1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Me Too?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Again RESPECTFULLY disagree sir. The attitude that "If a woman goes to a pub , drink, smokes or wears a dress that shows her legs /arms/cleavage , then she is asking for it OR wants to be touched" is again unfair. There may be instances where the woman must have felt unsafe speaking out at that time. An inappropriate touch is inappropriate WHEREVER it happens. Again, I am not saying that all women are innocent. There are cases where women make false claims. But assuming that it is a lie JUST because it happened 20 years ago and the woman was in a pub , is totally unfair.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

nOW WHERE DID i OBJECT TO A WOMAN GOING TO PUB OR HAVING DRINK OR SMOKE? TTHE ISSUE IS SHE COUOD HAVE IMMEDIATWLY COMPLAINED TO THE POLICE AND NOT WAIT FOR 20 YEARS.

3. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

I am a long time lurker and never post.but this really got my goat and made me reply.

The reason the lady( not woman) did not complain immediately is because 20 years ago our soceity was tone deaf. 20 years ago if she had complained thten she would have been put on trial for her clothes, her friends etc etc. I remember even in Nirbhaya case, there were lots of people arguing that she should have been aware that a girl out in the night is inviting such a fate and she should have stayed indoors as 'good girls' are supposed to.

The same people who are supporting the metoo movement were the perpetuators of sexual harassment and that is what the women are complaining to expose the hypocrisy of the society.

It is important that these stories come out, so that the girls and woman today get the message that when she comes out and files a criminal complaint, she will be heard and it will be a fair hearing.

ratan, Laks09, nakshatra1 and 8 others like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

AND THEN, NEDID 20 BYEARS AGO DID NOT HAVE THE CLOUT NIT DOES NOW. EVEN THEN IF SHE WAS DETERMINED SHE COULD HAVE CARRIEWD THE BATTLE AGAINST THE HARASSER UNTIL HE GOT HIS JUST DESSERTS.

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

GeetaKashyap and PavithraS like this.
  6. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

In many of these case, the victim did raise her voice and she was ostracized by the industry. Most of them lost their lively hood. In our society, might has always been right and these stories are to show truth to that power.

Your saying that there should be a time limit is like saying that India should have fought for independence only for the first 100 years of colonial occupation and then just lived with it.

As for the men who have been named and shamed, they can always use the slander laws to silence these women if these stories are in fact false

ratan, sindmani, Laks09 and 9 others like this.
  7. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Nailed it!

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I think the me too in India movement is good ,it will teach males to mind their own business instead whistling to dogs or singing romantic songs in front of woman both of which can make the female involved uncomfortable.

It is good that it is out there now. Courts are there to clear the names if the allegations are Wrong. There could be couple of incorrect allegations but we cannot use those to discredit everyone .more power to media ,they should give more space to this ,anyway there are not doing much now a days

ratan, sindmani, nakshatra1 and 4 others like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Balajee Sir,

Women have always hid their sufferings simply because of lack of support, blame game, the fear of losing jobs and so on. When they did try to complain, they were asked to ADJUST(!), they were silenced or their concerns were belittled. Even at home, most women are not supported. Now because of the #MeToo wave, many are gathering courage to come out with their stories. There may be just a few cases of false reporting but calling everything false and trivialising is not fair.

Hope you don't mind me sharing a few links here:

‘Why didn’t she speak up then?’: 8 questions on the ‘Me Too’ movement answered

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    ratan, sindmani, Laks09 and 9 others like this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

How I like to see faces of suhel Seth ,Chetan Bhagat etc defending themselves or apologising to women ....good fo nothing arrogant idiots

Only disappointment is Varun Grover who denied charges but let's see what happens in his case too

MJ akbhar has to go but can't expect much from this govt which had rape accused in cabinet ...hopefully the.bad publicity will make them expel him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.