

When we buy an expensive item like car, house, etc...if it's not working properly, we don't throw it immediately. We first try our best to fix, repair it. If not, we dispose it at our last resort. Husband and wife are expensive materials to dispose off immediately.
    Good luck!!!

SCA likes this.
  10. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Glad you took the first step and ironed out the issue with your MIL.

Hope one day your DH will iron out the issues with your parents and be nice to you.

But one thing - You are faking out a life in front of your daughter and leading a diff life in real, I feel by protecting your daughter you are sabotaging yourself. I was doing the same thing and went into depression.

When my son was 12, i told him I am divorcing his dad, he cried and was moody for 1 week. I explained how unhappy I am, how I am leading 2 lives, how its all for him and how I am craving for a peaceful life. He thought about it for 1 week and clearly told me " Amma, Pls dont live with Appa for my sake, I am ok to have both of you in 2 different houses. I want you to be happy, you love me so much and I cant make you suffer more". Today me and my ex spend quality time with our son, both of us pour all our love and 3 three of us are happy and peaceful in our own lives. If I had lived with my ex, I would have lived a terrible life and he also would be in anxiety/fear as to what drama I am going to do each day.

Just telling that divorce is not a the end of a child's life or their mental capacity. Kids bounce back from worser events.

Dont let your husband treat you like this, give an ultimatum and get yourself prepped for positive or negative

SCA likes this.