1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Health Conscious Buddy!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 7, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Syamala's feedback made me think. What she says about first comment being on weight is absolutely true. What if people stopped commenting on size completely? Imagine how wonderful life would be. As it is fat people are doomed to wear clothes based on X, XX, XXL, 2X sizes etc. Note, the letter X is used for 'unmentionables' e.g. X-Rated. Which is akin to equating fat/obese to an obscenity! Is it fair, I ask you! Is it fair???

kkrish likes this.
  2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,
    I usually do not participate in discussions involving human proportions,and weight. Being naturally, generously constructed creatively by God, I have taken my size as given. No amount of exercising, dieting or discussing will delete a few pounds, here n there. And I am at an age n stage, where weight doesn't matter anymore. My father was always a wiry 64 years, walked twice a day, coached cricket twice a week, ate moderately, stayed off oil n sugar, and promptly at 64 years, died of undetected cholesterol n heart congestion. This taught me that one can do all one needs to stay healthy, but when Dharma Raj comes calling, He never returns empty handed.

So, Cheens, stay well endowed, we like it. It gives us more of you to love you. And that you keep bringing up such simple topics to contemplative levels is awesome.

Cheeniya, kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

All your favourite ILs have given fb. I don't know to write like them. Your post makes others to think and interesting to read. You bring a smile on everyone's face with your posts

People always bother about others more than themselves. One of my husband's friend used to ask my daughter from where do you buy rice as she was thin.

I have always been thin only after 50 had put on little weight. Now again due to health problems I have reduced. It is better to be thin . I believe life is to enjoy and eat to my heart's content.

Some people put on weight because of happiness and some when they are sad also put on weight.

Now a days many are health concious and they think eating rice increases weight. It all depends on each one's health I think not because of eating.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Cheeniya and kkrish like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    My dear Viswa
    Thanks for the 'bhoni'. This assures me of at least 20FBs (including my replies of course!)
    I will respond to you in the reverse order.
    A friend of mine who is not 100 yet but a little older than me was advised by his Doctor that he should avoid tripping and falling. When my friend told him that it was not in his hands, the Doctor shot back that he was aware that it was in his legs! My friend, thus warned, has started crawling to avoid falling at home. If anyone looked askance at him, he would say that he was in his second childhood!
    This reminds me of a story. A TV channel went to interview a hundred year old man who jogged regularly, never drank alcohol and avoided rich food. As the interview was going on, there was a huge noise from upstairs with hearty laughing. When the TV guys looked at the old man, he said 'Oh, it is my dad! Having a booze party with his old classmates in school. They have been having these cocktail binges from their college days'!
    You are right. Fitness craze is on its all-time high these days. I too wanted to enlist myself in a gym nearby. The owner asked me to contact him after a week. He said that he has ordered for a heavy-duty treadmill and was expecting delivery soon. He said that he could enroll me straightaway but he was more concerned about the well-being of his clients. The new machine would stand up to 300kgs, he added proudly!
    Sri

gorgeous23, Viswamitra and kkrish like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@gorgeous23
    Dear gorgeous
    That's the best advice I have come across on eating. I have read someone declare 'I eat whatever I want and let the food fight it out inside my tummy'! People are becoming more and more weight and figure conscious and the hotels are mighty worried about losing their clientele. I once attended a dinner. As I was walking around the spread, a friend came near me and prevented me picking anything telling me that it was poison in the garb of eatables. Finally, I ended up picking two pieces of cucumber salad with his approval. I made a quick exit from there and went to a good hotel nearby to have my fill!
    Sri

kkrish likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@satchitananda
    I understand your depression. I asked a chap who was on ferocious dieting why he was forcing his views on others and preventing them from eating whatever they wanted. He asked me in turn why the gluttons forced others to taste everything saying that they tasted heavenly. Spanish Inquisition is a lot kinder than these diet watchers. Why can't they be like Lord Emsworth who kept feeding his pig Empress of Blandings and kept admiring his torso for hours together?

gorgeous23, kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  7. Cheeniya

@SpringB
    Much obliged SpringB! Appreciation acts like an elixir on me!

8. Cheeniya

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    None can conceptualize as Bach can! And the best part is that we can apply his quotes to any situation in life including eating! Nobody knows as much about what they are missing as the dieting guys. That's the pathos greater than what the Bard could ever conceive! In clubs around here, the seniors advise the new members to chase a whiskey with a whiskey! It applies to food too. When I see a dieting guy preventing others from eating what they want in a dinner with a lavish spread, I get insane with murderous rage. The biggest killjoy of the planet is the guy who pioneered dieting. Once I visited a friend who literally starved himself to death in the name dieting. There was a large Laughing Buddha prominently displaced in his drawing room. My heart bled for my friend on seeing that statue.
    Thank you and that keeps me going merrily!
    Sri

Srama likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

@kveena
    Dear Veena
    They have to. I once saw a board in a huge corporate outfit displaying a board reading 'Keep moving. Otherwise, our sweepers will mistake you for garbage and sweep you off'. Having something to say always perhaps belongs to that genre.
    That's a good one! It reminds me a story of A, B and C in Stephen Leacock's Literary Lapses! By the way, men loose interest in looking young beyond a point because they know it's no use fighting a losing battle! In that respect, women are more tenacious. A famous Tamil comedian of yore always loved to act as an old man in his youth. When someone asked him about it, he replied that it was far more difficult to act as a young man when one was beyond sixty! He was obviously having a dig at a popular hero of those days!
    Sri

10. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Cheeniya Sir,

In a way we are indebted to your friend as your conversation made many of us laugh. Whenever I visit my friends parents and another aunty in SriLanka, every time, without a miss, as soon as I arrive they will scan me from toe to top and comment on my weight. Initial years it used to irritate me but now I laugh. Now dieting and exercising have become a must conversation and if we don't talk about it they we are in a loss they think. I loved your snippet and the replies thereafter.
    Vani