1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unhealthy Food Habits

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by VandhenaKrish, Jan 4, 2019.

1. VandhenaKrish

VandhenaKrish Silver IL'ite

Dear All , After a while I hv got time n frustration to post this. . So i want to start with this .. i m married with a 3 yr old n 6months old in my womb . .. Husband into business n mother in law is a single parent .. Since my marriage I hv had n hvng the concern about their food habits .. They buy lot of oily food from outside n frequently buy food from outside .. my mil s 89kgs my hubby s 107 kgs .she has lot of health complaints like can't walk much knee pain varicose veins high bp thyroid etc .. N my husband s obese very obese doesnt workout no diet .. After my arrival it buying outside has got reduced but not much ..

They buy those chilli chicken with too much color nn parotta made with maida always .. today MyMy mil asked my husband to buy the same n i asked him not to eat outside atleast this time n i made him paniyaram n coconut chutney Lalonng with tomato rice.. I cook all three meals everyday n i don't say it should be totally avoided but the shops are that local n palm oil food.. he had paniyaram n insisted me to go up n had wat his mom bouggt ..

After he came up v had real arguments n my son was trying to console each other (V don't argue in front of him n v r generally a very happy family ) Am i over reacting ? When am ready to do , i dunno wat makes her to buy from outside.. Doc has aaked her to reduced 20kgs asap. If v ask for help that time alone she makes faces n report a lot on her healtg. Arey I am really worried about my husbands health ..Expecting replies

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I think it just taste of outside food which is driver in most cases, people like eating out bored with regular food.

You can give a try making items at home which they buy outside regularly like chilli chicken etc. look up VAHREVAH... his recipe is very good ..

It may help to some extent but try and make it well as per revere and not go for low fat versions in the first try... once they get out of buying that item from outside then you can go to low fat versions .

anika987 and virtualkv2020 like this.
  3. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Please dont stress yourself during pregnancy,it does more harm than good.Relax! Can you hire a home cook to make all the dishes they like to eat ? Standing for long hours in the kitchen to make special dishes during pregnancy is not advisable.

After child birth and recovery,you can try making the foods they like at home,skip the deep frying part and opt for baked versions using an oven or an air fryer.I have tried using vahchefs recipes and oven to skip the deep frying part in order to preserve the nutritional value,it works beautifully with a teeny bit of compromise in the taste.This also removes the hassle of standing near the hot kadai for hours!

Here's what I tried - I used paniyaram pan to make bondas/koftas instead of deep frying,baked bajjies and pakoras in the oven, baked whole wheat aloo/veg/chicken samosas,baked fries,prepared gobi manchurian,chilli chicken and apollo fish with a slight modification.Instead of deep frying gobi/chicken/fish, I baked these first after coating them with the batter and then seasoned with the required tadka as per vahchef's recipe.I am yet to try baked chaklies.

anika987 likes this.
  4. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Armummy and Kveena has given you excellent suggestion on the food and cooking. As they said outside food always is not advisable. it comes with a long list of ailments.
    Along with this y don't you take up some exercise with DH and MIL. Start with walking (family time) in a park. and then gradually enroll in some gym and believe me if they start seeing results they wouldn't want to eat out and stick to the exercise.

anika987 and virtualkv2020 like this.
  5. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

What frustrates me is why cant the men look after their health? Dont they understand the family and its future depends on health of the adults?
    When they are literate and have options at their finger tips to understand the importance of good food.. why cant the lazy bums wake up?
    Did their moms spoil them? If yes, then they are adults.. y cant they use their brain to understand the simple logic?

Y should a pregnant woman take soo much of efforts to make ppl older than her understand? Shouldnt their brains and experience help them?

6. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Is the H a baby? Why does the wife have to mimic outside food so that H reduces outside food? I think men have too much time in their hands to get spoiled

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vandhena - I've been hearing this from so many women, SIL included. Unfortunately, unless your DH makes up his mind, you can't help him. Diet is about willingness and baby steps. If he isn't willing to stop eating outside food, he will continue down that path, despite whatever you make at home. At one point, it isn't the hunger, it's almost an addiction(especially to deep fried, refined flour and sugar-containing foods)
    If he can go for a complete health check in one of the hospitals and see his cholesterol numbers, it might help. I also found that in Blr/Chennai there are yoga trainers who go home to teach yoga. A few of my relatives are using this facility to get into a daily yoga/walking schedule. Maybe if you pay for the trainer, he may start a routine at least.

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Sorry , I did not realize you are pregnant ... so either you need to hire a cook or take your husband to a dr and have dr read out all healthy risks and get his health check up done , with high weight he is bound to have some or the other symptoms related to high weight gain or cholesterol , if your dr puts fear of life in him than he may change .

Also this is the time you need to take care of yourself , not your husband’s eating habits. Set that aside for few months , not the right time to worry..

anika987 likes this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is very uphill task to completely stop outside food , it is tasty and easily available when you want hence you go back time and again.

When you stay in India it is especially hard to avoid everything , outside India we can still avoid because no of restaurants are very less and cost ,you get bored .

Try and make it at home might help tomextent if the dish is close to outside food otherwise people will go back.

Every person needs to realize for themselves their health risks , no one can do it for them , you can try , may be once baby is here and you are ready for weight loss down the road , you can include him on exercise routines like walking which you can start even now or get him to reduce his portion size

anika987 likes this.
  10. VandhenaKrish

VandhenaKrish Silver IL'ite

@armummy Pregnancy ? Come on dear .. Due to that n all i can't stop making anything less . I make almost everything at home cheese balls , sandwiches, gravies, pulao, starters, healthy juices etc .. poor thingsthing s am a vegetarian n his mom cooks non veg. . Sincs she s not interested to cook she does buy from outside .. But honestly not for veg n non veg am asking them to not to buy outside even if its plain parotta i would restrict.. Ours s luv marriage n v r a couple with very lil differences , very happy ppl .. Wat i feel s one day atleast y cant he say no to his mom inspite of her buying from outside just to value my concerns .. May be pregnancy hormones make me take these seriously but i cried heavily for this thing. Starting the weekend with new hope on work. . Yeah forgot to mention that i m running a preschool in this town .. . So work n parents keep me high n Engaged.. @Laks09 Tq for ur words too. . Yoga gym everything is waste for them. . They don't continue it .. Ok i agree these are based on interests but if not me who will care for him .. my MIL has lived her life. V hav jus started .. feeling valueless when he ignores my views on this .. anywany happy weekwnd folks