1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Movie did you Watch Today????????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Victoryman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanvy
    which language is movie 96 ?

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Seema Raja - box office flop!

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Watched Sarkar - Vijay Deepavali movie

I used to like Vijay movies, regardless of the story because for his dance, songs, and the comedy part in his movie.

Not the usual Vijay movie. Everyone is after the CM seat these days. Kamal, Rajini and now, Vijay.

But, Vijayakanth achieved his fame in politics to some extend.

upload_2018-11-6_13-3-7.png
    upload_2018-11-6_13-3-38.png

A politician says in her twitter - An actor can dream of CM post only in his movie.
    AR Murugadass's 'stolen story' talks about illegal voting story.

Factu, factu!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    curlytweethere likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

May be because Godly people, Jayalalita and Karunanidhi is no more! :rolleyes:

poovai likes this.
  5. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Tamil

Actors : sethupathy and Trisha

Shanvy likes this.
  6. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

savyasachi - kind of not that great..did not go well..he needs to look for good stories..

sarkar - too much political references, and as long as you convey something feasible it is fine..i did not like the way he keeps blowing and puffing his cigarettes..knowing how kids emulate these mannerisms, a very bad example.. hypocritical?? looks more like a movie done as political vehicle..

shravs3 likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

watched sonata a shabana azmi and aparna sen movie and loved the nuances potrayed by these beautiful actresses..
    and that led me to watch iti mrinalini and konkana does a beautiful job.

went on to watch pather panchali satyajit ray classic, only indian movie to be listed in the best movies of the world list.. i wonder if bandopadyayji would have envisioned such a powerful potrayal of his novel..it is a beautifully done movie, and it still feels good as the first time i watched when it was first aired on dd national regional movies afternoon segment...

9. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Watched "96" and loved the character of hero. I know we can't find such kind of true lover in real life so I just felt happy seeing unconditional and pure love in the movie.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Lalithambigai likes this.
  10. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Happy Deepavali everyone! Took a week off from work for Deepavali and had fun spending time with family and relative. I also took advantage of the long holiday to catch on some of the films that made news recently. So, let me start with

Ever since Sun TV advertised that they were going to show the film during Deepavali, I was eagerly waiting to watch this. But on the day it was shown, I was too hectic and dozed off halfway through. A few days later, found the HD print on the internet and watched it…alone.

I expected it to be slow and perhaps not engaging even. Yes, it was slow moving but I must say that it was highly engaging. However, despite all that the good things that the film has, something did not seem right to me about the film.

The movie moves back and forth between the flashback scenes and the present life. I absolutely loved the flashback scenes. The details, the fashion, the lifestyle of 1994 was very well researched and presented in the film. The actors who played the younger version of Ram, Janaki, Subha and Murali have all done well, despite being debut actors. The scenes were so endearing and engaging that you wish that they prolong and don’t just stop at where they did. In fact, the lack of more such scenes was probably also the reason why the adult Ram and Janu’s versions failed to make an impact in me.

In movies where first love is shown (as in 96), what is more important than showing happy scenes is to show the blossoming of the first love, and the pain of the break up. That is what would make people get connected to the characters. Here, we are already shown that Ram and Janu are in love…they may not have expressed it in words but it’s there in their actions, the stolen looks, the not-so-secret smiles. The director doesn’t focus how their friendship turned into love, so you miss out on what and why they got attracted in the first place. You just know that Ram and Janu are lovers.

Likewise, the pain of losing someone is also equally important to be shown…because that would create a good foundation for the movie when the characters meet again as adults. Here, we are shown Janu feeling down after Ram leaves the town without informing anyone but we are not shown Ram’s feeling. The next time we meet Ram was 3 years later when he goes to meet Janu in the college. Again, we feel his pain for being “hated” by Janu but that’s that. The real pain of their loss was only told verbally to us much, much later by VS and Janu respectively.

Perhaps if they had shown Janu’s marriage scenes and Ram running away from it (as described by VS) or Janu waiting for Ram and following anyone who resembles Ram (as described by Trisha), their second meet would have been so interesting to watch. Here, you see Trisha and VS meeting each other after more than 20 years apart and you don’t understand why the much-married Trisha trying her best to get close to VS and why the otherwise jovial and confident VS suddenly turning speechless, shy and docile in her presence. It was only after they open up to each other that you understand a little better about their behaviour but by then it was too late for us to re-analyse their earlier behaviour.

The scene where Trisha breaks down is probably one of my most favourite scenes in the film. That one scene shows their true character in real life. When Ram left the town, Janu was left clueless on why he would leave without telling her…why wouldn’t he come back looking for her…why didn’t he inquire about her to her friends. She had so many unanswered questions in her and Ram’s one confession that he did come looking for her at the college broke her up- if she had known, she would have been spared the misery of not knowing why he failed to come to her all these years, she would have been spared from merely living in a non-happy but peaceful life. The missed opportunity of talking to him one last time, of getting a closure one last time …she missed all these.

On the contrary, VS was a picture of calm and content, even when he got to know the truth. There was disappointment in his eyes yes (“I should have waited until you come out of the college. How could I think that my Janu hates me?) but otherwise he’s calm and collected. That shows the maturity and happiness that he had gained all these years. Apart from Janu, he did not miss anything in his life. He’s happy being on his own, travelling all over the country, taking pictures (or like what he says, “freeze the moment”) and enjoy the outside life. Which is probably why he has never been interested in getting married…not because he was thinking about Janu all the time but probably because he was just not interested to get into a relationship after Janu left his life. I really don’t wish him to get married anytime soon…a person like Ram who is happy and content with his life being single should continue to do so. Getting into relationship is only going to make him miserable, not unless he finds someone that he truly connects with…(p.s: the scene where Prabha and her friends are led to believe that Janu is Ram's wife and the subsequent scene where Janu tells Prabha and her friends about their love story seems to be copied [or they call it "inspiration" nowadays no?] from Mr. and Mrs Iyer. Just felt like saying it :tonguewink:)

I also like the reunion and the way it was shot…friends meeting each other after 20 years, the feeling of seeing one another as adults with families of their own. The longing of going back to their school days just to be care-free children one more time, everything was shown beautifully. You can understand why everyone had tears when Janu sang the lines,

“Evarum Sollaamale Pookkalum Vaasam Veesuthu
    Uravum Illaamale Iru Manam Aetho Pesuthu
    Evarum Sollaamale Kuyil Ellam Thaena Paaduthu
    Ethuvum Illaamale Manasellam Inippaa Inikkuthu
    Oda Neeroda Intha Ulagam Athu Pola
    Odum Athu Odum Intha Kaalam Athu Pola
    Nilaiyaa Nillaathu Ninaivil Varum Nirangale”.