How To Choose Obgyn And The Maternity Hospitals In Usa?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by gknew, Oct 25, 2018.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I moved to US 2 years back. I don't know completely about the medical system here.
    I got my positive pregnancy test at home today. This will be my second pregnancy. I had my first delivery in India. So,i really don't know where to start with. How to choose the OB or the maternity hospital.
    I know it all depends on the insurance which I have. I am just looking for the parameters i should check before choosing the hospital or OB.
    I have an OB near my place and it is a OB office(only one OB in that office). Not a practice. I am on a dilemma to choose an OB from a practice (where there will be many OBs) or single dr office. And should i consider the hospital also where the doctor delivers? What should I check while selecting the hospital? And do the hospitals have any OB office inside?

Please share your inputs.
    Thank you.

2. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi congrats on your pregnancy. Check the obgyn near your place(Google)
    Look for MD. You can find about then in health grads website. There you can find the review , insurance they accept , hospitals they affiliated, speciality in the fields.
    First check for the hospitals were you are going to deliver the baby( Google the reviews) look for the doctors who are affiliated with that hospitals.
    Call the obgyn office and make an appointment. Usually they will give you appointment for 6 th or 8 th week.
    The delivery will be done in the hospital where the doctor is affiliated.

Hope I have covered everything. Sorry if I missed anything

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for your reply. Appreciate it.
    I will check in health grades website.

cinderella06 likes this.
  4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Sorry You can also look other hospitals where your doctor is not affiliated.I forgot the details .

gknew likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh..Okay..
    Will the doctor deliver in other hospitals which they are not affiliated with? I am not aware of this..Just researching online and collecting some info...