Gestational Diabetes At 28 Week

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 16, 2019.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I had heard about it a lot and now I found out i have it. I kind of knew the way I was not able to take care of myself and with all the stress at home + work and fights and way our eating was. On weekends, I would be so stressed in my home, I would go away out of house in fury and stay 2-3 hrs hungry at lunch time and then crashing and eating lot of halloween candies in my purse then cookies then later in the evening come home to eat junk like pasta .. I feel so bad now that i am putting myself and my child at risk.
    I know it is normal in many women these days but i am so overweight that i can not walk and my back is like bent already.

We do not eat rice everyday but yes it has become convenient food easy to cook and then left over all the time, many days i have eaten 3 times rice. Doc told me to stop it completely.
    Its hard for me to home cook everyday with house hold chores, cleaning and office and body pains so we have been eating out a lot..l ike a lot. My H is not very very supportive or caring honestly.
    I do not do any excerise at all. I have active toddler + 8 hrs of job + breakfast + some other chores, they all tire me a lot and hurt my back enough to not to worry about weight or cooking healthy.
    Doc is recommending me to dietician for strict diet but i worry they will put me on salads and chicken. Not really good on salads in cold weather and hardly i find time to cook simple meals, forget about making multiple things, salad for myself, regular meals for kid etc. Combination foods or just salads/healthy foods do not work with my family.
    I do not know what to do? Any suggestions.. I am very worried.

2. jyotiparab

jyotiparab Silver IL'ite

First of all a big Hug to you.Just relax and calm.
    Visit the dietician and follow the diet as per the doctor says.
    Try to outsource some work like laundry and check whether you can get some one who can cook for you and your family.
    Remember Sugar can be kept well in control with proper diet and exercises; so don't worry.
    Stress will not give you anything only high sugar :)

sindmani likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

jyotiparab likes this.
  4. Ishaan10

Ishaan10 Bronze IL'ite

I was in ur shoes only...now im having a 3 year n 3 month old...dont stress about gdm too much...nowadays its way more common...join in gdm support groups, that definitely helps...how about ur sugar numbers are...i can suggest u some food plan what I followed n worked for me...

5. sanjuruby3

ishaan, yes plaz about food plan.

However, I can not cook a lot or stand a lot infact. I make 5-6 chappatis and have to sit as my back starts hurting and tummy feels falling. i am thinking of ways to cut down chores. I have reduced laundry but then its bigger loads and have to carry up/down.
    Then me and me kiddo are like picky eaters, me because of acidity issues and toddler is very picky. so balancing is getting hard.

I can not take off from work bcos its new job but i am thinking to take 1-2 days off next month to rest.

6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Op you can buy chapati and cut veggies and cook gravy n side dishes.

Dal, mixed veggies gravy there are many one pot meals.

I had gestational diabetes too.
    This is what my dietician had recommended.

Eat more meals less portion.

Include more veggies n protein(egg, paneer, chicken)

Use broken wheat, quinoa , bulgar wheat as substitute to rice. I use quinoa or brown rice with regular sambar n gravy. Try cooking more portions in weekend .

Don't stress listen to music, weekends take walks with kiddo in mall or any big shopping areas. Relax.

7. sanjuruby3

problem is i can not walk or stand much. I get lot of backache. Morning I cook breakfast and go to office and stay seated mostly. Take more breaks because of frequent pee need. Then in the evening i come back, my back starts hurting so much, i cook with great difficulty and have to sit/lie down a lot to reset myself. Then on weekends it is terrible, because of household work, even though i stay seated, but lot of up/down, back pain is much more.
    I do not know if it is GD related, weight related. Last time, i was walking a lot and even working out in between.

This time, within 3 weeks of doc visit, I gained 8 lbs ( can not believe it).
    Did you have normal delivery after GD? or early delivery than scheduled? any complications.

8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

During last trimester, back aches do come. Take frequent rests in between standing to cook. Try not to continuously stand , this might cause more back ache. Please ask your gynaec for few exercises to be done and breathing techniques. I did those and felt little better.

9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 congrats on your second pregnancy!

I've just completed 38 weeks with my second one and I have had GD in both my pregnancies. With my first pregnancy, it came as a shock at 28 weeks since there was no family history. However, I was able to manage without eating rice and replacing it with healthy options like buckwheat, quinoa, chickpeas or other beans, barley etc. This time I only ate white rice throughout because of my long list of food aversions. I did not have constant nausea after first trimester but with second pregnancy all of the whole grains that I ate with my first pregnancy (and even otherwise normally) would cause me so much of nausea even now at this stage of pregnancy. So, I only ate white rice and I managed my blood sugar levels pretty well just with diet without any need for medication.

Here are the things that worked for me.

1. For me, white rice vs roti did not make much difference at all. So, I stuck with white rice as this is easy to make. I am from south, so anyway I ate rice mostly throughout my life. But I ate only long grain basmati rice (not due to GD as such, but more about it being tasty) and I was very conscious about the portion. Portion control made huge difference for me.

2. I always ate veggies along with rice. I like vegetables in general and I made non startchy veggies every day. My blood sugar would be high if I dont eat rice with veggies.

3. I always walked for 20-30 mins after lunch and dinner. This helped greatly with improving insulin sensitivity and made a lot of difference. So, in a day I walked almost an hour, not at a stretch though.

4. I added ghee to rice pretty much all the time. You need to add fats to avoid spikes in blood sugar especially when eating white rice. It was fine for me since my total calorie intake was not way too much even with ghee. I gained overall 25 pounds in this pregnancy which is not too much even though I was overweight before pregnancy.

5. We eat idly and dosa almost every day. It was from brown rice and urad dhal. This also helped me. I anyway stopped white rice for idlya nd dosa long ago.. so this was not for my GD but still I think eating brown rice vs white ricef or idly/dosa makes a difference in blood sugar. You still have to portion control though. I only eat 4 idlies or 3 dosas with ghee and othe usual side dish.

Regarding your query about normal delivery with GD, I dont think it directly affects your chances of normal delivery. I naturally went into labor at 38 weeks 3 days with my first and it was an easy delivery. I think me walking consistently every day helped with my chances of easy normal delivery. I hope it repeats this time too.

But if you have to take insulin to manage GD, then depending upon other factors (like other risk factors and complications) your doctor might decide to induce at 37 weeks. If you manage through diet only and if there are no other complications, then they probably wont induce you before due date. If your 1st pregnancy was a normal delivery, then dont worry because in any case your chances are great for a normal delivery this time too. If first is c-section the talk to your doctor in advance if you want VBAC.

10. sanjuruby3

HI @sandhya
    Good luck to you. Hope you have quick and normal and safe delivery. I have 2 months to go yet. I recently had another GD test since i was on border. Problem is I have so much going I am not able to take care of myself. These days my H has become bit supportive at home and started cooking.
    I know i need to eat healthy and walk a lot. Last pregnancy, it was warm and i was able to find time to walk. Now, it is so cold and with kid and work and back situation, i am not able to manage everything and myself is going as last priority. :-( If I can get extra minutes on bed, that is like a blessing.