1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Managing Kid Alone In Michigan With Husband In Another State

Discussion in 'Indians in Michigan' started by Bhanulakshmi, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hey ladies...
    I currently stay in West coast and got a job now in Michigan.
    I am planning on getting my 2 year old kid with me.
    Anyone from Michigan managing kid alone???
    As I haven't stayed in snow area, how feasible would you think it would be managing alone???
    new job, weather change, new daycare.....please give tips for managing...
    I am planning to stay in Farmington hills location.

2. blooms4me

blooms4me Bronze IL'ite

Hi @Bhanulakshmi , Congratulations on the new job! We stay 45 mins away from Farmington Hills but go there a lot. Its a nice place with lots of Indians. So finding a babysitter or daycare shouldn't be a problem. Managing a kid alone is not that easy but I am sure you will get used to it. check out Miindia.com - Detroit Michigan Indians website

Bhanulakshmi likes this.
  3. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

If your husband is used to taking care of your child alone and your child is also comfortable with his/her father, leave the child back with dad until you settle down in the new place and work, may be few weeks. And then bring the baby with you. It would be so difficult for you to get everything sorted out - new work, new place, new daycare.

Or the best option would be bring either yours or his parents and leave the child with grandparents temporarily until things settle down, either at your husband's place or here in Michigan with you.

Good Luck!

Bhanulakshmi likes this.
  4. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

@daksh idea is excellent! In case both options can't work, try to get a nanny (even if more expensive than day care) for the first 6 months at least. That way you can save on commute time, and during kid's nap time, nanny can help with some basic home chores - simply tidy up, veggie cutting, kid laundry, kid's food, snacks etc.

Bhanulakshmi likes this.
  5. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hey Thank you ladies for being so welcoming and all the suggestions...
    my H would be coming fr 2 wks and settle things down and leave kid with me...
    if its getting tough , my mil might come and can leave kid with my H in CA.(dats a rare thing)..
    yea will even keep an option of nanny in my mind if things done work as expected...
    thank you once again yaar...

6. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

I did this with my one year old some years back. I choose good daycare near my work. So i could spend maximum time with my baby. I called cleaning lady every 2 weeks also got food from outside initially. So yhete was less stress and tiredness when I was learning new skills. It all worked out well. I used to give shower to kid in evening to get rid of all daycare germs bacteria. initially kid got sick often but my office allowed me work from home for that day or so. I made friendship with other apartment moms. They also helped me. I invited my neighbour's for dinner or lunch when my husband was in town. We all are still very good friends. It all worked out well