1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Raise 4 Yr Old ..do Not Know Anymore

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sanjuruby3, Nov 20, 2018.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Viki123
    So your son showers in the morning. Kudos to you. Just yesterday I was telling my DD, from next year of school, you should start shower in the morning instead of night.
    Also showers works opposite for her and me as well. It does not relax me to help me in sleep, infact activates me. So night time specially after dinner, just makes her awake longer.

Also, when do you wake in the morning to do all these activities? Like prepping rice, and manage kid. I wake up at 7 and for 1 hour, i stand in kitchen just cooking breakfasts. I get so tired after that. Then clean up myself and leave for office. My DD sleeps late and wakes up late like 8 - 8:30 then all that drama to get ready etc. So my H has to take care of all that since he also wakes up late and sleeps later than me. Phewwww
    I wish life was bit easier with kids. I wonder what i was doing when i did not have any.
    Dishes in sink just stresses me. Not matter i cook or not, dishes will be there looking at me.

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 , how old is your DD? Does she nap at school?

When we were going through the phase of sleeping late, we changed her from a napping classroom to a non-napping classroom and that helped. She would start getting sleepy early.

Also, in my case, with my younger child, what I discovered that she did not know to play by herself, she constantly needed someone to play WITH her. And we, as parents needed to arrange our schedules to be available to play with her. So if I had kitchen work in the evenings, the only way I could keep her engaged was with the TV. What I started doing was to encourage her to get her toys out to the living room, close to the kitchen so I was able to spend time with her, while I was doing stuff in the kitchen. Also, like Viki mentioned, meals were kept simple and cleaning up was happening simultaneously while cooking, so it got a little easier.

What also worked for us was to tell her in advance that she is allowed to watch only 1 episide after school. And we strictly turned off the TV after that 1 eposide or whatever, and we were available at the end of that episode to engage her in other ways, like painting or a board game or something, so that she is distracted enough to forget the TV. My husband travels a lot and often, it is just me handling the kids. Since your husband seems pretty absent, just start treating him like that, and do what's convenient for you.

You mentioned cooking breakfast, what exactly are you cooking in the morning? Get the child used to eating cereal or bread, things that you don't have to specifically "Cook". If you have an instant pot, keep some pasta in it the night before on delayed timer so you just have to mix the sauce the next morning to pack her lunch. For the evening, prep by keeping dal and rice on delayed timer before you go to work in the morning so that you are not starting from scratch in the evenings. If possible, chop vegetables over the weekend and put them in the fridge so all you need to do is get the out, steam and tadka. While this minimal cooking is going on, just straighten up the kitchen a little bit.

THe key is to find smart ways to work, and not get stressed. If you are stressed, you are in a bad mood and obviously teh child is bearing the brunt of mom not being in a good mood. Which means the child is also reacting unfavorably. Be a happy mom, ready to engage with the child and just see the difference in how she would react to you. Prioritize her needs, if that's resulting in a messy house, so be it. You will eventually find time to straighten it! If husband invites people home, just have a good time with the friends yourself. Recruit them to help you with cooking, like ask a visiting friend to help in chopping or clean up while chatting with them. Understand that providing food and keeping a clean home is not your responsibility alone. Show husband that if he doesn't cooperate, entertaining will happen as-is. If friends are exposed to a messy home, so be it!!

All the best!!

Editing to add, my kids have always showered in the mornings, before school. It is definitely convenient in prepping them to set them into a routine. Wake up, brush, straight to the shower, get dressed, breakfast and school. You wake up about an hour before the child, shpwer and everything yourself, wear home clothes, get dressed while daughter eats breakfast and leave the house with teh child.

Editing to add some more things that helped me -

While making dinner in the evenings, I would ask my children to help me clear out the dishwasher, like making it a fun chore. I would ask her to climb up on the counter to put cups and other stuff and she would find it fun. Similarly, I would ask her to sort the spoons and forks etc., like a game.. anything to keep her with me and not want to go to the screen.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    sindmani and viki123 like this.
  3. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls.

I recently observed if i play with her, she listens to me. She asks me to play with her but I come from office so tired and kitchen is looking at me so I do not . 1-2 days we had take out and WFH, so I played with her and I observed that.
    Thats how her dad works, he plays with her sometimes or watches TV with her so she listens to him. Anyways. I will work on it.

Also about kitchen organization, breakfast we have either bread or omelette , i cut up some fruits for her... unfortunately she does not eat anything in breakfast and cereals not at all. When she was little she could eat boiled eggs etc. Now she refuses that also, hence breakfasts are hard.
    Lunch packing - I have switched to nights even if I have to cook new batch of rice, I do it at night after dinner and pack it already to reduce morning rush.(Earlier I used to cook rice in morning since it only take couple mins &I used to have everything ready).
    Now slowly I am starting to cut veggies over weekend or freeze tadka.
    My kid is picky in eating this is problem for me.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Yes he takes shower in the morning and evening. This has been like that since he was a baby. Morning shower is more to wake his body. He will just play in the water for a while. In the evening he takes it just before dinner. I don't spend time with him there, i just help him in removing/putting on clothes rest all he does on his own.

I wake up at 6 and have everything planned & ready. For my DS morning is a routine, he gets ready in about 30 min. Not much fussing as he sleeps by 8:30 and loves going to school. Mostly my DH takes care of him.
    Breakfast even my DS is picky, i give him cereal bar, home made cookie, muffin or lemon rice. Most of them are prepared on weekend. Out breakfast is typically tea, egg and some leftover which i make in a batch. For lunch its always previous night left over. Morning I make DS lunch, pack our lunches, prep fruit, cook eggs & prep rice for night. It takes me 1 hour.

I did read your other post, and my DH is some what similar, so i try make balance. My DH also love movies, i allow him to watch after my DS goes to sleep after 8:30. On weekend night i don't care just give him his freedom. It depends on u and DH to make a balance.

Dishes and cleanup I do after my DS sleeps or during his dinner time. We do dinner together, while he finishes his i dinner i do cleanup. I don't feed my DS, its a huge time saver.

Don' stress about simple things like dishes, keep ur priorities and work accordingly. As @peartree said involve ur DD they like it. Some of my time savers are:
    1. Weekend/night prep work
    2. Not feeding DS/ or giving him bath/shower.
    3. Keeping my DS in schedule. main Bedtime, food & wake uptime.
    4. Investing on kitchen programmable gadgets like Instant pot. Use of food chopper. oven and make simple meals.

Keep in mind, Ur health is more important than anything.

sindmani likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

Thanks Viki123,
    I got IP and still have to explore all of its features to leave it on overnight with delay timer etc. We do not use it everyday.

I have started freezing meals or masalas slowly and precut veggies. Not feeding my kid, huf... we tried that, i do not know if its girl thing or not, my DD do not take a single bite her self then shower, i have to spend 1 hr in prepping her for bath ...like forcing her to comei n bathroom, take clothes off, then i cleanup etc then she enjoys 20-30 hr alone in bath.
    Its great your kid is in routine.
    mine is picky eater.....specially in breakfast, won't eat cereals, bread or even boiled eggs or any flavored rice., upma poha..nothing...just milk. I started packing lunch itself in the night to save time,

So we are stuck with boiled rice or plain roti with curries.
    I cook breakfast in the morning hence no dinner prep time in morning. Lunch is leftover and pack at night itself.