Finest Post Nominations - October 2018

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Or... learn to click "like". ¡ Muchas felicitaciónes, Amigita !

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii
    Thanks a lot for our nomination of @Ouroboros 's post in Selection I have just read her acknowledgement of your nomination and I can tell you that Ouro doesn't believe in the moth-eaten words of the Bard that 'Brevity is the soul of wit'. She believes in long conversations or exchanges as the basic requirement of good companionship. That makes her a very unique member and a valuable asset to our community.
    Ouro's incisive probing into the lives of the '20s and '30s did make me sit up and squint at the monitor more intently.
    "A fledgling relationship in thirties is drastically different from a fledgling relationship in twenties. In twenties, you are committing into a relationship at the prospects and not the proof which could tank in some cases. Like, the girl finds a job sooner in campus than the boy who still struggles through the employment. The relationship falters because the girl, at that juncture, does not know if that togetherness is skewed and encumbered."
    I see it all in retrospect and cannot agree with her more!
    By the way, your reference to Nietzsche is quite intriguing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Rakhii likes this.
  3. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Brevity is the soul of wit and in the manner of that soul is elusive and intangible. Blather may be the less flattering carnality of wit but at lest the bulge is never lost on the listener.

If someone bursts out in a joke:

'The dyslexic devil worshiper sold his soul to Santa.'

You can expect the laughter only in five minutes after that twister is disentangled notwithstanding the Santa Singh in the crowd confused why and when the dyslexic sold his soul to him.

But, if it were:

'Once upon a time there was a dyslexic who faltered with spelling. He was fed up with his life that he decided to conjure up the Satan and strike a bargain with him to remediate his spelling by selling his soul. When he summoned the devil, a jolly fat man singing 'ho ho ho' with chiming bells appeared. That jolly man is popularly known as Santa.'

You can tell this joke to the African bushmen and expect a retaliatory laugh pronto never having known a snow-fleeted Santa. Tell me, don't long dialogues have less ambiguity in them when some flesh is piled up on that emaciated soul.

Viswamitra, Rakhii and Cheeniya like this.
  4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

The button "like" is for busied generation who are ever going somewhere or returning from somewhere and punch a like in medias res to make their warm and kindred presence felt. I, on the other hand, button-hole and not button-like the poster with my earful of unforeseen drone on how much I liked that post exceedingly than 'like' gesture that I likened it for a thorough reply. How can I reduce that heightened gesture with a thrift like-button when Vakdevi has endowed me with an unflagging tongue that can chatter for hours with no inducement. You like-for-like compared me with Obelix once. Obelix might have tripped over a potion of magic but I tripped over the broth of jibber-jabber. Nothing more satisfying than puncturing an unsuspecting victim with unwarranted talk. The virtuous silence is only gold-plated, tell you, the uninterrupted talk is that 24-carat gold. The common wise must have confused them both!

Viswamitra and Amulet like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This thread is now closed. Let us move over to nominations for November 2018

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.