New Bride And Lamp

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Saya83, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Post marriage, when I entered into my husband's house with lamp, the lamp lit off.
    It was a big nila vilakku (traditional lamp), the one used in kerala house with three cottom wicks. And i was supposed to keep it down in our bedroom. When i entered into bedroom and bent down, one of the wick slowly drifted back to the oil and got extinguished. It gave me the shock of my life and ofcourse to others standing there.
    I never discussed it with my family ie my parents or sister, as i dont want them to get upset or tensed.
    Now its been 8 years post this incidence,but it still haunts me and especially when somebody else uses it against me to show how unlucky i am.

Now i want to know, what's its significance, how will it affect me or my family, and what should i do now? Any pooja or prayer that can help me. I know i cannot erase that moment from my life, neither from the memories of others. I can't shut their mouth either... But for my satisfaction, can i do something?
    Please help.

2. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

OP, we hear you, I am sure we all have at least one such incident in our own lives. 8 years is a long time to carry such a burden. Let me share my thoughts and I let you choose to consider or ignore them. Either way is perfectly fine with me. I know this is a very sacred topic and something close to your heart. I respect that.

Significance is what YOU give to it. Period. If you believe it has got nothing to do with your life, that will be true. If you believe something might happen, that too will become true. So, whatever you believe will eventually be proved right. It will NOT affect you or your family in anyway. If I were you, whenever someone said I was unlucky because one of the wicks got extinguished I would jokingly, with a smile, say something to the affect, "I was too young back then, was kind of tired after all those ceremonies and feeling a bit playful and blowed a bit of air to see if it will put off the lamp and sure enough, it did put off a wick, like you all saw. That's when I said, Wow, this works and stopped blowing further and that's how the other two wicks remained lit. Now when I look back, it was just an error of judgement on my side so I laugh at myself and have since moved on so you too please move on" .... and all through this I wouldn't let the smile fade even for a second. They might not like it but at least they won't come back.

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Saya83,

Why are you carrying this irrational burden for the last 8 years? If you or your family are watching the Saas-Bahu serials please stop watching them as they are famous for spreading such meaningless ideas. If the lamp issue had any real significance, it would have shown it's results within weeks or a month. God is with you and you are enjoying his blessings; why are you mistrusting his benevolence and trying to hang on to some blind belief?

Now refresh, take a deep breath and thank God. Seek His benevolence and guidance for now and forever.

Don't worry; be happy!

Period.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

The lamp ! I was taunted at by a priest post our wedding at a temple in south India for not knowing how to light one nicely. :worried:.
    I agree with Geeta the idea of bad omen being linked to lamps is perpetuated by Hindi cinema. Totally unnecessary and not worth losing your sleep over this.

5. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Lalithambigai and geetakashyap. Your words means a lot to me.

Lalithambigai and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

You are welcome :) I didn't have this handy earlier. You can bookmark, if you like, to come back whenever you feel like it. It will also remind you that you are not the only one carrying stuff form way in the past :)