1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Alternative View - Open Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by nandita24, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

I feel freedom is the most essential ingredient missing in marriage; thereby giving rise to a whole lot of issues.

2. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

Open marriage couples = Swingers.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    sbonigala and SinghManisha like this.
  3. beinghonest

beinghonest Senior IL'ite

Human sexuality is so wide with so many different dimensions to it. Since we don’t openly talk about our sexual nature we either think we are odd for having a certain feeling or project our own sexual nature on to others & think all are like us. We need to decide what relationship fit our need better, for some like me, freedom is important so I have it even though it is challenging at times. Another person might not be keen on having freedom.

All human relationships comes with different kinds of problems, we trade one for another depending on what we want. There is no perfect relationship model. What I want in a society is for it to accept the choice of individuals without being judgmental.

BhumiBabe and Gallant like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Freedom is traded for the expected synergy*.
    • When things do not pan out as expected, it would seem like one had traded in the freedom and got a bad deal in the exchange.
    • Marriages do not all happen after due diligence examination of the expectations, and their likelihood of fruition. There are no consumer protection schemes, or failure insurance plans, or automatic sunset schedules.

*synergy /ˈsɪnədʒi/ noun : the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

sunset schedule: Imagine a brave new world, where all property is community property
    (equally shared between the married couple) and all marriages end every five years (sunset), unless renewed by the happy couple. Renewal fees, and property division and reregistration fees in case of non-renewal would be new revenue streams for the government. Since divorces would be automatic, the family court queues will totally disappear. Everyone will get divorced, (unless opt-in for marriage continuation) and live happily ever after.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Just curious, you are a big advocate of open marriage and seem to be going on and on and on about it. Is this an excercise to convince yourself or the rest of us ?

6. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

I am not really into open marriages. This is quite a difficult step. However, it is an intermediate step. I am an evangelist of no marriage at all. I had clearly mentioned this earlier.

Actually, it is a very difficult decision to be in an open marriage. It is mostly when we are forced into it as a better solution among other things. But mostly it takes the form of EMA. Open marriage is more holistic in approach and freedom on your own terms. It is making the best of a bad bargain.

Our mindset is our enemy that makes us suffer from dissatisfaction and hoping against hope that things will improve. Or just accepting it as our fate. A whole life thus goes wasted over something we could have rectified and enjoyed instead of kowtowing to outdated meaningless and blind traditions and customs. We thus live a hypocritical life when there are better options.

My earlier post :
    Eventually, some other form of relationship can even replace "marriage" as we know it.

Children may become the responsibility of small communities of unmarried members. Not necessarily a commune - everyone will be free to pursue their calling with full freedom. Creativity has no end if we keep an open mind.

Analogy: Earlier most people owned a house on their own plot of land. Now they live in flats forming residents welfare associations that takes care of the common interests of all its members. So small caring and sharing communities will replace nuclear families.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

It irks me to think that marriage is a sacrosanct institution. And you know why.
    Interesting link:
    What's the most disturbing truth about marriage?

Amulet likes this.
  7. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

Most people cannot live a detached way of life. Maybe once leading an ascetic kind of life can have detachment. Marriage involves a strong emotional dependence and that includes being more possessive of their partners and kids. That’s how the human mind works.

In polyamory one needs lots of detachment and to avoid being jealous. This is way beyond what most humans can do. A person who is not emotionally attached to people or relationships are fit to be in such relationships.

Maybe for you detachment is much easier but for me and many other such people in monogamous relationships it isn’t possible. One shoe doesn’t fit all. So we choose what we deemed will fit us well.

And this a good read.
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.thefemininewoman.com/polyamory-why-never-work-long-term/amp/

8. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Open marriages are not easy - whether polyamorous or whatever. It is better to be single and be in polyamorous / open relationships. Less heartaches.

Also it is a question of a new mindset. A paradigm shift in the way we view things! We live in eternal romance as intense lovers!

Please set aside your prejudices and think objectively without past baggage.

Amulet likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

• Remove the constriction of marriage.
    • Be financially secure to run your own life the way you wish.
    • Go after whatever relationships you want/can get.
    • Seek no approbation for what you do (i.e., don't be open).
    A successful/happy open marriage could be neither open nor marriage. Isn't it ?
    Sounds like a Sufi poet.

10. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

A good open marriage is still a traditional marriage with all its responsibilities except that it is not restricted by parochial definitions.
    But why marry at all! Happily mingle being merrily single!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.