1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected Fallout With A Friend

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by hridhaya, Dec 20, 2018.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

you are right. we suspect that they shrank the lease period to 3 months so that they could increase the rent if we stayed back. But as you said, if we didn't agree upon the T&C, it leaves us only with 30 days to vacate the place. There is no equal fairness in the agreement or their argument.

I really appreciate you analysing this with me. Thanks so much

2. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Interesting pov. The old owner was indifferent about it as he was not responsible for installing it. Safety nets are more a "nice to have" feature in the balconies and not something compulsory that must be provided by the owner. We primarily covered the balconies for protection from pigeons and monkeys :) As time went by, monkey population increased in the building.

I agree with you that if we wanted to claim the expense back, the old owner would be the right person and not my friend.
    On the same note, my friend should have deducted the painting expenses borne by the old owner, if they wanted to be fair. We were never the beneficiaries of the better quality painting services done by them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@hridhaya from everything you have posted it looks like she was planning to increase the rent after 3 months. Looks like the lease favors them in any situation. Honestly you shouldn't be the one who should feel awkward. Next time when you visit India make sure you dress up nicely and enjoy visiting your friends in the apartment complex.

sindmani, Viswamitra and hridhaya like this.
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you can contact the lawyer who drafted the contract and have him send a notice.

This should help you.

What they did is fraud and you should get money

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Probably depends on the city.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So owner chooses painter, colors and vacating tenant pays? Painting happens after tenant has moved out?

Or, owner simply deducts part of deposit as painting cost?

7. Laks09

Yes, true. It is done for the house though. I would have paid for it. It's not a small expense. I always asked tenants to deduct from the subsequent month's rent if it was something like this that made sense to have in the house.
    The owner probably never lived in the house and never faced having a monkey rummage through the entire fridge and ransack the kitchen completely.

True. I used the same service before and after and hence there wasn't cause for grief. Our painting cost was mentioned in the lease though. Most leases have it. If she was irresponsible enough to not mention it, you can technically contest it. I wouldn't go through the hassle if I were you. I would also not be friends anymore with this friend!

8. Laks09

We hired a company to paint before the tenant moved in and expected the same from them when they left. All except one guy just paid us for the painting to be redone. The one guy didn't even pay rent the last few months to make sure deposit got drained completely before leaving. It's not easy to get good tenants. This homeowner friend of OP is going to regret treating her like this.

SunPa and Rihana like this.
  9. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

The agreement was not drafted by any lawyer. New changes were made to the old lease that we had signed with the previous owner.
    Appreciate your thought. Where is your apartment in Bangalore? Tell me. If we return to India, I am going to give you a call to check if your apartment is available:) My husband and I were pretty ok with the idea of renting instead of owning a house as it gave us more mobility but this incident shook us a little.
    Fair enough. It gives the tenants the choice to accept or decline the agreement before they move in. What irked us is the sneaky attitude of her and her husband. They were not even prompt in returning the deposit. It took them a month to return the deposit after reminders from us. I hated to follow up amidst running around to set up things here. At one point, I felt I was almost begging her to return our money. She would constantly be busy with her family and her work. It doesn't mean she is free to ignore her responsibilities to others. When we were intimated about the credit of deposit, there was no mention of the reason for which the extra rent was deducted. I pinged her as soon as we found out and she took about two days to get back. I was pinging repeatedly from time to time even in these two days. Imagine how frustrating it would be.
    The old owner lived in the same property for a decade and later shifted to a newer community. What you say about the monkey ransacking is very true and the things became worse in the last few years in our community.

Lastly why I am little hesitant about visiting my community is because we have some common friends in the building and I have a feeling she might badmouth me that I didn't oblige the contract and hence quit friendship when I was penalized for the same. I know for sure she is capable of doing this if she wanted to. Should I just say I don't want to discuss about it if someone brings it up?

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Chiming in a little late but looks like you got some good advice already. Looks like you got a raw deal from this person. My sympathies.
    Of course not! Why should you avoid the question? You didnt do anything wrong. If someone brings it up give a condensed form of the truth. condensed means not entire 'raam katha' but just in couple sentences - She overcharged us, she changed the lease terms after vacated and made up charges to keep extra money types.
    but... it wont come to that. Such people wont easily change their spots. Something tells me in the couple years it will take for your next visit your ex-friend would have racked up a couple more notches to her belt, so what you have to say wont come as a surprise to anybody in that apt building.
    When you go next time, meet all your friends to your heart's content and dont even spare her a thought!

Laks09 and hridhaya like this.