1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech Delay Update.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by viki123, Apr 19, 2018.

1. divyarao3

divyarao3 New IL'ite

Thanks @anika987 for your reply. The Harbor region center suggested Pediatric Therapy Network, Torrance, CA whether they teach for the early intervention kids weekly 3 days with ST, OT and PT. Me, my husband and my Kid we went for a tour but my husband is insisting that he does not want my kid to go to there because initially they will teach with signs about want more food and for his name and my kid might only uses signs and never learn words, is it really so? Please suggest. Also, I am reaching out to our insurance to check about ST and OT today.
    And we will be going India in July last week for 1 month trip. My kid was born in US and when he was 10 months me and my Kid went to India and returned when he was 16 months. When he was in India he watched iPad most of the times and we did not much concentrate on his speech, we concentrated more on his legs because most of the relatives commented his walking style was like my husband, I thought bow legs something like that but it was not so.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Don’t worry abt the past.

First thing is expose your child to surroundings and stimulation is necessary.Keep talking to hi continuously.He is only 19.

My kid started fluent talking slowly after 2 and now it is non stop.so relax.

However,never stop getting help.Early I ervention first evaluates and then an instructor even comes home and practices with the child.Most important they will clearly say if the child is showing autistic symptoms or not.Please use that help.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@divyarao3

I would suggest go for the therapy, teaching them with the sign language is first step to make them in-depended. then they will start with speech therapy & language too as per their development and age. My DS was also speech delayed & he spoke his first word at 2 years, now they placed him in autism spectrum and will start the Spl Ed program in Aug, he is 4 now.

As per my Pediatrician and school board, their goal is to make the kids independent and attend school with regular kids by 6. And most of kids out grow by 6 and this program will help in giving them the push/guidance needed.

4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

@viki123

How's it going with your ds?
    Just the speech diagnosis led to placing on the spectrum?

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

He is doing good, picking up slowly now. Along with speech they mentioned eye contact and repetitive words. This was done by school board and my pediatrician did not feel a need for developmental pediatrician evaluation as the services provided by school would be sufficient for him.

Personally I feel he is very shy and doesn't do eye contact with strangers. He repeats the words when he doesn't know the answer during a conversation.

Our school district is very pro-active in addressing even minor issues with the kids. One of his pre-school teachers mentioned that, even with mild symptom they place in spectrum & start spl Ed as soon as possible to address the issue. These issues can be resolved easily before 6.

6. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Thank you for replying. Good to hear the little one is picking up.

7. divyarao3

divyarao3 New IL'ite

@viki123, @anika987 and @Vennella - On friday we got a call from Harbor Region center saying that the Pediatric Therapy Network has given the date July 17, hopefully thing will get better with my DS. There is a good improvement we are seeing like his eye contact got improved, he is seeing elder kids and trying to learn in the park (he is doing big slides, able to climb stairs on his own with the support). From 18 months he is going to day care and now he is 20 months, may be from daycare he understood NO word, whenever I say NO then he will get upset and cry for a little bit of time. Also, he is holding my hand and walking which again looks like he learnt from daycare teacher. But still he is not responding to his name and he is not understanding what we talking which is a big concern to me. As part of therapy will this improve?

8. Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran Silver IL'ite

Consider Homeopathy medicine along with your theraphy. It solve the problem easily. This is due to deficiency of calcium carbonate or phosphorus. Further also that it is due to your need for stability and security and protection during the pregnancy. A homeopathy doctor will solve the problem in homeopathy in one single dose of medicine.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@divyarao3
    It good that you are seeing improvement. Every kid is different and will learn at their own pace. Do go for the therapy if recommended ti will surely help. They are professionals and know how to help and teach kids.

10. Sairam2311

Sairam2311 Silver IL'ite

Hi Viki123,
    My son just turned 3 and is similar to your son. I’m doing all that we can ST, ABA etc.. I’m really worried. I read books for him but he always pushes his agenda. He never complies . How do I engage him to read books with me?