1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Deep Dilemna Wat Options Do I Have Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ravioli1970, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

so sweet Laksh! i appreciate it v much! he has tried its not that easy he cut down his resume but companies dont hire coz they know once u find something they better u will leave. i have a coworker whos is IT sales who finally got to 62 and quit looking and took early retirement. i feel atleast he is not quitting! u have to give him a lot of credit for that! its not easy to b in that roller coaster every few months. im just tired looking at it, living w it. so i dont want to judge him . just v mad w his drinking which is making our future darker which scares me. i pray this dark cloud passes for good he finds something long term and somehow gets to retirement mark. we have also thought abt moving to dubai but just dont know where to start. plz guide me if u have a clue ty ty

Laks09 likes this.
  2. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I think moving at this age to a new third country is risky - if you are thinking of moving out of US, it may be better to move back to India. It is not easy finding jobs in Dubai and it is super expensive there as well. Thing is IT managers are one too many (honest truth, I am not trying to offend you) and companies prefer hiring someone with experience on latest technologies that can speak to a digital audience.

It is the case everywhere - option is to move laterally or make compromises if you want to stick with what you know best ( less money, lesser known company, contracting etc.). Looks like your husband has tried this - I am not sure what your husband does, but if you can provide additional details I maybe able to help.

You need some financial/ credit planning if you are worried that your husband’s scores could pull you down.

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hello ravioli,
    I am wading in late but pretty much the other posters are right. It is kinda an open but dirty secret that middle management positions in us corpns have been steadily trimmed away till there are barely any. It’s part of the cost cutting measures or something. There are plenty of c suite positions and plenty of jobs for the younger crowd under 40 and esp 30 ‘s to 20’s crowd. The fact is the kind of experienced jobs your h would be eligible for with his years and experience just don’t exist in those numbers. The few that exist are fiercely guarded by incumbents and extremely competitive. One option may be for him to join a startup I don’t know whether he is mentally ready for that given his depression and his drinking.

But just venting and hoping something will happen or workout is not the answer. His depression could be because all of you are dependent on him. Let the kids know, may be that will give him mental strength. are you really averse to going back to your old investments field? Market is lot kinder to women these days thanks to the various movements and more awareness. You may be luckier than you realize. With the tightness in job market even with big gap you will be looked upon kindly as you have no immigration issues and are a us citizen.
    The economy is in a downturn and things may get worse. So prepare with that mindset. Look at your positives, mortgage nearly paid off kids in college and try to leverage. Bottom line it is not just your husband many families with sole breadwinner between ages 50-65 is in same boat.

Laks09 and Shanvy like this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

When our parents gen managed with one income and 2 or 3 kids + expenses of extended family + kids weddings before age 50.. why is that this gen who have better education but cant find job security and early retirement?
    I am just trying to answer myself..

pocahontas likes this.
  5. ravioli1970

he does IT service management

6. ravioli1970

u r right sandhya no im not on this forum coz im looking for other people to find a solution for us. like someone said earlier life does find its way so shall be Godwilling. what im trying to find is have i not thought of any options or have i brainstormed everything that i possibly cud in this situation. i am working long days thinking of even the weekends or switch to corporate w benefits if he doesnt find anything. i havent tried it but if need be i will. i am not a quitter but a survivor and working hard has never been a problem. infact i dont know any other way

7. ravioli1970

i am totally in sync on this one w u coz india pays u less but u r in the job forever. i dont know how it is now but back then it was

8. ravioli1970

living conditions in india r v hard, dubai i thought was a good combination. i know their economy is sinking ive heard but im sure banks do hire as my h has always worked for financial institutions

9. ravioli1970

ty for listening and helping out. it means a lot to me. appreciate it very much HAPPY NEW YEAR with HEALTH & HAPPINESS to all

10. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

Definitely not! I have worked on six continents that actually have financial services ( Antarctica has none and I am in IT for FS as well) and I think Australia and Europe are the best places to live if you want to live outside of India. The Australian IT market is kind of getting saturated as well. Entry requirements for Europe are high. I have worked in Dubai and getting a permit used to be difficult. Preference is usually for a European passport holder. I am not sure how it is anymore.

India has the best mix - there are high paying jobs, money will buy you everything including domestic help, it is not too expensive, good standard of living plus the cultural equation. Especially now, most banks have/are opening captives in India and most jobs are moving to India.