1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

developmental games and toys for infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by waitingForTej, Mar 6, 2010.

1. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies and sharing information on toys you've bought for your babies. I also loved some of your ideas to use home made 'organic' toys at this age.

Sindhu, you didn't put a damper of any kind. On the other hand, you alleviated some of my fears about my DS not enjoying his toys too much. I haven't really bought much- just a play mat with stuff hanging from top that he pushes around for about 10 minutes and that's it. There are a few rattles and teethers I got from my baby shower. But it makes sense as to why he doesn't care too much for any of these... More happy to see our faces and smile back!

In general, do you have any creative ideas on interactive games like peekaboo that 'll keep him engaged and lively? Like when we're travelling in a car.....

2. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi I am bit late in responding I recently picked up an abstract activity cube for my now 11 month old DD. What I really liked in this toy is the various activities it offers : like she can swirl the toys, shake it up and down, move the beads etc. It also has the ABC rhyme and numbers song. I am unable to attach the picture. Its from Little Tikes and I have picked this up from Walmart.

She also has a bendy ball from Baby Einstein which she plays a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstein-30974-Bendy-Ball/dp/B001UF8BL4

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

WFT, on interactive games there are various versions of peekaboo that you can play - from the simple cover your eyes with hands and then open to hiding behind a door and popping out, hiding toys under a blanket or towel etc. We also play rolling the ball - just get a big ball and roll.

Other than that talking and reading possibilities are endless, it feels weird when you are doing all the talking but I think they love to hear the sound of your voice and the intonations.

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Very true Sindhu. Babies like everything natural. Girls, I have so many toys that I can open a library now. I bought toys thinking DD would like them, but na, 10 mins and then its broken after some days. What captures DD's attention from the earlier days after six months is the key toys, where in you key the toy and the rabbit plays the drum or mickey walks about. These days the sail boat which my SIL gifted is doing some magic so whenever she cries we put it on it has a nursery rhyme "Row row row your boat". I picked up a doll and that lying there, Big size teddy and that's for me :) So now, I am going slow with toys and going more for musical toys.

DD's favorite toys still remain the newspaper, plastic bags, spoons something which is all very cheap. Sometimes I think was I dreaming when I was buying toys.

5. Fantasy15

Fantasy15 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Can you please tell me the lyrics of English and Tamil RHYMES That I can narrate to my 9 month old baby plz.

Thanks.

6. sophie1053

sophie1053 New IL'ite

Babies don't really get anything out of toys until they are quite a bit older. They are much more interested in interacting with live people rather then having a few objects to wave about. The more time you can spend with them the better off bubs will be. That doesn't mean you have to sit on the floor with them all day, it just means you can wear them in a sling while you do your everyday stuff. Have them in whatever room you are in. Chat to them like they are a person - baby talk does nothing for a baby. Reading to them, singing, going for walks .,they really only want to be with you.

If you are looking for toys .,, You have to use any types of toys with lights and music. I think these toys are good for 4 months babies to help stimulate the grasping. There are so many of the varieties available in baby toys on the market so you can easily choose toys for your baby. have fun !

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. dimpleanand2002

dimpleanand2002 Junior IL'ite

Babies love those hanging toys over their cribs, musical and vibrating toys, and those colorful rings on their baby seats and playpens. You can also check some rattles, crib toys, and bathtub squeaky ducks also. Fisher-price has a good collection and their products are good. There are some interesting things on this baby site, which you may like.

I hope it helps:)